1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12
Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/21/19 1:53 p.m.
Tony Sestito said:

Has anyone mentioned the newest Rivers of Nihil album?

This came out last year and totally caught me off guard. It's absolutely amazing. And it has saxophone. And somehow, it makes sense that it has saxophone.

I have not but i will be listening to it, thanks!

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/21/19 1:56 p.m.
Tony Sestito said:

Another band that I've been very high on lately is Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats. Imagine if Ozzy-fronted Black Sabbath and the later, drugged out Beatles made a beautiful sound baby that grew up loving the occult, and that's what you have with these guys. They are so good. Their latest album Wasteland (pictured below) is freaking amazing. David, they might satisfy that sludgy urge too.

Deaths Door has probably the best opening line in a song ever.

"I dont know what i hold in my hand, can it be that im evil?"

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/22/19 7:16 p.m.

Not sure how metal, but technically it is "metal"...

Got to EvanB​​'s  place and this was cranking.

Iske!

Knurled.
2/27/19 8:03 p.m.

Recommended at me.

It's somewhat painful to see/hear someone other than Cliff playing Pulling Teeth, but Trujillo can shred.

And I'm not sure that I'd ever heard a live version of Call of Ktulu, which is ever so much a winter piece.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/27/19 8:32 p.m.

Metallica played Lincoln, Nebraska, this past September. It was the Thursday of Solo Nats. 

paranoid_android
paranoid_android UberDork
2/27/19 8:52 p.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

He can shred, no doubt!

ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
2/27/19 10:35 p.m.

Canada's own Anvil is back:

https://youtu.be/T_y1nkE5Mes

Grizz
Grizz UberDork
3/1/19 7:43 p.m.

Dave is finally figuring out how to make remasters that don't sound worse than the original.

Grizz
Grizz UberDork
3/1/19 8:07 p.m.

Related to Rivers of Nihil, bands that are equally as good:

^ This album is amazing btw, cannot recommend enough.

Knurled.
3/2/19 3:53 a.m.

In reply to Grizz :

Okay, I saw an Overkill shiirt.  Now this is stuck in my head.

(master... master... )

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/2/19 6:11 a.m.

In reply to Grizz :

We got to open for Allegaeon (and Act of Defiance) back in 2015. Those guys were super cool & you could tell they were having fun the whole time. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
3/2/19 7:37 p.m.

In reply to Grizz :

Not gonna argue with you on any of those! Seen Allegaeon a couple times real early on. Impressed the hell out of me then, and they still do. Plus, they did this: 
https://youtu.be/cWnyNjQVEZ4

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
3/3/19 12:38 p.m.

Pissgrave. Every bit as br00tal as the album art.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
3/4/19 12:22 p.m.

Went looking for something new this morning, and was not disappointed.

This is Harakiri For The Sky's latest: Arson. It's like a mix of Black Metal, Melodeath, and Atmospheric Post Rock with some Katatonia/October Tide mixed in there. One song in and it was an insta-purchase. Been dabbling in Post-Rock lately and this band is a great bridge to that. Highly recommended.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD SuperDork
3/4/19 12:35 p.m.
Tony Sestito said:

Went looking for something new this morning, and was not disappointed.

This is Harakiri For The Sky's latest: Arson. It's like a mix of Black Metal, Melodeath, and Atmospheric Post Rock with some Katatonia/October Tide mixed in there. One song in and it was an insta-purchase. Been dabbling in Post-Rock lately and this band is a great bridge to that. Highly recommended.

One of the members of that group, "Marrok," has another project called Anomalie. You may enjoy their record called Refugium (you can listen on Bandcamp):

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
3/4/19 1:03 p.m.

In reply to JamesMcD :

I'll be sure to check that out! Thanks!

JamesMcD
JamesMcD SuperDork
3/4/19 8:13 p.m.
Tony Sestito said:

In reply to JamesMcD :

I'll be sure to check that out! Thanks!

It was a bit of a grower for me, so it may not grab you right away. But I thought I'd mention it due to the connection to HKFTS.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD SuperDork
3/4/19 8:37 p.m.

I've been enjoying this one-man project from Montana: Enferens - The Bleakness of Our Constant

This is Enferens' 3rd full length...I'd call it introspective black metal with folk, doom, and prog elements, harsh and clean vocals, and well-crafted songs. If you like "golden-era" Opeth and bands like Alcest, you may dig this.

I buy physical copies of the records I think are really special, and this is one.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man UltraDork
3/24/19 5:26 p.m.

This afternoon calls for Strapping Young Lad

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/24/19 6:10 p.m.

I just discovered these guys. They’re basically a metal band, but with a full horn section. 

paranoid_android
3/24/19 6:47 p.m.
JamesMcD said:

I've been enjoying this one-man project from Montana: Enferens - The Bleakness of Our Constant

This is Enferens' 3rd full length...I'd call it introspective black metal with folk, doom, and prog elements, harsh and clean vocals, and well-crafted songs. If you like "golden-era" Opeth and bands like Alcest, you may dig this.

I buy physical copies of the records I think are really special, and this is one.

I finally got a chance to listen to some of this.  And it’s amazing.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD SuperDork
3/26/19 10:35 p.m.

I think a lot of you guys will really dig this: Danish prog metal that's cool, catchy, and rockin', rather than wanky and pretentious. It kills me that I can't buy a physical copy of the album this song came from.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
3/27/19 9:08 a.m.

In reply to JamesMcD :

Not bad, not bad at all! They remind me a lot of The Ocean.

The Danish sure like their Prog. One of my favorite Prog bands, Anubis Gate, is from there. Their self-titled album might just be my favorite Prog Metal album of all time.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD SuperDork
3/27/19 4:49 p.m.

Do you enjoy your Russian black metal mixed with accordian, trumpet, trombone, saxophone, electric violin, bowed guitar, and two female guest vocalists? This might be for you:

I love that they made this video of the entire record. This is my album of the year so far.  Spread the word if you like this - they have very little exposure.

paranoid_android
3/28/19 9:53 a.m.

This was an Amazon recommendation, “because you listened to Baroness.”

Wow, I’m impressed.  All instrumental if that matters.

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cArDYs55helWSDTzPYPwKfogsmVtBWui7vmPtNS0MOrlEf6Inyt0D60cEKFo52Dn