1 2 3 4
mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Reader
1/24/19 9:22 p.m.
docwyte said:

I turn 49 this summer.  I work out 3ish times a week, run on the treadmill, core excercises, lift weights, ski in the winter and mtn bike in the summer.  I'm beginning to lose some hair, which I'm not happy about.  Not unhappy enough to really do anything about it tho

Sell me your business. Retire early. So I can own a Porsche devil

TasdevEngineer2of3
TasdevEngineer2of3 New Reader
1/24/19 10:26 p.m.

I was in my 30s when my father developed Alzheimers - he was 62 when he was diagnosed - a couple years from retiring. It took his life 10 years later but his connection to us and the world years before. He was a WWII Iwo Jima survivor, a hard worker and a great husband. As you might imagine that had a profound impact on my view of things. Shortly after his death I started roadracing - something I had watched and said a few years before I had to but could never do. 

I did quit racing in my 40s as our life situation evolved. A few motorcycles, some toy cars and some autocrossing tried to fill the hole but as I eventually realized - didn't. I am now in my 60s and was fortunate enough to quit the "must work for pay" world some years back. About 5 years ago, my son and I started kart racing (which is one of the best things I ever did and one of the best kept racing secrets). He graduated from college and insisted we quit the karts and start roadracing again. We did last year. If I am lucky and work at staying fit, I figure I can continue into my 70s. 

The moral of my story is our time to go will come. Maybe when we least expect or want. It could come when we are well past when we wished we had gone. In the meantime, I know I don't want to dissolve into the sofa watching Bachelor reruns or some other of the latest crap broadcast on TV or the Internet if you prefer. I don't know if I will fight or not when my time comes. So I plan to continue learning, making, building and wasting hydrocarbons competitively in some fashion. 

The good news that most of us share - we each get to decide.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UltraDork
1/25/19 6:28 p.m.

In reply to Dr. Hess :

you mention a scoop of powder Dr.  Most popular on Amz are capsules.  Does it matter what brand I try? smiley

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
1/25/19 7:26 p.m.

In reply to nutherjrfan :

This is the stuff I buy:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0794R78CK/

It is the cheapest per gram, and as it is a powder, I think it is absorbed faster v. a compressed tablet or a capsule.  They say to put it under your tongue, but I just put it in a glass of water with my fiber.

frenchyd
frenchyd UltraDork
1/25/19 9:50 p.m.
TasdevEngineer2of3 said:

I was in my 30s when my father developed Alzheimers - he was 62 when he was diagnosed - a couple years from retiring. It took his life 10 years later but his connection to us and the world years before. He was a WWII Iwo Jima survivor, a hard worker and a great husband. As you might imagine that had a profound impact on my view of things. Shortly after his death I started roadracing - something I had watched and said a few years before I had to but could never do. 

I did quit racing in my 40s as our life situation evolved. A few motorcycles, some toy cars and some autocrossing tried to fill the hole but as I eventually realized - didn't. I am now in my 60s and was fortunate enough to quit the "must work for pay" world some years back. About 5 years ago, my son and I started kart racing (which is one of the best things I ever did and one of the best kept racing secrets). He graduated from college and insisted we quit the karts and start roadracing again. We did last year. If I am lucky and work at staying fit, I figure I can continue into my 70s. 

The moral of my story is our time to go will come. Maybe when we least expect or want. It could come when we are well past when we wished we had gone. In the meantime, I know I don't want to dissolve into the sofa watching Bachelor reruns or some other of the latest crap broadcast on TV or the Internet if you prefer. I don't know if I will fight or not when my time comes. So I plan to continue learning, making, building and wasting hydrocarbons competitively in some fashion. 

The good news that most of us share - we each get to decide.

I was 24 when my father age 48 died of cancer.  My mother left me when I was 5.  So our lives have similarity.  

My first thrill was the rush you get from landing on an aircraft carrier at night during a storm at sea.  Trust me, racing is a mild substitute but better than nothing. 

When focusing on building my house took over my life I missed the rush of wheel to wheel competition but as the house nears completion I’m again looking forward to that.  

Paul Newman liked the demand and focus racing takes and did it up to shortly before his death. Imagine in your 80’s blasting down the Mulsane straight at LeMans? 

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UltraDork
1/25/19 9:58 p.m.
Dr. Hess said:

This is the stuff I buy:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0794R78CK/

It is the cheapest per gram, and as it is a powder, I think it is absorbed faster v. a compressed tablet or a capsule.  They say to put it under your tongue, but I just put it in a glass of water with my fiber.

the link you provided is for the smaller buy which is sold out but it is still available for multiple purchase.  Thanks. smiley

multiple purchase.

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
1/26/19 7:45 a.m.
Jim Pettengill said:

Keep your eyes up, look where you want to go, and steer to get there.

