1 2
Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/9/19 12:34 p.m.

I admit I rarely follow news so I just learned last night there's a new football league starting up and it's opening game is on CBS today.

Anyone else gonna give it a shot?

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk PowerDork
2/9/19 3:29 p.m.

Hadn't heard of it, and it conflicts with hockey ( a real sport) but it does look interesting with some of the different rules. I'll probably channel surf during the hockey intermissions to see what it's like.

rustybugkiller
rustybugkiller HalfDork
2/9/19 5:54 p.m.

Haven’t heard of this. Where are the players coming from?

Antihero
2/9/19 6:00 p.m.
rustybugkiller said:

Haven’t heard of this. Where are the players coming from?

Theres a few old nfl players like Trent Richardson apparently but it looks like theres very few old NFL players, which i find suprising. The rest come from colleges i guess

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
2/9/19 6:31 p.m.

Nothing much else on so I'll watch it.    should be entertainig

kazoospec
kazoospec UltraDork
2/9/19 7:24 p.m.

Coaching lineup is actually fairly impressive.  

Antihero
2/9/19 7:42 p.m.
kazoospec said:

Coaching lineup is actually fairly impressive.  

Agreed, kinda funny they have loads of big names in the front office.....and nothing on the field. I know they aren't making much but I would assume theres more that a tiny handful of guys trying to get back in the nfl

Antihero
2/9/19 7:49 p.m.

Wow, huge hit on the QB there, probably would have been flagged in the NFL for that

Antihero
2/9/19 7:53 p.m.

Sky judge is a good idea, I wonder how likely it is that the NFL is watching some of these ideas and how well they work

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk PowerDork
2/9/19 8:23 p.m.

In reply to Antihero :

Well, since the NFL Network is going to broadcast 19 games I'll bet they're watching.  If the league is successful it could become the farm system for the NFL, like the AHL is to the NHL.

Antihero
2/9/19 8:29 p.m.
DeadSkunk said:

In reply to Antihero :

Well, since the NFL Network is going to broadcast 19 games I'll bet they're watching.  If the league is successful it could become the farm system for the NFL, like the AHL is to the NHL.

It's not a bad idea, there's a place for an NFL minor league

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/9/19 8:35 p.m.

NFL minor league is exactly what the AAF is.  Looks pretty good actually. Lots of overlooked young talent peppered with guys who were cut a tad early looking to get back in. The coaching talent pool is deep. 

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk PowerDork
2/9/19 8:42 p.m.

In reply to Antihero :

They're targeting players who failed to get NFL or CFL jobs. There are education stipends for players who left college before their final year to try the NFL and ended up with no job and no degree, so a guy could finish his education while possibly honing his skills. There are thousands of college players who stopped playing the day they left school. If they can be viable financially I can see the league expanding to a lot of cities that don't have other pro teams. Football fanatics will have something to do every winter.

Antihero
2/9/19 9:00 p.m.
DeadSkunk said:

In reply to Antihero :

They're targeting players who failed to get NFL or CFL jobs. There are education stipends for players who left college before their final year to try the NFL and ended up with no job and no degree, so a guy could finish his education while possibly honing his skills. There are thousands of college players who stopped playing the day they left school. If they can be viable financially I can see the league expanding to a lot of cities that don't have other pro teams. Football fanatics will have something to do every winter.

Exactly, and unlike the XFL it's connected to the NFL which will help them IMO.

The guys seem to be playing hard, it's more fun to watch than the Superbowl too

Antihero
2/9/19 10:13 p.m.

I enjoyed that, I'd watch more

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
2/9/19 11:01 p.m.
Antihero said

...it's more fun to watch than the Superbowl too

That is hardly high praise.

Antihero
2/10/19 1:34 a.m.
aircooled said:
Antihero said

...it's more fun to watch than the Superbowl too

That is hardly high praise.

You are not wrong, but you get my point hopefully.

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
2/10/19 1:59 p.m.

I enjoyed it lots of action

Antihero
2/10/19 2:08 p.m.

Seems like the first games were the only ones to be on CBS, which is slightly annoying. Looks like maybe i can stream todays games on their website though

Antihero
2/10/19 3:31 p.m.

Or they will announce on Twitter that they wont be streaming any CBS games 3 min before the game starts.

I understand revenue needed and such....but kind of a stupid move for a new league there

Antihero
2/10/19 3:59 p.m.

Reddit has some options on streaming though

Antihero
2/17/19 4:17 p.m.

Week 2 and the teams seem far more together, there's actually a running game now.

I will say though, I'm suprised by how many injuries there are, the trainers are out a lot. Conditioning maybe?

Antihero
2/17/19 4:24 p.m.

And then as soon as I said that someone looks like they got really hurt, damn

stroker
stroker UltraDork
2/17/19 6:14 p.m.

Watched this afternoon's game.   Reminded me of Arena football.  Better than nothing but still Lite Beer...

Antihero
2/18/19 8:24 p.m.
stroker said:

Watched this afternoon's game.   Reminded me of Arena football.  Better than nothing but still Lite Beer...

Really? How?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DknVIojVaNJ9lnFXNUaJATlwOJ6JrbwVjQTXyIXJMvlBc5g864UioiGunL5iZtnZ