1 2
kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
7/4/20 6:48 p.m.

Image may contain: outdoor

For the record, this is totally tongue in cheek, and was also my solution for "murder hornets". 

mad_machine (Forum Supporter)
mad_machine (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/4/20 7:56 p.m.

we have a pair of redtails that keep trying for our 9 pound dogs.  They like to sit at the top of my neighbors really tall cedar and wait for them to come out. I recently purchased 200 superballs and a slingshot. I do not want to hurt the bird and I certainly do not want to kill it,  but I have hit the tree near them enough times that the moment they see me come out, they take flight and leave.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/4/20 8:21 p.m.
spitfirebill said:

In reply to Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) :

Bad idea. 

Normally, yes. But if a wild animal is repeatedly acting in a threatening manner to me and my family in our own yard, well...

But I would certainly call animal control before doing anything else.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/4/20 11:25 p.m.

In most states, even touching a bird of prey is a misdemeanor.  You can't even touch one that is dead and flat on the road covered in maggots and half-eaten by vultures.

My dad was a Biology teacher for 30+ years and he had to have a special permit to collect roadkill birds of prey as an educational thing.

Peabody
Peabody UltimaDork
7/4/20 11:53 p.m.

A hawk swooped down into my yard once and tried to take one of my chickens. I don’t think it could have done it, but my wife was close by, chased after it, it dropped the chicken and took off. 

We were in northern Ontario, specifically Elliot lake, having lunch,  and saw a hawk watching a rabbit from a fence, just waiting for the right moment to swoop in and attack it. What the hawk didn’t know was that he was being watched by a cat. The hawk swooped, the cat leaped, there was a tussle in the long grass and we went over to see the cat snacking on the hawk. I wouldn’t believe it if I wasn’t there to see it.

so maybe you need a cat. Or at least my wife. 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
7/5/20 8:01 a.m.

We need video to properly appreciate this issue.wink

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Dork
7/5/20 9:36 a.m.

How about hanging a net in its glide path ,  a bright color one ,

Hawk  would probably like a clear attack path and exit plan....

just an idea......

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
l1u4xtPtgipCrawSPyNMQ4tBarItVBpnftfm3s0EAPPVo2tsISG0ZF9eex13zf3r