This x10.  I could go on with my own sob story.  To make it short, I'm 46 and just last week had my second hip surgery in 5 years.  So I'm sitting here on crutches.  My other hip has the same morphology as the one that's been operated on twice, so that's coming.  I've had both knees operated on.  I have a pretty ugly cervical herniation and a lumbar herniation...neither have had operations, but it's only a matter of time.  I have Crohns' disease. 

But you know what?  berkeley it.  I keep my eyes up, look where I want to go and steer.  If I go off course, such is life.  I've got the most wonderful wife in the world and three wonderful children.  I'm a gym rat, lifting weights 5 days a week (even now while I'm on crutches).  I follow a pretty tight nutrition plan.  So I do what I can to take care of myself physically.  At the same time, despite my challenges, I refuse to sit on the couch and watch life pass me by.  I've been so fortunate to be able to race in LeMons for 7 years now, with something like 30 races under my belt (can't thank fellow GRMer Sonic enough).  Racing has been my life long dream, so I'm living it.  I stay physically active with my kids.  Just last night I had the following conversation with my wife...she said "You know, the doctor said that while he cleaned your hip up and fixed everything, you should keep in mind you have a fragile hip and baby it some".  My answer "Yeah, I understand.  While I'm not going to intentionally abuse it, I'm also not going to sit around.  I'd rather get 5 fun years out of my hip than 15 years of sitting on the couch".  Yes, being on crutches sucks and I'm miserable right now, but this will pass in a couple of months and I'm back at it.  I'm going to keep racing, keep working out, play with my kids, I would love to do a du-tri-run and/or a tough mudder soon.

So yeah...eyes up, look ahead and steer.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
1/26/19 8:25 a.m.

That's not the same stuff.  The NMN, not NAD is what that science guy studied that I read.  It goes out of stock but comes back in stock.  This one is instock and is the same stuff, but capped:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B074LTRSXJ

Compressed:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07BB5YFRS

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UltraDork
1/26/19 10:53 p.m.

In reply to Dr. Hess :

thanks again.  Corrected my Amz shopping list. smiley

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/28/19 10:10 a.m.

I try to rage, but quickly get sleepy and distracted by TV. Summers too hot, winter's too cold, wallets too thin. Excuses, anixiety, depression, excuses...

One thing I have enjoyed the past few months is going out and trying  a different brewery each week. Should be keeping notes on that.

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
1/28/19 8:48 p.m.
Klayfish said:
Jim Pettengill said:

Keep your eyes up, look where you want to go, and steer to get there.

This x10.  I could go on with my own sob story.  To make it short, I'm 46 and just last week had my second hip surgery in 5 years.  So I'm sitting here on crutches.  My other hip has the same morphology as the one that's been operated on twice, so that's coming.  I've had both knees operated on.  I have a pretty ugly cervical herniation and a lumbar herniation...neither have had operations, but it's only a matter of time.  I have Crohns' disease. 

But you know what?  berkeley it.  I keep my eyes up, look where I want to go and steer.  If I go off course, such is life.  I've got the most wonderful wife in the world and three wonderful children.  I'm a gym rat, lifting weights 5 days a week (even now while I'm on crutches).  I follow a pretty tight nutrition plan.  So I do what I can to take care of myself physically.  At the same time, despite my challenges, I refuse to sit on the couch and watch life pass me by.  I've been so fortunate to be able to race in LeMons for 7 years now, with something like 30 races under my belt (can't thank fellow GRMer Sonic enough).  Racing has been my life long dream, so I'm living it.  I stay physically active with my kids.  Just last night I had the following conversation with my wife...she said "You know, the doctor said that while he cleaned your hip up and fixed everything, you should keep in mind you have a fragile hip and baby it some".  My answer "Yeah, I understand.  While I'm not going to intentionally abuse it, I'm also not going to sit around.  I'd rather get 5 fun years out of my hip than 15 years of sitting on the couch".  Yes, being on crutches sucks and I'm miserable right now, but this will pass in a couple of months and I'm back at it.  I'm going to keep racing, keep working out, play with my kids, I would love to do a du-tri-run and/or a tough mudder soon.

So yeah...eyes up, look ahead and steer.

prayer list for you brother.......

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
1/28/19 8:51 p.m.
Gearheadotaku said:

I try to rage, but quickly get sleepy and distracted by TV. Summers too hot, winter's too cold, wallets too thin. Excuses, anixiety, depression, excuses...

One thing I have enjoyed the past few months is going out and trying  a different brewery each week. Should be keeping notes on that.

come to Birmingham Al for a long weekend there's a craft brewery skirmish going on .....six that I've found and no tellin' what'll pop next week.... .

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
1/29/19 6:42 a.m.

In reply to Klayfish :

The couch will kill you.  Keep up the good fight my friend.  

octavious
octavious Dork
1/29/19 10:41 a.m.

