Wayslow
Wayslow Reader
1/9/14 11:31 a.m.

I used to play with these things for hours on end. I passed them down to my nephew and he has given them back to me now. There used to be quite a few more but between him and I we reduced their numbers. Still a kinda cool collection though.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
1/9/14 11:37 a.m.

I have fond memories of them as well. I'm old enough that the first cars I remember were the original Aurora Thunderjet cars from the late 60's. I still have mine!

Santa brought the kids an AFX race set this Christmas. Four lanes of slot car goodness. It's seeing some use. Amazing how fast the new cars can go compared to the old TJ cars.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/9/14 11:51 a.m.

Want to sell them?

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/9/14 8:45 p.m.

Very cool. I still have all of mine.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 SuperDork
1/9/14 9:09 p.m.

Mine are in the attic. Plan on digging them out and adding to the set when the grandkids are old enough.

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
1/10/14 7:55 a.m.
1988RedT2 wrote: Amazing how fast the new cars can go compared to the old TJ cars.

I think T-jets are more fun... feathering the controller... sliding around corners...

chknhwk
chknhwk HalfDork
1/10/14 10:12 p.m.

I see more slot cars in my future - I can't wait to get my son involved. He loves anything automotive related, I just need to teach him boundaries. LOL He's 2.5 and likes to try to steal the cars as they go by.

Flyin Mikey J
Flyin Mikey J Reader
1/10/14 11:56 p.m.

I was forced to pass mine down to my little brother and never saw them again. But I did get to move on to 1/32 Womps, then 1/24 scale Group 20s and onto a little karting and eventually oval track Stock Cars.

I guess one could look at AFX as sort of a gateway drug.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado UltimaDork
1/11/14 1:11 a.m.
Flyin Mikey J wrote: I guess one could look at AFX as sort of a gateway drug.

Or as a way to get a longer racetrack into the basement than 1/32 Scalextrics require. Do you want pretty cars, or do ya wanna race?

Jerry
Jerry Dork
1/11/14 7:19 a.m.

Memories...of the way we were. I wish I could remember where mine ended up, had a huge collection. Thinking they got "recycled" after I went in the Navy by my mom.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/11/14 9:35 a.m.

I inherited a bunch of Aurora stuff from my older brother. I still have most of them. I have a Cobra, an E-Type, a GT 40, a '65 Mustang, and a couple of '67 Camaros.

FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 Dork
1/11/14 10:13 a.m.

I remember when the G-force cars came out and they were a quantum leap from the old models.

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar SuperDork
1/11/14 10:32 a.m.

The AFX stuff was too expensive when I was a kid. I have a bunch of Tyco stuff in the basement, including the HO train rail road crossing pieces. When my niece and nephews get a little older I might have to set a track up again.

Flyin Mikey J
Flyin Mikey J Reader
1/11/14 3:29 p.m.
friedgreencorrado wrote:
Flyin Mikey J wrote: I guess one could look at AFX as sort of a gateway drug.
Or as a way to get a longer racetrack into the basement than 1/32 Scalextrics require. Do you want pretty cars, or do ya wanna race?

I never had a 1/32 track at home, but had a number of commercial 1/32 and 1/24 tracks in the area. Coolest part for me as a kid was that it was a winter sport for the local real life racers. Beating those that I watched from the stands was quite a thrill for a 12 year old me.

David S. Wallens
1/11/14 3:52 p.m.

During our recent Big Cleanup I came across this.

AFX

Check out the car in second place. I sent a photo to Peter Brock. He was like, Wow, never saw that box art before.

Wayslow
Wayslow Reader
1/12/14 9:24 a.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens:

My first slot car set was a 1/24 scale Cox. It came with a BRE 240z and a Brumos 911. It would've been in the early 70's. I don't know what happened to that set but it's probably landfill now.

Spitsix
Spitsix GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/13/14 8:09 p.m.

Scored Tyco cars!

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/13/14 8:30 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: During our recent Big Cleanup I came across this. AFX Check out the car in second place. I sent a photo to Peter Brock. He was like, Wow, never saw that box art before.

I think I have that Camaro too.

David S. Wallens
1/13/14 9:56 p.m.
Woody wrote:
David S. Wallens wrote: During our recent Big Cleanup I came across this. AFX Check out the car in second place. I sent a photo to Peter Brock. He was like, Wow, never saw that box art before.
I think I have that Camaro too.

If I remember correctly, my set came with the Camaro and Road Runner. That original set eventually grew to nicely cover a 4x8 sheet.

racerfink
racerfink SuperDork
1/14/14 1:15 a.m.

In reply to Wayslow: Are you sure it wasn't a 1/32 scale set with the Bob Sharp 240Z and Peter Gregg Brumos Porsche? I got that set for Christmas in '76 or '77.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/14/14 7:09 a.m.

My brother and I had aTyco set. We burned up a lot of cars on that, the a commercial track opened in town that my dad and uncle would take us to every week. By the time they closed they had built the most expensive Womps they could. Without the aero of the bigger cars they made nice missiles.

Wayslow
Wayslow Reader
1/14/14 10:10 a.m.
racerfink wrote: In reply to Wayslow: Are you sure it wasn't a 1/32 scale set with the Bob Sharp 240Z and Peter Gregg Brumos Porsche? I got that set for Christmas in '76 or '77.

It could very well have been. It was a long time ago and my memory isn't improving with age.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Y9buKwaummEljaSGjz13RuD5EIvvFbeE8hOcs0FTNi5zJOctsrmrHFTVxN7cjmw2