1 ... 5 6 7 8
Otto_Maddox
Otto_Maddox Reader
9/1/10 8:58 a.m.

I wear soccer shorts over my bike shorts. Bike shorts should be considered an undergarment. There is no way a man can wear bike shorts without being obscene. I guess women can get away with it, but even girls with great bodies look kind of fat in them.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 Reader
9/1/10 9:25 a.m.
Otto_Maddox wrote: I wear soccer shorts over my bike shorts. Bike shorts should be considered an undergarment. There is no way a man can wear bike shorts without being obscene. I guess women can get away with it, but even girls with great bodies look kind of fat in them.

Prude!

benzbaron
benzbaron HalfDork
9/1/10 12:41 p.m.

Seriously around here there are bicyclist going lance armstrong across the golden gate bridge and running tourists over. Many bicyclist have a sense of entitlement and don't want to follow the rule of law for the road, yet they expect cars to make concession to them. Then when they make a mistake and kill themselves it is a tragedy. If you choose to ride a bicycle on a busy two lane road you have taken you life in your hands. Another issue is bicyclist don't pay any road taxes so there isn't any money for safety improvement like dedicated bicycle lanes.

I was riding my moms little honda 230 dual sport and had a bicyclist pull that I'm going to ride two deep on a fast two lane road. I had to cross the yellow line so I didn't hit them.

PHeller
PHeller Dork
9/1/10 12:45 p.m.

On another note I've put 30 miles on my mountain bike in 3 days. Gotta get back into it for college racing season.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
9/1/10 12:47 p.m.
benzbaron wrote: I was riding my moms little honda 230 dual sport and had a bicyclist pull that I'm going to ride two deep on a fast two lane road. I had to cross the yellow line so I didn't hit them.

You should have hooked his chin strap and pulled him along for a mile or two

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
9/1/10 5:40 p.m.

Brake checks work for bicycles, too.

kabel
kabel Dork
9/3/10 7:55 p.m.
benzbaron wrote: Many bicyclist have a sense of entitlement and don't want to follow the rule of law for the road, yet they expect cars to make concession to them.

that is actually the issue I have with them, they do feel entitled and they do try to follow the rule of law for the road. But they are on a bicycle, not a motor vehicle.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro Dork
9/3/10 11:38 p.m.
benzbaron wrote: Another issue is bicyclist don't pay any road taxes so there isn't any money for safety improvement like dedicated bicycle lanes.

And there's the solution to our problems right there folks.

Licence bike riders for roads. Tag and insure the bicycles with a yearly road use fee.

Make them pay for using the roads, just like the rest of us.

No tax paid. No use of the road.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
9/4/10 1:31 a.m.
Otto_Maddox wrote: I wear soccer shorts over my bike shorts. Bike shorts should be considered an undergarment. There is no way a man can wear bike shorts without being obscene. I guess women can get away with it, but even girls with great bodies look kind of fat in them.

wat

Jay
Jay Dork
9/4/10 1:40 a.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: And there's the solution to our problems right there folks. Licence bike riders for roads. Tag and insure the bicycles with a yearly road use fee. Make them pay for using the roads, just like the rest of us. No tax paid. No use of the road.

Yeah, and while we're at it, license and road tax all those damn pedestrians too. And rollerbladers. And bag ladies. And kids with power wheels. Not to mention dogs & squirrels. Wanna play ball hockey? You're gonna need a license for those nets, punk.

joey48442
joey48442 SuperDork
9/4/10 7:44 a.m.
gamby wrote:
wat

That looks like when you shoot a hot chick full of testosterone.

Joey

gamby
gamby SuperDork
9/4/10 8:47 a.m.
joey48442 wrote: That looks like when you shoot a hot chick full of testosterone.

That's what an athletic woman looks like. Go to google images, enter "Liz Hatch" and tell me how manly she looks.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/4/10 9:00 a.m.

I'll pass on the licensing. Your friendly government has their nose in enough already.

Mikey52_1
Mikey52_1 Reader
9/4/10 9:34 a.m.

sighs...pulls the grey haired old man card out of pocket...best Barney Fife voice...When I was a kid about 12 riding my bike, I ran a stop sign. Got clobbered by a woman minding her own business, wondering what this bone-head kid is doing running into her door. The men in blue were called, an investigation ensued, I was questioned as to whether I understood that the stop sign meant me too, and asked if I was okay to get home. A couple hours later, a man in blue was at the door with my very first moving violation ticket. And then a couple days later I had to go to traffic court and explain my actions to Da Judge. And I got a $25.00 fine for a memory jogger. And I got to fix my bike myself out of my own pocket. A banner day, all in all. But I never ever ran another stop sign. I always assumed after that, that I was invisible to a driver, and that I'd come out second best in a tough-guy contest with any car.

That said, I see kids all the time that haven't yet learned these lessons. And the whole Critical Mass movement...words fail. Just...wow. How exactly is this supposed to further the cause of cyclists? Beats the crap out of me!

I no longer ride a bike much because it hurts my knees too much, but I do keep an eye out for knot-headedness when it surfaces. I just wish it didn't surface so often.

mattmacklind
mattmacklind SuperDork
9/4/10 2:00 p.m.

