1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8
Ross413
Ross413 Reader
3/25/16 9:53 p.m.
Awesome, I'll be driving a black 4th gen Camaro.

Nice. I'll be in a gray Crown Vic.

See you there.

Thanks Ross

sesto elemento
sesto elemento Dork
3/25/16 10:55 p.m.

What about a little budget stretch to get a h&k vp9, mine is awesome. It's got adjustable grips so you can customize it to fit, it shoots really nice, great trigger for an auto, it's got nice safety features (trigger safety, ambi mag/slide release, chambered round indicator). Poly frame makes it light, glow in the dark sights make it shootable at night. It's so nicely built, it just feels quality and looks georgeous to me.

WOW Really Paul?
WOW Really Paul? MegaDork
3/26/16 10:33 a.m.
Ross413 wrote:
Awesome, I'll be driving a black 4th gen Camaro.
Nice. I'll be in a gray Crown Vic. See you there. Thanks Ross

Just beware, if it's a Camaro driver it's a 50-50 shot that he's actually a serial killer.....

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UltraDork
3/26/16 11:01 a.m.

A grey crown vic meeting a 4th gen camaro in a parking lot just looks like an undercover buy......or paying a snitch. Either way, donuts and shiney leather jackets will be involved.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
3/26/16 12:39 p.m.

Back in 1992 I was working on a project in Aiken, SC. The local Roses store was closing out all firearms and they had SKS's for 79.95 ea.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/26/16 5:34 p.m.

I'm coming into this late, and I admit I didn't read all the replies.

I tend to choose them based on purpose. Any of them will assist you in home protection. Don't worry about "knock down power" or any other propaganda. Any gun will hurl lead 30 feet at an intruder. I might not suggest a .22, but it will still do the trick.

The more important part is how the gun fits you (chassis and grip) and how well it is concealed on your body if you intend to carry. I'm fat(ter than I should be) so I can conceal a larger chassis than an olympic gymnast. But I also have trouble finding a small enough concealable that has a big enough grip for my large hands.

Once you have handled and shot the one you like, find it in an appropriate caliber, but I will suggest not being a slave to that exact bore. I had been looking for a 9mm and ended up with a .40. The 9mm might be a little more accurate for a couple more yards than the .40, but right gun, right price, right time. Mine is a Glock (well, I have a few, but they're more collectibles and not really used much). The Glock fits my hands very well. I was also not a huge fan of Glocks until I owned one. My only complaint is my own fault. As I go through a clip, the lower portion of the gun (being composite) gets lighter faster than a traditionally-built handgun. Therefore my accuracy dropped off after each shot more than (for instance) my Beretta. But that is just my problem and I was able to fix it with more practice.

So my suggestion is to find the one that is right for you; chassis, grip, weight, size, comfort. Then pick the caliber that is best for you... but don't pass up one that is ballistically similar just because it isn't exactly the bore you picked.

I also personally choose calibers that are ubiquitous. Some guys are really proud of their obscure 5mm Mag, but they haven't been able to shoot them for 15 years because no one made ammo. Calibers like .45, .40, 9mm, .38, .357 and .22 will be common and available... and cheap.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/26/16 5:42 p.m.

I have a Sig p250 subcompact that can use various calibers depending on the kit installed. I really really like it especially for concealed carry. Which I haven't done since I've moved to California.

I also have a p226 .45ACP, that I love.

When I used to go to Afghanistan I had carried p226's and p220's. I really loved the p220 and have been looking to get one for the past 2yrs. But finding this deal on my p226 has calmed my p220 wants.

I have a HK usp40 in VA that I left with my uncle. I loved that gun too but it's been years.

I really don't like how xd's feel in my hand and I don't like how the s&w shields shoot. But, I know plenty who swear by both.

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/28/16 8:45 p.m.

Well I had a good chat with Ross at the auto x on Saturday (made sure to clear all of the dead hookers out of the trunk beforehand ). Fun time, and his 5 speed swapped P71 is sick! Then yesterday I was chatting with my dad a bit and got to take another look at his Sig 226. Feels nice as hell, but definitely out of my budget. Turns out dad bought a Glock 30 last weekend as well, which is surprisingly compact for a .45.

Today I got my concealed carry permit and took a trip to Trop Gun shop. Handled a bunch of pistols and rented 5 of them on their range. I shot a Glock 19, a compact CZ 2075 Rami, a Springfield XDM, a S&W M&P Shield, and a regular M&P, all in 9mm. Some thoughts:

-I thought the Glock shot the best hands down, but didn't feel the best in my hand, kinda blocky and maybe a touch to skinny. This is consistent with my previous impressions of the brand.

