1 2 3 4
mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
1/23/19 7:07 p.m.

It's always good to have a couple of people in your life who call you (or you them) and say "so I have an idea......" Spouse, buddy, kid, doesn't really matter. Just someone who keeps you on your toes with what if questions. It's also fine to bow out of a hobby and try new things. Newness and growth are wonderful at any age. 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/23/19 7:12 p.m.

I enjoy my life MUCH more than when I was young. 

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
1/23/19 7:13 p.m.
loosecannon said:

I have my 50th birthday in March and my plan is to stay as active as possible, as long as possible. I am getting aches and pains but I keep going to the gym, eating right and (I realize I'm blessed to be able to do this) race karts against people 1/3 of my age. I saw some studies that showed seniors can improve scores on cognitive tests just by working out and I believe the gym is the reason I am as active as I am. I have some back and joint injuries and as long as I keep going to the gym, I feel fine but if I stop for a couple of weeks, I suddenly start hurting so much that putting on socks becomes a chore. 

When my wife and I travel, we do a lot of walking or hiking and I rarely use the elevators but prefer the stairs. We take our dog for walks every day (except in winter, we're not masochists) and once a summer we do an all day bike ride. We're trying to keep old age at bay

Actually, exercise is one of the recommendations for osteoarthritis. Seems a bit counter intuitive, working something that is worn out, but as you can attest, it does help.

Also, learn a new language.  "Science and E36 M3" shows it good for your brain as you age.  I'm learning Dutch.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/23/19 9:14 p.m.

Gordie Howe was throwing elbows and berkeleying people up, professionally, at 52.

My advice: Start berkeleying people up. All of them. laugh

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
1/23/19 11:14 p.m.

Haha, I'm no Gordie Howe, but at 42, I'm asst coaching my son's rugby team, and I swear I'm having more fun than him. I am beat UP tonight after a kickass practice. I never look forward to coaching, but after a practice, I'm always so stoked. I

My wife keeps urging me to age gracefully, but berkeley that right in the butt. I've got E36 M3 to do in my life and I'll be damned if my aging shell is going to hold me back. The war is in the mind.

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/23/19 11:28 p.m.

In a funny way, I feel like I was a little lucky to have lower back problems start at 20, and find out how to deal with them. The world keeps telling me I'm old (I'm 47, so at least out of the running for leading man in any summer blockbusters), but I keep having to hit my mental reset, and realize while I'm a bit slower to limber up than when I was 25, a lot of the aches and pains aren't new, and I'm better at managing them than I used to be. I'm not denying the effects of aging, but I do think that old bit about how we don't stop playing because we grow old, but grow old because we stop playing holds some water.

The rest? Pay attention to what you think is fun, and what you don't. Not that I have radical answers for success with happiness, but I feel pretty good. The stuff I'm working on is a lot of the same stuff, further on. Stuff I want to do, time management... I'm less social than I used to be, but I think while some is natural, some is that as we get older, we gut "busier" (more clutter of concerns rattling around in one's head), and it seems like a bigger deal to see friends. Like you've gotta make plans, days or weeks in advance, and by then it feels like it's cutting into free time. We're moving across town and will be closer to a lot of friends, and I'm really hoping to do more light, casual hanging out. It's good to see people you like, and it's worth doing even if folks only have half an hour. You don't have to make it The Evening's (or The Weekend's) Entire Activity. Sorry, starting to ramble, but I think it's pertinent.

I think if you're doing it right, it probably doesn't feel like raging.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/23/19 11:56 p.m.

chandler
chandler PowerDork
1/24/19 6:16 a.m.
Teh E36 M3 said:

Haha, I'm no Gordie Howe, but at 42, I'm asst coaching my son's rugby team, and I swear I'm having more fun than him. I am beat UP tonight after a kickass practice. I never look forward to coaching, but after a practice, I'm always so stoked. I

My wife keeps urging me to age gracefully, but berkeley that right in the butt. I've got E36 M3 to do in my life and I'll be damned if my aging shell is going to hold me back. The war is in the mind.

The E36 M3 says PIITB.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
1/24/19 6:38 a.m.

A good book to combat this:

Kindle only, but easily worth the 99 cent price tag:

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Reader
1/24/19 9:47 a.m.
Streetwiseguy said:
mr2s2000elise said:

Are you married or have a GF?

Paying $3k a month in alimony based on earnings from boom times. 

No wonder you are bitter 

I find different women on rotation .... keeps me happy 

i read the theead here about “having common things with your SO” and I wince at how many GRM members have terrible marriages. At least you aren’t one of them 

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
1/24/19 10:04 a.m.
Streetwiseguy said:
mr2s2000elise said:

Are you married or have a GF?

Paying $3k a month in alimony based on earnings from boom times. 

Usually that can be addressed annually, you just appeal to the court and show your last 1040.  My friend did that and he went from paying his ex wife to her having to pay him!

Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
1/24/19 10:22 a.m.

Frenchy and Satchel have the right idea.  I'm 73, just bought a new baritone saxophone to go with my other three horns to improve the variety of my playing in a rock/blues band (as well as a concert band and sax ensemble), still playing with cars, still researching the history of the American West and writing and selling magazine articles about it, still traveling (still shoveling snow, but that's exercise, right?), still enjoying good food, life is good.  Physically slowing down a bit, but mentally still feel 40.  Hang in there, develop interests and keep your enthusiasm for life.  Old age is an attitude - for me, it's always 10 years older than I am (a moving definition).  Keep your eyes up, look where you want to go, and steer to get there.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Reader
1/24/19 10:39 a.m.