Today I saw a cyclist who was in the oncoming lane at a 4 lane street intersection, but partially concealed by the traffic around him. I was waiting to turn left. The traffic concealing him cleared just as he entered the intersection. I was glad I saw him, so I was till waiting. He waved and said thanks as he rode through, even though he had a right to be there he knew he wasn't visible to others. I waved back, and it improved my impression of cyclists for the day I suppose.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/4/10 3:06 p.m.
joey48442 wrote: That looks like when you shoot a hot chick full of testosterone. Joey

Really?

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/4/10 3:14 p.m.
EastCoastMojo wrote:
joey48442 wrote: That looks like when you shoot a hot chick full of testosterone. Joey
Really?

Don't sick the bees on him. He knows not what hole he jumped in.

PHeller
PHeller Dork
9/4/10 3:59 p.m.

Critical Mass is designed to raise awareness of the number of bicycle commuters there are. It is not designed to incite rioting, mayhem or roadblocks.

I ride with Critical Mass in Erie, PA on the last Friday of every month. There is usually on 20-40 of us. We take a lane when there are two and try to ride single or double file in single lane areas.

Erie has not required us a parade permit as of yet. There have been no issues.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro Dork
9/5/10 12:22 a.m.
Jay wrote: Yeah, and while we're at it, license and road tax all those damn pedestrians too. And rollerbladers. And bag ladies. And kids with power wheels. Not to mention dogs & squirrels. Wanna play ball hockey? You're gonna need a license for those nets, punk.

See what I mean about licencing?

You clearly don't know the difference between the sidewalk (that's where the pedestrians are) and the road (where the big robots with round rubber feet are).

Rollerbladers are another suicidal bunch altogether and I believe they are actually banned from the roads where I live.

Cyclists have to follow the same rules of the road that cars do, that's the law. That's why road taxes and insurance should apply to them.

Pedestrians, street hockey players (pedestrians, no vehicle, remember) bag ladies etc are PEDESTRIANS and follow different rules. They're not vehicles.

The kid on the power wheels, well, you need to show a little discretion, at least he's off to a good start. And what kind of assbag would go after a kid in a power wheels for no insurance?

Shawn

joey48442
joey48442 SuperDork
9/5/10 8:18 a.m.
Toyman01 wrote:
EastCoastMojo wrote:
Really?
Don't sick the bees on him. He knows not what hole he jumped in.

I guess I don't. She's gorgeous, to be sure, but, in that picture at least, she looks like she has man-legs.

Joey

joey48442
joey48442 SuperDork
9/5/10 8:23 a.m.

Ok, I just googled her. She seems to be pretty hot. That was just not a very good picture, as far as her legs go. Sorry everybody.

Joey

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/5/10 9:14 a.m.

If all she is to you is a picture then you can crop it to your tastes. If you actually see her as another person then you start to think, holy E36 M3 - she worked her ass of to get those legs, and you gotta admire that.

joey48442
joey48442 SuperDork
9/5/10 10:29 a.m.
EastCoastMojo wrote: If all she is to you is a picture then you can crop it to your tastes. If you actually see her as another person then you start to think, holy E36 M3 - she worked her ass of to get those legs, and you gotta admire that.

All she is to me, right now, is a picture. I'm sure if I saw her in real life it would be a different story. I'm fascinated by strong bodies, I think it's great. I'm just not particularly attracted to them. It's like a quarterback. It's amazing to look at, but I dont find attractive. I wish I had one tenth the amount of time she does to exercise like that.

Joey

gamby
gamby SuperDork
9/6/10 12:17 a.m.
EastCoastMojo wrote: If all she is to you is a picture then you can crop it to your tastes. If you actually see her as another person then you start to think, holy E36 M3 - she worked her ass of to get those legs, and you gotta admire that.

...and I do.

Also, the musculature of a woman w/ strong legs vs. a man w/ strong legs are two VERY different things.

She is a 10 IMHO

RedS13Coupe
RedS13Coupe Reader
9/6/10 4:33 a.m.

Speaking of aggressive/suicidal bikers.... http://vimeo.com/14398817 Randomly found a "Why do people in cars hate us?" thread on a bike forum and that was posted. I cannot believe these shiny happy people.

I just recently got into road biking. It is a bit weird for me, since I have always hated sharing the road with them.

I am a driver first, so I try and stay the hell out of their way, and I do most of the time but I may have done a few things mentioned here. (but I try not to!)

Just a bit from the other side... Realize that SOME of the red lights you see us run we have to. I hate doing this, but realize that a lot of lights (at least around here) are triggered by sensors. These simply do not go off for bikes. Now I do wait until I have a damn good opening but I have ran a few.

Yes, I can block the lane occasionally... But again I am seriously trying not to. Those little road bike tires do not take ruts well, and puncture pretty easily. The side of the road offers nothing but ruts, bumps and sharp bits at times. I know its my fault for choosing equipment that makes sacrifices for performance, but if any group can understand this I would think this one can.

I will say this though... When you see me, and I see you... PASS ME. For the love of god. I hate holding up cars, and while a lot of people don't see you or don't care there are still a lot who care TOO much. So many people with plenty of room to spare, or even another lane will just sit behind afraid to pass. Not only do I not want to inconvenience you I don't want to ride with cars any more then I have to.

1 ... 5 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OFP07iLiElQrvgQf5yL7QcuLxbWQ7ZwBFIQ9uUM2AQVIucJsAXepWBGaSSkR6eEx