I’m gonna come in sideways with my hair on fire.  But not in a bad way.  I just keep having fun and refuse to give up.  I’m 41, 2 kids who keep me hoping, and just took up trail running cause I needed to cardio, and I HATE road running and gyms.  I’m also part of a workout group F3 that meets at 0530 every morning outside, and does boot camp workouts. Having some guys go through the gloom and get out and push each other has been fantastic for me. I took up trail running cause it’s like 4wheeling for exercise. 

And I don’t stop doing kid things, Nerf gun fights, riding bikes, obstacle courses in the backyard, pool time, board games, video games, Legos, laser tag, whatever.  Just be a kid makes you feel younger. If you don’t have some there are multiple groups who would love to have you volunteer. It’s good stuff. 

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
1/29/19 7:04 p.m.

Some one asked me how long I was going to do what ever it was I was doing at the time.

When it stops being fun.

I have dropped a few in the past.   Not age related.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Reader
1/29/19 10:33 p.m.

I have stopped wheel to wheel racing because it stopped being fun, I hurt too much when I climbed out of the car. I am only 66. My friend Harry on the other hand just won Formula Vee at the SCCA Super Tour Homestead-Miami. Harry is 90...!

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
2/4/19 8:11 p.m.

After a couple of weeks, I see some good stuff in here.  My initial premise, that we are a generation that refuses to grow up, has proven true, as has my thought that I'm not the only one feeling his age.

I posted when I did because I had failed a cardiac stress test a few days before, and iI'm about eight hours past my angiogram, which shows that I need at least a quadruple bypass, so somewhere around the end of February I get cracked open.

We shall see whether this all makes me happier...No racing this summer, anyway.

imgon
imgon Reader
2/4/19 9:10 p.m.

Good luck with your upcoming surgery,  try and stay positive,  a health scare has got to bring up some dark thoughts.  Is there something you've always wanted to try? Maybe  stand up comedy, volunteer at a nursing home, sing in a church choir, write poetry,  learn to ride a unicycle , teach someone how to fix their car, try landscape or portrait photography or maybe just go for a walk in the woods. I have found I have cycled through many hobbies and friends over the years, as things get stale or not as much fun, move on to something else that peeks your interest.  I've tripped over most of my present hobbies by finding out what some of my friends or acquaintances do for fun. For years I rode my motorcycle 12-15000 miles a year all over the eastern part of the country.  I loved it, I saw all sorts of cool places and met some incredible people, I figured I would just keep going further west exploring the country.  Then one day a friend suggested I try racing. Now my poor bike gathers more dust than miles now, but that's ok,  I have been having a ball learning to drive the car and meeting even more amazing people. Keep an open mind and lean on your friends here when needed.

TLDR Our lives are constantly changing, try and find people to hang around with and things to do that make you happy or bring out the best in you. Good luck.

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
2/4/19 9:28 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

After a couple of weeks, I see some good stuff in here.  My initial premise, that we are a generation that refuses to grow up, has proven true, as has my thought that I'm not the only one feeling his age.

I posted when I did because I had failed a cardiac stress test a few days before, and iI'm about eight hours past my angiogram, which shows that I need at least a quadruple bypass, so somewhere around the end of February I get cracked open.

We shall see whether this all makes me happier...No racing this summer, anyway.

Prayers for a successful surgery and a speedy recovery......peace out

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
2/5/19 9:02 a.m.

Yeah, good luck, guy.  Do what they say post operatively.  You'll only be held together by some stainless safety wire at that point.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
2/14/19 10:36 a.m.

Back in stock:

Magic Dust.

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
2/14/19 1:17 p.m.

Best news I ever got.   "Your heart is fine. You don't need a heart doctor" .  From a cardiologist after tests following a bout of a-fib.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UltraDork
2/14/19 1:55 p.m.

In reply to Dr. Hess :

Bought the $69 option. Working part time this past two weeks even with a head cold has seen some improvement as I was working too damn much for too damn little. Maybe this'll give me a little extra. We'll see. smiley

No Time
No Time Dork
4/15/19 12:51 p.m.

So after reading this thread and doing some online research, I saw the studies on NMN and also some in NR (Nicotinamide Riboside).

Has anyone found conclusive, or at least sound scientific information about which is better (NMN or NR)?

I have both in my amazon cart, so I’m trying to decide which one to go with, and I’m hoping someone has found more info comparing them that I was able to find. 

bentwrench
bentwrench SuperDork
4/15/19 5:39 p.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

I stopped because the prep, setup and teardown are more than I can take physically and I can't afford to hire someone to do it for me, if I could find someone with the same dedication as me.

The seat time is pure golden, nothing better, I have learned that if the power steering fails to stop. That's the only time i regretted racing.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
15JF8nCG4C4NkTiy9fBK1xVvz97LUgl4O5AS9KwdTDnYwgxQCrmpHNqb6SJfRJW1