-The CZ had a nice, high quality feel, which I think is mostly attributable to the all-metal construction. Felt decent in the hand, but I thought the ergonomics were a tad goofy.

-The XDM and the two M&Ps felt the best to hold, but I didnt shoot the compacts as well as the CZ or especially the Glock. The bigger M&P I think I did 2nd best to the Glock with, but didn't like the trigger, long and kinda mushy.

-I think a 4" barrel is a minimum, the smaller guns I was much less accurate with. The Glock was actually a very good size, I thought.

-The Beretta M9, Ruger SR9, and FNH FNS also felt good to handle (the Beretta in particular, again I think it was the no plastic thing), but the FNH doesn't meet the 4" barrel rule.

I left without buying anything, as I don't think anything has really spoken to me yet. I think I'm gravitating towards the Glock 19 at the moment. In spite of it not feeling the best to hold, i really like shooting it, like the sights, and seems like it would be comfortable to carry, where the slimmer feeling grip plays to its advantage.

But I'm still not ready to buy. I want to get my hands on a Sig SP2022, which they unfortunately didn't seem to have available to rent. Don't think they have a Beretta M9 either, which sucks because that would be an interesting comparison to the rest, I would think. My dad wants to go shoot his new gun, so we'll probably go back in a couple weeks. That will give me a chance to try a .45 and a Sig, and i might rent a Ruger as well. Maybe something will even end up following me home.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
3/28/16 10:13 p.m.

For carry, I just picked up a Ruger LCR in .38 spc +P. It is a small, 18oz 5 shot internal hammer revolver. Simple, light with a nice even 3lb double acton. Possibly the most widely available round in history means ammo anytime, anywhere in lots of flavors too.

I am surprised at how well it shoots. Give it a Google. They are very reasonable in lightly used condition. It won't win you any cred with the tactical bayonnete attachment laser sighted auto pistol crowd but it fits in any pocket and makes big holes in meat if necessary.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
3/29/16 8:05 a.m.

In reply to Huckleberry:

Nice. I have been ogling the LCR in .357 mag. Dual ammo win. Also full size Ruger revolver in .357 mag. I may finally crack and pay NY $120 for a hand gun permit.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
3/29/16 8:15 a.m.
Brian wrote: In reply to Huckleberry: Nice. I have been ogling the LCR in .357 mag. Dual ammo win. Also full size Ruger revolver in .357 mag. I may finally crack and pay NY $120 for a hand gun permit.

If I was buying new I'd have gone with the .357 so I could have the dual round capability but I snagged this one off the used shelf for a hair more than half the new price.

BUT, think that through because the .357 is quite a bit more money than the .38. Having put a whole box of .38 +P through it - a .357M on this frame would be downright painful. The gun is comfortable to hold and shoot but somewhere around round 30 my thumb web began to liquefy. For practice I'll be buying el cheapo standard load 110g FMJs and keeping exactly 5 HP 158g +Ps for bidness.

WOW Really Paul?
3/29/16 10:34 a.m.

In reply to Furious_E:

Might want to try out an FNP9 or 40, very well built firearms. Personally, my next range pistol/OWB EDC will be an FN FiveSeven......because well, everyone likes a tack driving pistol with 20rds+ capacity in its magazine.

One word of advice however, always reference a semi auto's ammo storage as a magazine, not a clip. I can't tell you how annoying the Ebonics/movie term gets.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
3/29/16 10:37 a.m.

Just for shiggles, what's the thoughts on the .357 SIG?

WOW Really Paul?
3/29/16 11:44 a.m.
spitfirebill wrote: Just for shiggles, what's the thoughts on the .357 SIG?

More accurate than a 9mm but snaps your wrists more than a 40sw.....I carried a Glock 33 .357 for a few years. That subcompact was just as accurate as my full size 17.

It also packs one hell of a punch to it, as it is pretty much a 9mm magnum since it compares closely to the 357mag in terms of ballistics. Ammo for them, while sometimes sparse, has come down in price significantly since I owned mine. Still more expensive to shoot than 9mm & 40sw, but it's a lot cheaper than its days when it cost the same as 10mm.

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/29/16 12:09 p.m.

^ Nailed it.

