etifosi
etifosi SuperDork
2/23/17 2:00 p.m.

Mastermind of the Renault-Nissan Alliance (now featuring Mitsubishi!) and uncanny Mr. Bean lookalike - Carlos Ghosn - has stepped down.

Will non-hideously styled cars that are fun to drive become a possibility for Nissan now?

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
2/23/17 2:09 p.m.

Will they finally make a replacement for the seriously aging 370Z platform?

scardeal
scardeal SuperDork
2/23/17 2:45 p.m.

Hopefully his replacement won't be a Boston Strangler of sport like he is.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
2/23/17 3:07 p.m.

Oh, how I miss the Nissan of The '90's

Maxima: 4 door sports car until '94 and still continued to be a good car.
300z: Z32 with Ken and Barbie commercial
240sx: S13 & S14
Altima: So so but not bad. Different from Maxima
Sentra: B13 SE-R days
Truck: Harbody
SUV: Harbody based Pathfinder

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UberDork
2/23/17 3:23 p.m.

Ahh... the guy that turned Nissan into a malaise of subprime loan fodder doucheboats... GOOD RIDDANCE.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/23/17 3:45 p.m.

but, why are all the cvt's gone?

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
2/23/17 3:57 p.m.

I like the look of the current maxima. Call me strange

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
2/23/17 4:06 p.m.
mndsm wrote: I like the look of the current maxima. Call me strange

It's actually not a bad looking car. However it seems like every Altima is a some form a douche canoe. I'm really starting to hate Altima drivers.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
2/23/17 4:08 p.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote:
It's actually not a bad looking car. However it seems like every Altima is a some form a douche canoe. I'm really starting to hate Altima drivers.

And you haven't even driven i4 recently.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UberDork
2/23/17 4:19 p.m.

In reply to SyntheticBlinkerFluid:

Agreed on both things. Maxima looks decent right now, and every time I see an Altima in traffic, it's usually weaving between lanes and piloted by a pile of human trash.

The Maxima needs a DSG, M/T, and an AWD option to make it stand further apart from the Altima. 4DSC it's most certainly not!

NickD
NickD SuperDork
2/23/17 5:17 p.m.

In reply to SilverFleet:

The 7th-gen Maxima was such a near-miss design. Great styling? Check. Snortin' V6 with throaty soundtrack? Check. Decent-handling fun chassis? Check. If only it had a real transmission.

QuasiMofo
QuasiMofo GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/23/17 5:33 p.m.

GTR needs a serious revamp AWD Porsche fighter priced at $125-150k produce 500-2000 worldwide. Halo car.

Z car needs a retro style long nose short tail formula with a turbo I-6 and a $75k price tag. Lighter but with similar power to weight as Corvette. 20-40k units worldwide.

Fairlady is reborn with a small very sporty e-assist 1.4L high revving Miata fighter. $25k enttry price 30-60k units

New Maxima uses I6 from Z car as well as chassis. Seats four and treats them well. Base price from 39k to top out $80k for Nismo M fighter edition.

Altima downsizes a bit to compete with CiViC priced from $21k and sell both a dual mode hybrid and a plug in and sell all of them that you can

Little truck, Big truck Nissan should have this formula down.

Commercial vans in two sizes one a truck platform and the other from the Altima platform.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/23/17 8:57 p.m.

In reply to QuasiMofo:

I'd hire you with that plan.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
2/23/17 9:01 p.m.

In reply to QuasiMofo:

Not seeing your 510 plan.

The0retical
The0retical Dork
2/23/17 9:39 p.m.

In reply to QuasiMofo:

Mitsubishi produces a new world market FTO. Suddenly relevant again.

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
2/23/17 10:36 p.m.

Strange. The both of ya.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/24/17 10:54 a.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote: Oh, how I miss the Nissan of The '90's Maxima: 4 door sports car until '94 and still continued to be a good car. 300z: Z32 with Ken and Barbie commercial 240sx: S13 & S14 Altima: So so but not bad. Different from Maxima Sentra: B13 SE-R days Truck: Harbody SUV: Harbody based Pathfinder

And back then my family had a '91 240SX, '92 SE-R and a '91 (or so) Maxima SE.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/24/17 12:16 p.m.

Let us not forget whose girlfriend was responsible for the existence of this automotive travesty:

QuasiMofo
QuasiMofo GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/24/17 12:27 p.m.
Datsun310Guy wrote: In reply to QuasiMofo: Not seeing your 510 plan.

CRAP! That's how I was going to make the Fairlady feasible!

510: same drivetrain and underpinnings as Fairlady but on two longer wheelbases. A coupe with a sporting edge on the intermediate wheelbase as well as a sedan and a shooting brake on the longest wheelbase. The option of up to a 2.0l diesel or a gas electric hybrid and starting price about 14,900 for the base manual gas coupe

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/24/17 12:35 p.m.

AFAICT, the only people who buy Altimas are rental car fleets.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/24/17 12:41 p.m.

Even the Altima had an SE-R version. Great looking wheels, cool performance gauges on the dash, great seats, 6-speed, 260hp, upgraded brakes, suspension and exhaust. That was a rocket in 2002.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qnr4tQBi119SI5pplsJlVPJqbO2FzupS8HtCTVDsTNdsT4v9TG1xEoyhq2cLXBMr