pheller
pheller PowerDork
3/14/17 8:56 a.m.

I wanted to save a good chunk of change, and being an adventure vehicle I didn't want to care too much about it, so I managed to find a pretty cheap, super clean, great running and fully loaded 06 Tundra Limited (adventure pictures to follow). It's a super nice truck but...it's a salvage title due to a minor accident that deployed the steering wheel airbag. No damage to frame or substantial components, just took out the bumper and headlight.

Most of the vehicles I've owned either didn't have airbags, or if they did, they were older, simpler types of varying effectiveness. I'm not scared of driving an airbag-less vehicle.

I've fixed vehicles in the past that had airbags deployed, and it was just a matter of a replacing sensors and airbag modules, but they were older, simpler vehicles. This is a new challenge.

The previous owner did his best to replace all the visibly deployed or damaged pieces, and I'll give him this much, he's done a good job. You wouldn't know the vehicle was in an accident. Drives straight and true.

But I've still got an SRS light.

Now, I haven't started digging into yet, but for all I know the spaces that are supposed to house airbag modules could be empty, and I've got a more expensive fix on my hands. Literature seems to indicate that I need some super fancy OBDII Advanced/Enhanced ABS/SRS code reader in order to reset or extract that codes related to which sensors may or may not faulty, and if I've got (or am missing) airbag modules. Some people say to take it to dealer and have them tell you what it needs, but if this is going to be an extended fix as I gather parts and do testing, it might be worthwhile to have a code reader.

Anybody know what types of code readers will not only allow me to reset the SRS light, but also determine which components may need replacing?

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
3/14/17 1:56 p.m.

Anything Snap-on, OTC or equivalent should be capable. Its entirely possible if all the blown bits have been replaced, you may need the main module, because sometimes they latch a code permanently. Depends on the manufacturer.

Could also be a missing airbag or crash sensor or busted wire or whatever too.

pheller
pheller PowerDork
3/14/17 2:02 p.m.

Will those types of code readers identify which specific part is throwing an error or fault?

I don't know enough about OBDII stuff to understand the different between an OBDII code or the whole system diagnostic codes sometimes called "body control modules"

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
3/14/17 2:30 p.m.

You get "B1234" codes instead of "P1234". It may even have data showing seat belt state, seat occupancy and so on.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YxTYngtr3SYLF32MgisxrArxN7az40QYSLwDMpuCoOg1Nnak2P6dLOO4QfmRjLWs