1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12
irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
2/11/19 10:20 p.m.
Knurled. said:

In a Manowar mood.

Good thing that Sabaton took it all and put it in one song.

I"ve seen them live 3 times - still one of the best live bands out there, even if they are totally cheesy. Everyone who goes with me to their shows always says its one of the most fun shows they've been to. 

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/11/19 10:30 p.m.

In reply to irish44j :

Sabaton, or Manowar?  I'd classify both as cheesy to be honest.

There's a semi-official Youtube channel now called Sabaton History, where they put up videos about the real-life historical events behind some of their music.  There was a guy a while back who did historical videos and did three or four that had titles eerily similar to the Sabaton songs that they were about, and I wonder if they got him to do them for this new channel.  Haven't watched any yet but they keep getting recommended at me.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/12/19 12:45 p.m.
irish44j said:

Current rotation is 

In Flames

Children of Bodom

Soilwork

Band-Maid (Japanese, and less metal than hard alt-rock)

Ghost (not really metal, more like classic rock with a metal look lol)

Amon Amarth

Anthrax (only John Bush albums though)

Eluvietie

Mastodon

Baroness

Puya (Puerto Rican funk-metal)

Draconian

Propagandhi (not metal, hard punk)

and I keep listening to Maiden "Blood Brothers" for some reason.

Hey, another fan of the John Bush years. I saw them live once with him. Awesome performance. 

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
2/12/19 6:34 p.m.
Knurled. said:

In reply to irish44j :

There's a semi-official Youtube channel now called Sabaton History, where they put up videos about the real-life historical events behind some of their music.  There was a guy a while back who did historical videos and did three or four that had titles eerily similar to the Sabaton songs that they were about, and I wonder if they got him to do them for this new channel.  Haven't watched any yet but they keep getting recommended at me.

Sabaton. Cheesy, but not in a Dragonforce kind of way. Sabaton live just seems like dudes having a good time and not being too serious about themselves like too many metal bands do (especially American ones). 

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
2/12/19 6:37 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:
irish44j said:

Current rotation is 

In Flames

Children of Bodom

Soilwork

Band-Maid (Japanese, and less metal than hard alt-rock)

Ghost (not really metal, more like classic rock with a metal look lol)

Amon Amarth

Anthrax (only John Bush albums though)

Eluvietie

Mastodon

Baroness

Puya (Puerto Rican funk-metal)

Draconian

Propagandhi (not metal, hard punk)

and I keep listening to Maiden "Blood Brothers" for some reason.

Hey, another fan of the John Bush years. I saw them live once with him. Awesome performance. 

Stomp 442 was really an under-rated album. I never saw Anthrax with Bush, but I did see him in Armored Saint in the early 2000s.

Knurled.
2/12/19 9:32 p.m.

Speaking of Anthrax.... one of the reasons I am annoyed by MP3 players that pause/skip between tracks.

Even this has a skip where Intro to Reality ends (at 3:23) and Belly of the Beast begins.  The version I taped off of college radio was seamless, dangit, and that's what I remember.

Knurled.
2/12/19 10:05 p.m.

While I am ranting, and thinking about metal played by other metal:

Guitar dork demonstrates how most people can't play Master of Puppets correctly

Which, of course, leads to the most technically correct MoP cover I have ever heard, and I have heard many and been disappointed by most.  I have near photographic music memory and missed/incorrect notes are like a splinter you just can't reach.

Nobody ever gets right the part in the solo where you pull the high E an inch off the neck, though.  I accept this, since allegedly doing so broke the string in the studio.

/rant off.  For now

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/13/19 7:22 a.m.
Pete Gossett said:

In reply to bobzilla :

I don’t know if it’s your thing, but have you heard Jinjer?

Initially I was like WTF is this? This is not metal. Then it hits.... and I'm all like F yeah!  Just got added to the list. 

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/13/19 9:12 a.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

I learned it on bass back in the 80’s but just recently stumbled upon a YouTube vid that excluded the F from the 2nd riff, and thought “WTF, that’s not right?” I had no idea people didn’t know the actual riff?

Knurled.
2/13/19 10:21 a.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett :

The ironic part is, the bass for the song doesn't generally follow the guitar riff (as it should be, in my opinion) BUT if you listen to the bass-only track, you can plainly hear that the F is pretty much the only part of the bass that does.  After that it's just Cliff doin' his thing.

