1 2
The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
3/7/19 3:45 p.m.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/201x-classifieds/too-many-health-issues-in-the-family-too-little-time-on-my-hands/142752/page1/

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/201x-classifieds/97-subaru-impreza-brighton-cranks-but-will-not-start-600/143172/page1/

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/201x-classifieds/1980-yamaha-xs400-ran-when-parked-600-obo/143174/page1/

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/parts-sale/foxstangearly-sn95-drivetrain-relocation-package-300/151452/page1/

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/parts-sale/oe-16-wheels-from-an-02-tahoe/151280/page1/

I realize the Gearhead M.O. is to buy cars and parts that you believe you need then sit on them for a while and later sell them for pennies on the dollar but this stuff has been for sale for a while. 

The pictures are gone for some reason but, beyond that, is there no market for any of this stuff? Was I delusional when I thought I could sell it?

Honestly, I'm at a loss.

I would buy the stuff.

I did, for much higher prices! LOL

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/7/19 3:58 p.m.

I would buy the mustang, and almost texted you on several occasions about it, but i have like eleventy billion project cars and talked sense into myself

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/7/19 3:59 p.m.

The tahoe wheels are pretty much worthless unless they have good tires on them. I have no use for any other projects at this time. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
3/7/19 4:04 p.m.

Throw them on craigslist and facebook markets. 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/7/19 4:59 p.m.

I've looked at your ads several times. I even considered the xs400 on our South Bend run last weekend. For me the vehicles just aren't unusual enough to displace another one of my projects. 

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UltraDork
3/7/19 5:10 p.m.

Might just be a waiting game.frown

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
3/7/19 5:51 p.m.

I don't know what you're selling in the first link.  The title of the thread doesn't say it and there are no photos or description or anything.  (I realize this may have happened after-the-fact and be no fault of your own, but it clearly kills the effectiveness of the thread.)  [edit:  I see now that it's a fox body after reading most of the thread.  Interesting.  I'd like to see the thread with photos re-added]

On the second one:  You're just too far from me to seriously consider the Impreza.  And the no photos thing will keep anyone from spending much time on the ad. (again, I realize...but still.)

Third one says Yamaha in the link so I assume it has two wheels a conveyer belt, or a keyboard...on to the next one.

Not sure what the deal is with the mustang k-member and stuff.  I bought a stock transmission crossmember for $35 from a specialty mustang parts guy a while back.  Your price doesn't seem out-of-line on the stuff, but if it's not selling I guess it's either priced too high or not reaching the right market.

On the wheels.  I had some stock steel 16" truck wheels for a while and they took FOREVER to sell for $80 with old-but-probably-usable tires on them.  Giving away local should be pretty easy, but you have to deal with the craigslisting/facebooking public that is interested in free wheels.  If we were local, I'd bring them home.  But we're not :(

I think it's mostly about your location relative to the (spread-out) masses here on GRM.  If you target a local audience, it'll likely sell.  But again, you won't be dealing with GRM-caliber tire-kickers.  

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
3/7/19 8:02 p.m.

In reply to mtn :

The Mustang has been on craigslist and I spammed FB niche markets with it. I believe I've done the same thing with the motorcycle and the Subaru, admittedly quite some time ago.

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
3/7/19 8:03 p.m.

Thanks for the input.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
3/7/19 8:23 p.m.

I don't know how well it translates, but I'll say this:  New auto parts sales have been in the tank for the past 2-3 months.  

Personally, for me that equates to no extra money for projects (since my income depends on selling new auto parts).  But the fact that people aren't fixing their cars, in general, probably is analogous to a dead market for projects and parts for projects. 

If the economy is such that people aren't fixing their daily driver...they sure aren't buying projects is what I'm getting at.  Christmas bills, tax time (with new tax law implications, I hear), vortices from at least one pole...these are reasons I hear for the sag.  

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
3/7/19 9:11 p.m.

Heck, I'd be interested in the Mustang myself, if it weren't for my massive project backlog.

Pattyo
Pattyo Reader
3/7/19 9:17 p.m.

I know it stinks but it is super hard to sell common vehicles that are not running for what they are worth. If you can take the time to remedy that, some high school kid will show up with a handful of dollars. 

Other than that you can pay barn finds to feature your stuff. Maybe get it out to a larger audience.

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
3/8/19 5:52 a.m.

The friends from GRM that I talk to regularly all agree that GRM is a terrible place to sell stuff because nobody buys anything. Even though I’ve bought a few cars from the classifieds. 

DebraServais
DebraServais
3/8/19 5:53 a.m.

The pictures are gone for some reason

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/8/19 6:09 a.m.
DebraServais said:

The pictures are gone for some reason

Yeah, that. I pointed it out in the Yamaha ad and you didn't fix it. You also didn't respond for 2.5 months after I asked if you'd gotten a message. Stuff like that doesn't help..

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
3/8/19 6:50 a.m.

You are too far away for me, cuz I'd be interested in the motorcycle.   

No Time
No Time Dork
3/8/19 7:21 a.m.

It could be the weather and season, I know winter weather tends to make me avoid automotive projects (or any outdoor  projects ) until the weather gets warmer. 

I think the mustang is interesting, but the distance is a deterrent, and it’s going to take some time to see if I can get a plan in motion.

The plan I’m looking into:

My older son started in the auto tech program at the regional Voc HS this year as a freshman. I want to meet with the instructor for his shop along with some of the other instructors/administrators (auto body, welding) to see if it could be possible for them to put together a team and car for the challenge in 2020.

Until I get to the school to talk with the instructor it’s all speculation, so it’s in a holding pattern. 

If the school is on board, then the search for a vehicle to start with will become more serious and will depend on their input on what vehicle would fit in their program. 

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
3/8/19 7:31 a.m.

In reply to bluej :

Sorry about that. Until recently I didn't get much home time.

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
3/8/19 4:35 p.m.

In reply to No Time :

That sounds like it would be the perfect use for the Mustang or the Impreza. Shoot me an email at Jedediah followed by the number eighty with no space between at yahoo.

FooBag
FooBag GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/8/19 4:44 p.m.

For me, none of your pictures show on the Subaru ad.  Yeah, it's a $500 car, so my expectations aren't high, but I'd like to see what I'm getting into.

stumpmj350
stumpmj350 New Reader
3/8/19 4:57 p.m.

The bike is too expensive.  Non-running, old,Japanese bikes are under $200.

My guess is it's the same story with the others.  If stuff doesn't sell, the price is too high.

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
3/14/19 5:17 p.m.

I have no idea why the pictures keep disappearing, I'm faaar from an expert when it comes to computers. 

Between work, kids, my sick wife and my piece of E36 M3 daily driver, I don't have much time left for anything. I'll work on re-posting the pics...again.

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 Dork
3/15/19 1:46 p.m.

I put a trailer up last night and it hasn't sold yet. Pretty disappointed also. As much as it sucks CL and FB marketplace cast a much wider net.

Cooter
Cooter SuperDork
3/15/19 3:48 p.m.

I'm pretty sure the first post in the Mustang thread has been deleted, and there is no way to tell what is being sold without scrolling down the tread.  Even then there aren't any photos in the thread.  CL links have died several ties in the threads, and it has been pointed out by myself an others.   All the information needs to be in post, as well as several photos.

Cooter
Cooter SuperDork
3/15/19 3:51 p.m.

As for the XS400, it also needs the photos re-added to the fort post, and while I wouldn't call it a $200 bike, $600 is very optimistic.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Mmbw0vl9EoMgg3wM9IAqG8iO8CNvkmAb5HDV8unkGRuKojDRq6asqJb8Nl3xoALt