dankspeed
dankspeed HalfDork
9/16/18 10:42 a.m.

AC in the mazda mpv is not as great as it should be. Bought the kit to do it myself. When i connected to the low side port the gauge reads in red as tbough the system is over charged. 

Previous owner probably filled it incorrectly. 

Is it just as simple as bleeding out some of the freon out thru the High port or should i take it to a professional shop?

Ive heard over charging can so damage. Is that true?

Thanks

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
9/16/18 10:45 a.m.

Could be anything from overcharged to the compressor not pumping.  Yeah, letting the freon out through either port would lower the charge, and is not illegal for a non-professional DIY'er to do, regardless of what Teh Intr4W3bz say.  However, you are probably pretty close to "seek professional help."

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
9/16/18 10:50 a.m.

Diagnosing A/C systems can be tricky.  My MPV A/C was cooling poorly and I too suspected low refrigerant level.  I bought a can of R-134 with a gauge and found the same condition you describe.  I was suspicious that I wasn't getting the whole picture, and since I've owned the vehicle since new, I knew darn sure it wasn't overcharged.   Turned out to be a bad fan control module ( a common problem on the MPV).  No airflow through the condenser caused the compressor to cycle off when the vehicle was at idle.  New fan control module fixed the problem.

Verify that your fans come on when you switch on the A/C, and that the compressor clutch is engaging and spinning the compressor.

dankspeed
dankspeed HalfDork
9/16/18 11:08 a.m.

I can hear something kicking on when the ac is turned on. Would the fan kick on right away or after awhile?

After i removed the gauge it stayed in the red. I hooked it back up and pulled the trigger and it immediately went to zero . 

Might be good advice to take it to an expert.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
9/16/18 1:12 p.m.

In reply to dankspeed :

The fans should come on as soon as you switch on the A/C, even if you've just started the car from cold.

dankspeed
dankspeed HalfDork
9/16/18 5:28 p.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

The fans kick on and im assuming its the compressor im hearing kick on. I went ahead and added the freon and it feels like it helped. 

The only thing i can figure is the gauge is not working

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4oC8ee2zwVZ2AbkmUuIASxSsYOiF2UobRjzIQf2G2i4EMnIvuBn4VB2oOcvTqsbn