How can I age gracefully when I was never remotely graceful in my youth??? Especially since I will not grow up.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Reader
1/24/19 10:40 a.m.
docwyte said:

Usually that can be addressed annually, you just appeal to the court and show your last 1040.  My friend did that and he went from paying his ex wife to her having to pay him!

Now THAT is some good going yes

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/24/19 11:00 a.m.

I will turn 50 next summer.  I have a 7-year old that helps keep me young.  I have made friends through racing who are in their 20s and 30s, and they keep me young.  I still grab a Lego kit or Matchbox from time to time.  I guess I just refuse to grow up.  

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
1/24/19 11:22 a.m.

I'll be 49 on Sunday, which seems wrong.  How the Hell did I get so old?  

Fortunately, I'm in better shape now than I was when I was 39.  The older you get, the more the body wants to just sit on the couch and shut down.  Don't allow it.   Just a little exercise every day (pushups, situps, walks, biking, etc) can wake up your metabolism and make you feel much better, and give you more energy.

Winter is tough up North--- lack of sun, crappy and cold outside, short days--- it makes it very easy to slip into a sedentary lifestyle.   Exercise helps a ton, but so does eating right.  Try to eat lots of fruits and veggies and cut out the fat.  It's easy to go into hibernation mode in the Winter.   If you allow it though, it's tough to break even after Spring has Sprung.  

I've found the older I get, the more sensitive my body is to what I eat.  I've also found that my body can rebound in a pretty amazing way--- once I cut out the soda, crappy (over) eating habits, and exercised more.

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
1/24/19 11:23 a.m.

Huh !

I Think there may be a Sweet Spot for Gettin' Old and Younger people Helping, 60-65 Nobody comes around anymore so at 67 I got the doors Locked and don't really want to be Bothered.

Cars are even becoming Pipe Dreams, Can't just Grab Tranny and put it on your chest to Install, I Barely want to do that stuff with a lift and Jack. This Fiero Has Been Sitting For Weeks at a Time/ but Soon Man.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
1/24/19 1:29 p.m.

I found it ironic that this was posted on my 60 th birthday.

There is a part of me that is concerned that I might have hit my life goal a bit early.

Pete

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
1/24/19 1:54 p.m.

Probably been said before.

"To grow old is inevitable. To grow up is optional."

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
1/24/19 2:02 p.m.
iceracer said:

Probably been said before.

"To grow old is inevitable. To grow up is optional."

I'm 60, still street ride at night on my 20" BMX bike a couple times a week.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/24/19 2:26 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

BTW,  happy birthday, dude.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
1/24/19 2:32 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Thanks! My gift to myself was a trip to FL to hang out with a 91 year old for a week and seek some perspective.

Pete

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
1/24/19 4:06 p.m.

I turn 49 this summer.  I work out 3ish times a week, run on the treadmill, core excercises, lift weights, ski in the winter and mtn bike in the summer.  I'm beginning to lose some hair, which I'm not happy about.  Not unhappy enough to really do anything about it tho

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk PowerDork
1/24/19 6:46 p.m.

66, still playing hockey, gym 2 or 3 times a week, golf in the warmer months, building a Challenge car (slowly building). I still have too much free time so I need to find some other stuff to do. Yes, there are aches and pains that I didn't have 20 years ago, but that's life. I hang out with my sons as much as I can and belong to a couple of groups where there are younger people and more car stuff. I do need to see my doctor and see if I can get one of those sleep studies done. A CPAP machine might enhance my energy levels so I can get more done.

I accept that I'm aging and stuff is and will continue to get harder, but I'm encouraged by the fact that my parents are both alive and kicking. They wer.e golfing until a couple of years ago, Mom just stopped curling a year ago. I can't be the Energizer Bunny running on all 9V, but I'll try to be the fastest 3V bunny I can.

Edit: ...aaannnddd, at my first Challenge I got the "Old Guy" trophy as a 65 year old . I intend to take it home next time ,too !

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
1/24/19 8:16 p.m.

For you GEEZERS out there, there's this stuff, known as 'NMN' and available on teh amazones.  Now, I'm not making any claims or recommendations, but my arm hurt from berkeleying bowling with all the young people from work, and 6 months later it still hurt.  I'm sure ya'll know what I'm talking about.  I mean, I normally have pretty good grip strength from decades of motorcycle riding, but it hurt to squeeze a bottle of shampoo.  Lateral epicondylitis, AKA "tennis elbow."  I started taking that stuff, one little scoop in the morning, and my arm started getting better almost immediately.  A graph of pain over time would look just like Al Gore's made up hockey stick chart, but inverted.  I've been on it now for about 3 months and my hair color is coming back.

I read the studies.  Real studies, not yootoobe studies.  It promotes cellular metabolism.  Dis scientist guy gave it to mice.  The older mice would then do their little mouse jobs much more efficiently.  It didn't do E36 M3 for younger mice.  You guys make up your own minds.  I'm just a satisfied customer.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YnmqL8eAn9bpR2zKgEcERYKUYPDQ9YstvsZA5I41obPLjgiI5rOYwikncyPDHKLr