1 ... 4 5 6 7 8
WOW Really Paul?
WOW Really Paul? MegaDork
3/30/16 10:50 a.m.
Bobzilla wrote:
WOW Really Paul? wrote: In reply to oldopelguy: I have that with 45 colt(lever & vaquero) and 30 carbine(although the pistol is just a pistol variant of the carbine) Soon I will add 5.7x28 to this as I am strongly considering getting a FNH PS90 to exterminate coyotes.
Do you actively go after them, or as they appear? Because if it's the former, let me know when.

Both somewhat, they typically die when they appear though.

In reply to Huckleberry:

Yea, I'm leaning towards the PS90 as a slightly more accurate & effective at short-intermediate range than my 45yo m1 carbine. I feel guilty each time I trudge through the woods with my m1, it's too nice to scratch up. Plus the PS would be epic fun for target shooting. Who doesn't like a factory 50rd magazine option and neatly piled spent brass?

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/6/16 9:51 p.m.
WOW Really Paul? wrote: Actually the XD has a specific design flaw that can allow it to AD even with the supposed blackstrap safety.....I will never recommend one to anyone. A Glock is safer. At least they only go bang if the trigger is pulled.

I'd heard about a recall on the XD a few years ago, but not this. Do you have more information? I happen to own an XDS.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo UltimaDork
4/7/16 3:04 a.m.
WOW Really Paul? wrote: Yea, I'm leaning towards the PS90 as a slightly more accurate & effective at short-intermediate range than my 45yo m1 carbine. I feel guilty each time I trudge through the woods with my m1, it's too nice to scratch up. Plus the PS would be epic fun for target shooting. Who doesn't like a factory 50rd magazine option and neatly piled spent brass?

The ammo cost would bother me, pretty pricey (and hard to come by) for something with ballistics a little better than .22 magnum.

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/14/17 4:37 p.m.

Finally, after months of dicking around, I can bring some closure to this thread. Bought a Glock 26 today.

The 26 is their subcompact 9mm, with a double stack 10 round magazine. I spent a lot of time researching a bevy of different options and handled as many as I could, yet I kept coming back to the Glocks, either the 19 or 26. I like the ease of use, ease of maintenance, reliability, and most importantly, I just seem to consistently shoot them the best.

Despite not having shot one yet, I went with the 26 over the 19 for ease of concealment. Not a gigantic size difference, with most of it being in the grip, but I think it's enough to make a big difference for a relatively trim guy like myself. It's a two finger grip, but still feels good in the hand, much better for my big mitts than some of the single stack pocket pistols. Plus, the 15 and 17 (or even 30) round mags from its bigger brothers drop right in, thereby extending the grip. Hoping to shoot it some tomorrow.

Anyone have a suggestion for a good inside the waistband holster? How about ammo, what does everyone favor for cheap shooting/defense?

java230
java230 Dork
1/14/17 5:40 p.m.

In reply to Furious_E:

Very nice! I use whitebox or blazer brass for plinking and Speer gold dots for edc defense ammo.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
1/14/17 7:06 p.m.

I think that's a good choice. I kinda am leaning towards the SIG P290, which is about the same size.

This book: 100 deadly skills

shows how to make a very good "holster" out of a coat hanger. Even "tuckable."

WOW Really Paul?
8/17/17 11:34 p.m.

In reply to Furious_E:

Very nice, you will enjoy the subcompact Glock. I personally use Sig 147gr protection ammo in my 9mm's.

Brett_Murphy wrote: I'd heard about a recall on the XD a few years ago, but not this. Do you have more information? I happen to own an XDS.

Talk about getting back to someone really really late, the original XD's had a pin that would stick out the back of the slide when a round was chambered. IF you got really unlucky, it could discharge if dropped and it landed directly on that pin. I have no idea on the recall, but I parted ways with it and got a Glock 33.

On to why I searched for this specific thread, I just wanted to share a glowing recommendation for CZ. I haven't tried their p10 yet, but I bought a p09 on a whim for range duty since my 1911 broke again(fml). Holy E36 M3 is this thing good. I'm already EDC'ing a full size nearly all the time and am considering trading my Shield 9mm in towards a p07. I'm also now glockless for the first time in over a decade.

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/18/17 3:55 p.m.

In reply to WOW Really Paul?:

7 months on and I still love it, suits my needs and I shoot it well (just not often enough .)

Bought a 12 gauge as well last Friday, Winchester SXP with a 28" barrel. Stopped in at Gander Mountain during the last couple days of their closeout sale just to see if they had anything worthwhile left. Price was too good to pass up and I've been wanting a shotgun anyways, so I figured what the hell. Think I might drag them both over to my parents place this weekend and poke some holes in paper.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla MegaDork
8/18/17 4:14 p.m.

My 1911 is broken too... well, one of my 1911's. I need to get to the hardware store and pick up a 1/16" roll pin for the front sight. It apparently decided it no longer wanted to be there.

WOW Really Paul?
8/18/17 6:29 p.m.

In reply to Bobzilla:

I broke yet another extractor..... berkeley Colt for altering JMB's design.

In other news, I somewhat expect a visit from the BATFE due to the many many good deals I have found this year.

Most notable thus far were finding a CMP collector grade ww2 Remington 1903a3 & average m1896 Krag carbine hiding on the consignment rack of a local shop.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla MegaDork
8/18/17 7:02 p.m.

