Wayslow
Wayslow HalfDork
1/17/17 9:04 p.m.

I built a run in horse shelter this summer and clad it with 10" wide rough cut pine planks. I was supposed to put a clear sealer on it before winter hit but I didn't. Now it's turning grey and looking streaky (SWMBO words). Apparently this is not an acceptable look. How do I clean it up in the spring before putting on the sealer? Am I screwed? Sanding won't work since it has a rough finish. Could I use a nylon stripper wheel? Any Ideas?

SkinnyG
SkinnyG Dork
1/17/17 9:30 p.m.

I cleaned a weather-worn deck with this stuff, and was IMPRESSED with the results.

Behir All-In-One Wood Cleaner

Sonic
Sonic SuperDork
1/18/17 6:15 a.m.

Pressure wash it, the grey will blast right off, then you can seal it.

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/18/17 6:54 a.m.

Paint it a bright color. She'll wish she didn't say anything.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
1/18/17 7:09 a.m.
Sonic wrote: Pressure wash it, the grey will blast right off, then you can seal it.

I think this would be easiest and fastest Done it with decks before, works well, just make sure you done cut into the wood too much with the stream.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UberDork
1/18/17 7:24 a.m.

Wait another 6-12 months and they will be a more uniform weathered gray and look like a run-in shed is supposed to look.

i.e. Ignore it and the problem will resolve itself.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
1/18/17 8:26 a.m.

Eat the horses and she'll focus on something other than the shed - most likely on digging a hole for your grave.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
1/18/17 9:39 a.m.

I second pressure washing, but I would also Wagner Power Painter some stain or Thompson's water seal (or equivalent).

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/18/17 12:45 p.m.

Pressure washing is brilliant for weathered wood. You could wait another 2 years and still bring it back looking new.

Pressure washing is frowned up on for decks prior to sealing mostly because of the way in can lift grain and gouge the soft pulp.

Just do yourself the favor of giving it a good solid week of hot sun before sealing it. You want it bone dry.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
1/18/17 12:48 p.m.
SkinnyG wrote: I cleaned a weather-worn deck with this stuff, and was IMPRESSED with the results. Behir All-In-One Wood Cleaner

Plus a billion; this stuff is astonishing. A wet goopy gross deck turned into dry nice looking readily sealable wood with this stuff. It's pretty aggressive though. Don't get it on your hootus.

Wayslow
Wayslow HalfDork
1/18/17 1:49 p.m.
DaveEstey wrote: Eat the horses and she'll focus on something other than the shed - most likely on digging a hole for your grave.

This is tempting but would definitely lead to my untimely demise. The rest of the suggestions are helpful though. I have a gas powered pressure washer. Unfortunately the nearest hose bib is several hundred feet away. I'll figure that part out. Thanks for everyone's help.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
1/18/17 2:31 p.m.

Pressure washer has worked well for me on weathered wood as well. One caution - since you have a gas powered unit it's probably pretty high pressure; be careful to not use full force on the wood as it can tear it up pretty badly. I just have a little electric washer, and while it can blast away the weathering it's not powerful enough to drill holes in the wood.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qlgvT7Mk1i2IfhDgbMxEZPLzwyUtErv5epfMvj4qZW9yOfc90PUdcPaYvUSwaWoM