1 2
DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade Dork
11/4/11 10:31 a.m.

Tickets for going over the white line at a red light?

I mean, this beats Detroit's bus driver problem to bits.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/4/11 10:38 a.m.

I think I remember reading that NYC charges by the inch for the same thing.

DrBoost
DrBoost SuperDork
11/4/11 10:39 a.m.

What a bunch of money hungry pricks. Maybe you should just run the red then? At least you'll deserve the ticket!

N Sperlo
N Sperlo SuperDork
11/4/11 10:42 a.m.

Motorized flip plates.

Finally a good enough reason

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
11/4/11 10:45 a.m.
N Sperlo wrote: Motorized flip plates. Finally a good enough reason

+1, only I am not kidding

Osterkraut
Osterkraut SuperDork
11/4/11 10:57 a.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:
N Sperlo wrote: Motorized flip plates. Finally a good enough reason
+1, only I am not kidding

If you had a fast enough moving servo, you could rig it to react to the camera flash!

Over here in Cornland they don't have those white stripes. Blows my southern mind.

Cone_Junky
Cone_Junky HalfDork
11/4/11 11:01 a.m.

Ever went to walk across a crosswalk while some d-bag is parked in the middle of your path? Tried to make a right turn and the d-bags in the left lanes are over the line and blocking your view of oncoming traffic?

They taught us this in driver's ed and address it in the driver's test. Maybe some people need an expensive reminder how to drive properly?

MG_Bryan
MG_Bryan Reader
11/4/11 11:02 a.m.

Is it still legal to turn right on red there? I always have to pull ahead of those lines to do so safely...

RossD
RossD SuperDork
11/4/11 11:04 a.m.
Toyman01 wrote: I think I remember reading that NYC charges by the inch for the same thing.

I know a girl like that.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
11/4/11 11:33 a.m.
MG_Bryan wrote: Is it still legal to turn right on red there? I always have to pull ahead of those lines to do so safely...

Yup. The law cited in the link says that you are allowed to pull over the line if you come to a complete stop before going over it, wait for any pedestrians, and are turning right.

I could see this being unnecessarily punitive to someone who sees the light change and and braking firmly to avoid the red light puts them just past the line. But if you creep forward at the light or just fail to pay attention to where you're supposed to stop. Sorry.

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
11/4/11 11:57 a.m.

A woman that works for me recently was cited for not stopping properly at a stop sign. In Ohio you have to stop behind the sign and then creap forward if you need to for visibility. Of course nobody does this, so when someone does, the car behind usually thinks they are going to keep going and rearends the car in front.
Anyway, she came up to a sign and went slightly past it and made a complete stop. This was at 6am right near work. Roads were deserted.
I laugh every time someone tries to tell me that the police don't look at this kind of thing as a revenue producer.

cwh
cwh SuperDork
11/4/11 12:09 p.m.

Magic word is "Ohio". Left there in 1977, never regretted it. Back in the '60s, OHP had street hemis in a few patrol cars. Unhappy surprises for a few of my classmates.

PHeller
PHeller Dork
11/4/11 12:12 p.m.

As a bicycle rider in a city that hates cyclists on the roads as much as they do anywhere else, I occasionally will use the sidewalks.

Then this happens.

And I'm back to riding in the street again. Until someone opens their doors without looking.

Strizzo
Strizzo SuperDork
11/4/11 12:46 p.m.
Cone_Junky wrote: Ever went to walk across a crosswalk while some d-bag is parked in the middle of your path? Tried to make a right turn and the d-bags in the left lanes are over the line and blocking your view of oncoming traffic? They taught us this in driver's ed and address it in the driver's test. Maybe some people need an expensive reminder how to drive properly?

that's fine and all, but the purported purpose of red light cameras is to enhance safety by keeping people from running lights, edging over the white stripe (which in texas is a couple feet short of the crosswalk) is clearly just trying to milk more money out of drivers for minor infractions.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
11/4/11 7:05 p.m.

Lots of red light cameras work this way. Been around for years.

As for where and how you're required to stop, you folks should read your law books. Legal stopping is remarkably complex.

fasted58
fasted58 SuperDork
11/4/11 7:41 p.m.

you vill learn to obey ze law, von't you

porksboy
porksboy SuperDork
11/4/11 8:07 p.m.

I watched a guy walk across the hood of a Lexus that was stopped with the front tires in the cross walk. The blond driving it was hot as hell, both looking and under the collar.

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/4/11 10:30 p.m.

In VT the stop sign is not the place to stop unless it lines up with the stop line or before the crosswalk. Most signs are placed to be visible or where most convenient. In DE we teach the legal stop as 1) white line, 2) crosswalk (real or imagined if not painted but there is a sidewalk) or 3) line drawn from curb to curb across the lane of travel when no stop line or crosswalk/sidewalk. When you stop at the earlier position you can pull ahead for a "safety stop" so long as crosswalk is empty.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/5/11 12:30 a.m.
Toyman01 wrote: I think I remember reading that NYC charges by the inch for the same thing.

In NYC the white line triggers the first picture, but you don't get a ticket unless you enter the intersection and trigger the second picture.

DrBoost
DrBoost SuperDork
11/5/11 6:18 a.m.

The real reason for cops today is to bring in more "tax" dollars. They don't come when called, don't investigate issues but will write a mean ticket! Or in this case, they don't even have to. Why do we need cops anymore? Just keep putting cameras up on every telephone pole or light pole and send tix in the mail.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 Dork
11/5/11 7:28 a.m.

If more people used what they learned in Drivers' Ed and were competent, courteous drivers, we wouldn't need a bunch of new rules and regs.

DrBoost
DrBoost SuperDork
11/5/11 7:47 a.m.

I agree that we should all be better, safer, and more courteous, but to give a fin because your front tire is one inch on the white line? That just screams of a cheap ploy to raise revenue, again, that's what cops are for.
I'm going to go buy a 60's Caddy with the longest freaking hood I can find. Then I'll install a backup camera in the from pointing at a front tire. Then at EVERY red light I'll stop with my tire .1" from the white line. That way if I get a ticked (I'm sure I will) I can fight it and win every time.
Oh, and I'll be blocking the crosswalk on BOTH sides of the intersection with a 60's caddy

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
11/5/11 8:08 a.m.

Call me a dick, but I agree with it. In NYC you can't enter the box unless you can make it to the other side. Haviing driven in Atlanta where intersections are blocked while you have the green and you cannot make progress unless you run the red; I agree.

Drive by the frikkin' RULES!

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/6/11 11:16 a.m.
DoctorBlade wrote: Tickets for going over the white line at a red light? I mean, this beats Detroit's bus driver problem to bits.

Worst idea? Best idea ever!

Cross the white line, you're in the intersection. Therefore, you ran the red light.

Extra special points awarded for people who do this in the left lane, preventing anybody from making a right turn on red.

No points awarded for people who do this at an automated light. Having to sit for 10 minutes for the light to cycle is their own punishment.

(Ever notice that the people who stop 5 feet in the intersection are frequently the same ones who stare at the green light for five seconds before moving?)

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/6/11 4:10 p.m.

sorry... I agree with the fines. While I HAVE stopped over the line in an attempt to stop before the light turns red (some have VERY fast yellows around here) it is rare for me.. but not so much for other people.

And yes.. I like the people that creep out as the light starts to change.. but then fail to get off the line in a timely manner.. like the two feet you just crept up is going to make ANY sort of difference

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
b6mPnhw3p42dfPI4cki3Wm8gghe44Fy1xXVNovZrINQceU2vVKJa9z77upzDf2vT