Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/13/15 2:59 p.m.

My HP laptop needs a new battery (HP MU06). Not surprisingly, they are $120 from HP and $11 for new aftermarket ones on eBay. Are the aftermaket batteries junk? Should I buy a new HP battery? Should I buy 10 aftermarket ones?

On my last laptop (Toshiba), I found that aftermarket power bricks had a lifespan measured in months. After buying a two of them, I finally gave up and bought a Toshiba brick, and it lasted through the life of the computer.

WWGRMD?

Grtechguy
Grtechguy UltimaDork
10/13/15 3:11 p.m.

I buy the aftermarket ones. Or you can go to batteries plus and purchase new cells to solder into your casing.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UltimaDork
10/13/15 3:20 p.m.

The one you have is probably full of Chinese cells, I don't see the trouble with going straight to the source.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/13/15 3:21 p.m.

I'd either get an original one or solder in new cells. I got a cheapo and it's caused some buggy behavior - I have to shut down and remove the battery to "reset" the charge measurement. If I don't, it'll leak charge continuously and the laptop gives a battery error.

So it seems the cheapos are missing some electronics that the originals have.

Woody
10/13/15 3:25 p.m.

Well, that didn't take long: The guys who I was hoping to get a response from have spoken. But I'm still confused and don't know what I'm going to do.

MCarp22
MCarp22 Dork
10/13/15 3:27 p.m.

Those $120 batteries probably cost $9 anyhow.

The Hoff
The Hoff UltraDork
10/13/15 3:30 p.m.

I buy the aftermarket batteries on Amazon. That way you get some pretty good reviews on performance and lifespan.

I've bought 2 from Amazon, but the kids killed the laptops well before the batteries had issues, so I can't speak for them myself.

Woody
10/13/15 3:36 p.m.
The Hoff wrote: I buy the aftermarket batteries on Amazon. That way you get some pretty good reviews on performance and lifespan.

^And we have a Winner.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
10/13/15 4:13 p.m.

I buy the aftermarket ones on Amazon or eBay. They work fine for me.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
10/13/15 4:17 p.m.

Buy the cheap aftermarket ones. I went to the trouble of rebuilding a pack for a Snap-On screwdriver. It wasn't that much fun and I enjoy soldering. Buy the cheap aftermarket ones.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/13/15 4:21 p.m.

As long as you are comfortable with the battery performance not being the same as OEM when new, go with the highest rated amazon one you can find. They aren't going to be as good as OEM but you won't pay as much either.

The0retical
The0retical Dork
10/13/15 4:37 p.m.

I also buy the Amazon aftermarket ones. Work just fine.

Rufledt
Rufledt UltraDork
10/13/15 4:41 p.m.

yep, aftermarket. My wife's non-generic laptop was built in china, we went with a generic chinese built (larger capacity) replacement battery. Works just fine.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/13/15 5:21 p.m.
Woody wrote: Well, that didn't take long: The guys who I was hoping to get a response from have spoken. But I'm still confused and don't know what I'm going to do.

FWIW I've put dozens of cheap ones from eBay into customers' laptops - never had one defective out of the box, never had anyone bring one back for going bad quickly. I definitely could see potential problems with the charge management, but I've never encountered it personally.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Reader
3/4/19 2:18 p.m.

That would recharge my canoe just fine. His profile says "online marketer" no E36 M3!

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
3/4/19 3:12 p.m.

2015 Thread, canoe deleted

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EnhSbGmHeQ5WMcfU3n6N6IFhOaqzVlLAeS7wspqOWDF2fNgyxEXQ2kxd5jbbaKb3