1 2
Suprf1y
Suprf1y UltimaDork
10/16/18 4:22 p.m.

We gonna let it all hang down

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
10/16/18 4:26 p.m.

Oh great, so now there are going to be nice and lazy?

kazoospec
kazoospec UltraDork
10/16/18 4:28 p.m.

Better hope word doesn't get out in the states that the Canadian gov't buys your weed if you have a medical card.  Next thing you know, you guys will be talking about "building the wall".  

The0retical
The0retical UltraDork
10/16/18 4:30 p.m.

Has Canada determined how they're going to test for impairment if suspected of driving high? Just curious as that seems to be a big talking point here in the US.

Suprf1y
Suprf1y UltimaDork
10/16/18 4:32 p.m.

Not really, but people have been doing that for decades and they're only thinking about it now?

They look pretty stupid, IMO

The0retical
The0retical UltraDork
10/16/18 4:37 p.m.

In reply to Suprf1y :

No argument here. I just find the dichotomy between the US and Canada interesting.

Suprf1y
Suprf1y UltimaDork
10/16/18 4:46 p.m.

https://ocslearn.ca/

I predict increased tourism and a sudden shortage of Doritos

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
10/16/18 4:52 p.m.

Honest questions:

Canada has really graphic warnings on a Pack of Smokes.  Will the Weeds have similar?  

It is not illegal to add addictive chemicals to Tobacco products (things that make smokes more addictive than just plain tobacco.)  Is it illegal to add the same to Weed?   

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/16/18 4:52 p.m.

In reply to Suprf1y :

Hopefully you and ZW will be a little less grouchy?  :)

wae
wae SuperDork
10/16/18 4:59 p.m.

Good news:  Despite what they were saying previously, Customs and Border Control in the US now says that it won't ban workers in the Canadian cannabis industry from coming into the US.  There was some hilarity about to ensue when -- considering that the provincial governments are basically in charge of the pot business  -- there was the potential that a premier would be considered the head drug dealer and banned for life from entering the US.

Suprf1y
Suprf1y UltimaDork
10/16/18 5:05 p.m.
Stefan said:

In reply to Suprf1y :

We're not grumpy, we're just misunderstood

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/16/18 5:23 p.m.

I am happy for this, as now Colorado may go back to being known for its mountains and other attributes instead of "dude, I hear you can get legal weed there".

Stefan
10/16/18 5:29 p.m.
Suprf1y said:
Stefan said:

In reply to Suprf1y :

We're not grumpy, we're just misunderstood

Riiiight.

Stefan
10/16/18 5:30 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

I am happy for this, as now Colorado may go back to being known for its mountains and other attributes instead of "dude, I hear you can get legal weed there".

Hey.  Oregon and Washington have mountains too!  Oh and legal weed, but we have mountains, dammit!  :)

Keith Tanner
10/16/18 6:05 p.m.
Stefan said:
Keith Tanner said:

Hey.  Oregon and Washington have mountains too!  Oh and legal weed, but we have mountains, dammit!  :)

And I'm sure they've very nice... ;)

Have you experienced the same thing since legalization?

Stefan
10/16/18 6:21 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:
Stefan said:
Keith Tanner said:

Don't patronize me, meotter boi :)

Actually, no I don't think we've experienced that so much as people are now legally free to do what they already were doing and because of this, some choose to partake as part of their visit to the area.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/16/18 6:43 p.m.

I'll chug-a-lug and shout, 

but I'll settle for shake my tambourine.

Keith Tanner
10/16/18 6:53 p.m.
Stefan said:
Keith Tanner said:
Stefan said:
Keith Tanner said:

Don't patronize me, meotter boi :)

Actually, no I don't think we've experienced that so much as people are now legally free to do what they already were doing and because of this, some choose to partake as part of their visit to the area.

I wasn't thinking so much of how residents behave - I haven't seen any difference there myself - but how your state is viewed by outsiders. When I meet someone from out of state and they hear I live in CO, I now usually get some sort of weed joke instead of...well, anything. Questions about what it's like to live here (mountains, deserts, snow, skiing, John Denver) were replaced with questions about weed.

Maybe the guys from Seattle are just glad it's no longer jokes about rain.

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
10/16/18 8:18 p.m.
Suprf1y said:

Not really, but people have been doing that for decades and they're only thinking about it now?

Not sure about the worry being new or any of that considering in Ohio it's a DUI if your suspected of driving high. Failing or refusing to take a drug test is automatically recorded as a dui. I know a few people without licenses thanks too it.

Toebra
Toebra Dork
10/16/18 11:40 p.m.

But there is not a test to see if you are high on weed, is there, aside from subjective means?

frenchyd
frenchyd UltraDork
10/16/18 11:57 p.m.
dropstep said:
Suprf1y said:

Not sure about the worry being new or any of that considering in Ohio it's a DUI if your suspected of driving high. Failing or refusing to take a drug test is automatically recorded as a dui. I know a few people without licenses thanks too it.

Since weed shows up in employment tests for a long time after it’s smoked I suspect there are already plenty of ways to detect its use for driving.  There may not be a standardized test yet that withstands legal scrutiny rules. But likely that’s a matter for states attorneys General to agree upon. Since so many states are still convinced a joint is the same as  Cocaine and Herion it might be a while before legally impaired becomes defined. 

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/17/18 9:41 a.m.

The issue with drug testing for weed is that it stays in your system for weeks after smoking, so even if you're pulled over stone cold sober you can potentially still fail a drug test. There really isn't a good way to determine whether someone smoked 20 minutes ago or two weeks ago.

pres589
pres589 PowerDork
10/17/18 9:49 a.m.

Is the phrase "field sobriety test" not a known thing all of the sudden?   There's standardized testing that can be performed to assess imparedness.  And with a trooper's dashcam filming, it would be very hard to argue in court to the contrary.

The0retical
The0retical UltraDork
10/17/18 10:24 a.m.

In reply to pres589 :

Field sobriety tests provide probable cause to arrest (at least in the US.) The BAC level is the evidence used to determine if there is a legal means to charge with DUI or DWI rather than reckless or distracted driving. You're correct that you can't measure THC in the same way.

Which is why I posed the question.

CJ
CJ GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/17/18 10:29 a.m.
Toebra said:

But there is not a test to see if you are high on weed, is there, aside from subjective means?

It appears that the RCMP has a system -

RCMP Field Sobriety Test

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IOMrnRqskcKa2FrDE6INvBcqAz8BK1DkmoWfnTrbmIowOs3ZFL01KdPzLCkuQTSj