David S. Wallens
2/13/19 11:12 a.m.

irish44j, if you like Stomp 442, check out "The Greater of Two Evils."

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/18/19 8:14 p.m.

Forgot to look up The Hu and it randomly popped up as YouTube recommends. Not sure if its metal, but it is infact awesome

https://youtu.be/jM8dCGIm6yc

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UberDork
2/19/19 6:05 a.m.

Is Converge metal?  I decided it was what I needed when I arrived at work this morning:  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeWDfSFcwf4

Knurled.
2/20/19 6:08 p.m.
vikers said:
Knurled. said:

In reply to irish44j :

There's a semi-official Youtube channel now called Sabaton History, where they put up videos about the real-life historical events behind some of their music.  There was a guy a while back who did historical videos and did three or four that had titles eerily similar to the Sabaton songs that they were about <spam link removed> and I wonder if they got him to do them for this new channel.  Haven't watched any yet but they keep getting recommended at me.

Agree.

This is some strange new form of canoe.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/20/19 6:12 p.m.

At least some good came out of today. School was cancelled, and I managed to get to YouTube bettor beauty and the beast started again. Turns out the child really likes Cannibal Corpse, if it's not a music video.

Stormtroopers of Death was a bit fast for her, but she's coming around. 

Soon, she will be introduced to sludge metal. Should be interesting.

David S. Wallens
2/20/19 6:57 p.m.

Whatcha thinking for sludge metal? Put me down as a fan of The Sword. 

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/20/19 7:15 p.m.

I like The Sword, but I haven't heard much from them, so maybe we'll look at them too. I was thinking Bongzilla and Eyehategod have the right combination of heavy tones with distorted vocals that she can listen to them without my needing to worry about a call from school. 

David S. Wallens
2/20/19 7:26 p.m.

The Sword's solid, at least in my book. I have some Helmet playing now. Also sludgy. 

Antihero
2/20/19 8:36 p.m.
RevRico said:

I like The Sword, but I haven't heard much from them, so maybe we'll look at them too. I was thinking Bongzilla and Eyehategod have the right combination of heavy tones with distorted vocals that she can listen to them without my needing to worry about a call from school. 

Cloak of Feathers is a great song, the new album i didnt like as much though

Antihero
2/20/19 8:38 p.m.
RevRico said:

At least some good came out of today. School was cancelled, and I managed to get to YouTube bettor beauty and the beast started again. Turns out the child really likes Cannibal Corpse, if it's not a music video.

Stormtroopers of Death was a bit fast for her, but she's coming around. 

Soon, she will be introduced to sludge metal. Should be interesting.

How about Acid King? More doom but Busse Woods is a good album. Or maybe Heaven and Hell?

paranoid_android
paranoid_android UberDork
2/20/19 8:57 p.m.
Antihero said:
RevRico said:

Cloak of Feathers is a great song, the new album i didnt like as much though

The Sword albums Apocryphon and Age of Winters are my two faves.

Their latest album lost me a little bit too.  But they are still one of my favorite bands.

Two other bands that seem to be in that category are Baroness and Kyuss. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UberDork
2/21/19 5:57 a.m.

For sludge, two of the lesser known bands I like a lot are Howl and Bison BC

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
2/21/19 9:26 a.m.

Has anyone mentioned the newest Rivers of Nihil album?

This came out last year and totally caught me off guard. It's absolutely amazing. And it has saxophone. And somehow, it makes sense that it has saxophone.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
2/21/19 9:31 a.m.

Another band that I've been very high on lately is Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats. Imagine if Ozzy-fronted Black Sabbath and the later, drugged out Beatles made a beautiful sound baby that grew up loving the occult, and that's what you have with these guys. They are so good. Their latest album Wasteland (pictured below) is freaking amazing. David, they might satisfy that sludgy urge too.

barefootskater
barefootskater Dork
2/21/19 10:11 a.m.
Tony Sestito said:

Has anyone mentioned the newest Rivers of Nihil album?

This came out last year and totally caught me off guard. It's absolutely amazing. And it has saxophone. And somehow, it makes sense that it has saxophone.

Now I have some homework. Gotta listen to that when I get home and have decent speakers. This single built in thing in my computer is not gonna do that justice.

*edit.  Homework done. This is awesome. And now I think about it I don't understand why more metal doesn't use the sax. Very well done.

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CmtzSk963A8QqsLnJ2nuKL6xC2RcNT4qMNzZ46Qb7lj77BteK0w815rmnX2lVvPn