It's a great round, but I'm old so I tend to stick to more "classic" rounds. My one deviation was Ruger sp101 in H&R mag and I think I can count on one hand how many times I was able to find a box of mag shells for it. Kind of like the .327 federal magnum. All are great rounds, but I tend to stick to something more "common". You get to shoot them more for less

Furious: Your Glock experience is a lot like mine. I can shoot them well, they're as reliable as a wood stove, they're the right price.... buuuuuut, I've never "pulled the trigger" when it comes to putting my money where my mouth is. (pun intended)

If you're looking at concealing a G19 and like metal, have you considered a 1911? Also, have you tried a Sig P220? a bit out of your price range, but ohmygoodgoshalmighty.

What about something chambered in .380? Its a great round if you can find a frame that you like. Basically a 9mmx18mm (where as the "9mm luger/parabellum" is 9x19mm)

WOW Really Paul?
3/29/16 12:55 p.m.

In reply to Hungary Bill:

I personally EDC either a Glock 42 or Sig p230. Rare occurrences the 1903/8 colt comes out. I love all the new ammunition choices for the .380 stuff, it really has brought life back into the caliber. Now if only the came could happen for .30 carbine. There are so many options that could be done with it.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UltraDork
3/29/16 2:10 p.m.

If it matters to you, the old .357 revolver round and both the 9mm and.40 all have rifles available to complement your handgun and share ammo. I have both the Kel-Tec sub 2000 in 9mm and the a stainless bolt action Ruger in .357 and I enjoy both more than any other rifles. Honestly it I had bought the 9mm first I would have a Glock 19 instead of my S&W purely because the magazines swap.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
3/29/16 2:32 p.m.
Hungary Bill wrote: ^ My one deviation was Ruger sp101 in H&R mag and I think I can count on one hand how many times I was able to find a box of mag shells for it. Kind of like the .327 federal magnum.

Brings back a memory. I was in pawn shop once looking for a paint gun when I was getting ready to paint the 64 Spitfire. On the way pout, I noticed they had a Ruger Bisley in 32 H&R for a little over $200. It was in the box and looked new. Like a fool, I weighed the "needs vs wants" (one of my wife's famous quotes) and walked out without it. I smartened up a few days later and went back. It was gone

WOW Really Paul?
3/29/16 4:17 p.m.

In reply to oldopelguy:

I have that with 45 colt(lever & vaquero) and 30 carbine(although the pistol is just a pistol variant of the carbine)

Soon I will add 5.7x28 to this as I am strongly considering getting a FNH PS90 to exterminate coyotes.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
3/29/16 4:35 p.m.
WOW Really Paul? wrote: In reply to oldopelguy: I have that with 45 colt(lever & vaquero) and 30 carbine(although the pistol is just a pistol variant of the carbine) Soon I will add 5.7x28 to this as I am strongly considering getting a FNH PS90 to exterminate coyotes.

Do you actively go after them, or as they appear? Because if it's the former, let me know when.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
3/29/16 4:37 p.m.
WOW Really Paul? wrote: Soon I will add 5.7x28 to this as I am strongly considering getting a FNH PS90 to exterminate coyotes.

That seems like a reasonable excuse to buy one of those

I use a 50 year old Remington 700 BDL in .270 for that. Maybe I need to upgrade!

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/29/16 5:24 p.m.

I'm surprised no one's asked yet. Have you watched any Hickok45 videos on youtube?

He's long winded, but he'll give you a good review of almost any firearm in question. He's also GREAT at demonstrating the driver vs car relationship (often taking small "inaccurate" pistols out to 90 yards).

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
3/29/16 5:53 p.m.

Decades ago, I used to target shoot at a range in Pasadena, PRC. The range is closed to public today, PoPo only now. Then, anyone could shoot. There would be this guy there. Kinda old, kinda goofy, with a box of handguns. At the 100 yard range, the "backstop" was a mountain, the edge of that valley on the north side of Pasadena. There was a rock, maybe 8-10" across there on the side of the mountain, say, 110 yards out. This guy, named Charley, said they called that rock "Charley's Rock." I saw him nail that thing with everything from a snub nose 38 spl up. How can you hit a 8" target at 100 yards with a snub nose 38? I still don't know, but I saw him do it.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
3/29/16 5:56 p.m.

In reply to Dr. Hess:

Mirrors?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/29/16 10:21 p.m.

You want goofy, and expensive? Try a DE shooting .440 Cor-Bon. .50 AE necked down to .44. It hustles for what it is.

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hxz1N5MeGpEnsyk9iqS1aDRXN5X0KArUt23CdmVzYMeOLFCj0LyAtFjPAFc0APKv