Ooohhhh... I want a 1903a3

WOW Really Paul?
8/18/17 7:07 p.m.

In reply to Bobzilla:

I'll have to send you a picture tomorrow.....it's a 1943 "war emergency" production. Pairs nicely with my 1942 BYF Mauser.

stroker
stroker UltraDork
8/18/17 8:39 p.m.

FB sez CMP may have 1911's soon. If anyone sees it, scream.

WOW Really Paul?
8/18/17 9:20 p.m.

In reply to stroker:

Yep, just like FB sez they're going to get more Garands from somewhere......while they have been directed by law to do so, I'll believe it when CMP gets them and releases them into the wild.

Unfortunately the CMP getting stuff will die out before too much longer, IIRC there is a nasty part hidden in the '68 GCA that states the government cannot release surplus firearms to the public that started out as select fire weapons.

If true, that means no surplus m14's(granted most are either gone now or still in use), and no m16 based stuff. The m9 berettas probably will be eventually however.

I'm torn as to my next purchase however, I'm thinking about getting a semi auto replica of a m14. An outfit called James River makes accurate replicas under the Rock-ola trademark. Just can't decide if I want one of those first or either a CZ 805 BREN or FNH SCAR 16s.

Hokie69
Hokie69 New Reader
8/19/17 10:58 a.m.

in the market for an inexpensive 1911, 45acp. looking at Metro, Rock Island ; etc. Any experience w/ any of them ? Metro may have forged components, while RIA is cast. Or save a few more $ and get a Remington or Springfield ?

Thanks

WOW Really Paul?
8/19/17 11:27 a.m.

In reply to Hokie69:

Rock GI pistols are quite nice for the money TBH. I claim ignorance on the Metro however, as I've never heard of them.

And I went mental and bought another G3(probably a 20+ year old Cetme) for a stupid deal. The immaculate wood furniture was nearly worth the price.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
8/19/17 11:29 a.m.
Hokie69 wrote: in the market for an inexpensive 1911, 45acp. looking at Metro, Rock Island ; etc. Any experience w/ any of them ? Metro may have forged components, while RIA is cast. Or save a few more $ and get a Remington or Springfield ? Thanks

I have a Rock Island GI full frame, parkerized finish, no-frills. Just a little sight paint and some Pachymayer grips to make it fit my mutant huge hands a little better. Picked it up in July.

I got it for under 5 bills with two mags and it's a decent, well made pistol. It's got the classic 1911 5" barrel, balance and the machining is clean. It's not sloppy at all. I put a bunch of old, mixed grain ammo thru it... maybe 300 rounds so far. No ejection fails or jams. Nice trigger action. IMO, You can spend a lot more and not necessarily get a better pistol.

secretariata
secretariata GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/19/17 11:39 a.m.

In reply to Hokie69:

In my opinion, Rock Island makes very good 1911's. At any price, but the low price is a definite plus. I had a full size GI model for a few years and got a case of the dumbs so I traded it for a double stack Springfield 1911 deviant. Regretted that trade. I just bought a Rock Island version of a CCO (4" ish barrel on officer frame) but with a steel frame (instead of alloy). Haven't had a chance to take it to the range, but it looks nice, everything fits together well, and feels solid.

I have no experience with Metro to compare.

Hokie69
Hokie69 New Reader
8/20/17 8:13 a.m.

Thanks for the responses. As much as I'd like to buy American, the RIA 1911 looks like the best choice for me. Now to choose the model.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla MegaDork
8/20/17 5:43 p.m.

Personal opinion save for the Springer. I've E36 M3 some RI and they don't shoot nearly as well as my loaded. $700 for a new one is hard to beat with the features.

Hokie69
Hokie69 New Reader
8/21/17 10:35 a.m.

For that upgrade, I'll also consider a SR1911.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla MegaDork
8/21/17 10:42 a.m.

and this thread hasbeen devoid of pics too long.

Springfield loaded I bought in 2012. Ambi safety, trijicons, adj trigger etc. Bottom one is an ATI compact. It's had work done (trigger job, night sights, grips etc). They both shoot great, but the Springer is just 100x the gun. It's tighter, shoots better, the stock trigger is better, the parkerizing is nicer etc. You can see why the springer costs more... it's just a better gun.

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
8/22/17 8:53 a.m.

Am I the only weirdo who prefers a glock 21 over a 1911?

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
8/22/17 9:18 a.m.
poopshovel again wrote: Am I the only weirdo who prefers a glock 21 over a 1911?

Yes. But, I don't love 1911s either though. They shoot well but are heavy and bulky so mine is a range-only type thing.

I love the H&K USP .40 S&W for "all the things".

Bobzilla
Bobzilla MegaDork
8/22/17 9:36 a.m.
poopshovel again wrote: Am I the only weirdo who prefers a glock 21 over a 1911?

I believe "Shut your pie hole" is needed here.

Huckleberry wrote:
Yes. But, I don't love 1911s either though. They shoot well but are heavy and bulky so mine is a range-only type thing. I love the H&K USP .40 S&W for "all the things".

Same for you.

I have shot Gl*cks, but they don't work for me. Sigs are another story.... I'd take a 226 or 227 in a heartbeat. But I'm not a snob.... shoot what you like. HEll, I still like wheel guns. Give me a SAA on .45LC and I'll be happy.

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hvpmGOpfOYg3VEWriqPF87YJyWRwYFkrCuvHKUMTSJ4n2x3oQaJxtO5GjneUJSBo