1 2
Mr. Lee
Mr. Lee GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/12/18 10:08 a.m.

Sorry for the title, couldn't quite come up with the proper term for being biased towards one make or another....

The other day SWMBO and I were walking up to a local store when we heard the roar of an exhaust and screaming tires. I turn around and look, and see a Viper doing a rolling burnout from the exit of a round about to the stop sign ~300 feet away. I giggled a bit. SWMBO called me out on it. "If that was a mustang you would be making fun of it, not giggling." My response was "yeah, but you never see a Viper in the wild doing stupid crap like that. You always see mustangs doing stupid E3 M3" (yes, I used two different words for describing the same thing.) Don't get me wrong the Mustang is not a bad car, and I regularly troll CL for a 5.0 vert fox as I regret passing on one as a teen, and SWMBO has always liked them. BUT I don't have any desire to be included in the current real world meme of Mustang owners mowing people down trying to show off their 400hp stupidity machines, and revving their overly loud exhaust all over town.

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
4/12/18 10:46 a.m.

Shakes my head

Suprf1y
Suprf1y PowerDork
4/12/18 10:50 a.m.

scardeal
scardeal SuperDork
4/12/18 11:37 a.m.

Are you a racing enthusiast?  Then you're a racist.

Grizz
Grizz UberDork
4/12/18 11:41 a.m.

I think in this instance the proper term for biased would have been biased? I get the gist tho.

You're both right really. Rare stuff doing stupid but entertaining E36 M3 like burnouts gets more of a pass because you don't get to see it that often.

Rolling burnouts by a viper are cooler than ones by a common mustang just like having a Lambo being revved in a parking lot near you would be cooler than an STI doing it.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
4/12/18 11:43 a.m.

Yep, you never see car owners other than Mustangs being asshats.

http://www.thedrive.com/watch-this/16728/watch-a-dodge-viper-eat-it-leaving-cars-and-coffee

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/12/18 12:06 p.m.

I'm openly prejudiced against Porsche and Mustangs. No use denying or hiding it. 

It is mostly because they're treated as status symbols and are just wasted potential by the majority of their owners, but also because I find them extremely aesthetically unattractive. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
4/12/18 12:53 p.m.
RevRico said:

I'm openly prejudiced against Porsche and Mustangs. No use denying or hiding it. 

It is mostly because they're treated as status symbols and are just wasted potential by the majority of their owners, but also because I find them extremely aesthetically unattractive. 

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/12/18 12:56 p.m.

Everyone I know who owns a 911 shows off their Porsche design carbon fiber pen, drives like a grandma and has no clue who Hurley Haywood is.  I love the 911, I love what it can do in the right hands, but when I see one on the road, I immediately hate the asshat behind the wheel.  

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/12/18 1:27 p.m.

In reply to Mr. Lee :

Honestly, that’s one - albeit slight - reason I don’t enjoy owning or driving the Vette. I in no way want to tied to the stereotypical Corvette owner. So yeah, I totally get it. 

Conversely, the stereotypes associated with Miatas don’t bother me at all. But hardcore Corvette owners are just weird. 

Have you guys seen the “Corvette Owners & Wives and Girlfriends” Facebook page? Yeah, that’s a perfect example...

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/12/18 1:32 p.m.
pinchvalve said:

Everyone I know who owns a 911 shows off their Porsche design carbon fiber pen, drives like a grandma and has no clue who Hurley Haywood is.  I love the 911, I love what it can do in the right hands, but when I see one on the road, I immediately hate the asshat behind the wheel.  

Find different Porsche owners.  Especially ones that own older 911s or 944/924, they tend to be people who really enjoy them.

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/12/18 1:39 p.m.
Pete Gossett said:

In reply to Mr. Lee :

Honestly, that’s one - albeit slight - reason I don’t enjoy owning or driving the Vette. I in no way want to tied to the stereotypical Corvette owner. So yeah, I totally get it. 

Conversely, the stereotypes associated with Miatas don’t bother me at all. But hardcore Corvette owners are just weird. 

Have you guys seen the “Corvette Owners & Wives and Girlfriends” Facebook page? Yeah, that’s a perfect example...

One of my wife's uncles is a huge Corvette guy.  Belongs to the local club, weight lifter, owns an original ZR-1, autocrosses a C3 Pace Car, etc.  Dresses like a stereotypical corvette owner (jean shorts, tucked in shirt, white socks and sneakers.... Nicest guy ever though, love chatting with him and he's the family photographer.

Anyway, we had a house warming where they were invited and my wife invited one of her older co-workers, who shall we say has "lived" quite an interesting life when she was younger.  Turns out she was a member of the same Corvette club back in the day and when she and my wife's aunt got together to talk about "old times" ?  Well.... there were mentions of key parties, lots of drinking, "topless" drives, etc.

So while I try to avoid stereotypes, sometimes they are unavoidable.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
4/12/18 2:03 p.m.

Partly because its fun, but partly true- I always bug Lexus and Infiniti people about their extra price tarted up Camry/Maxima.

The thing that actually galls me is that the Nissan dealer can have paper coffee cups, but the Infiniti store has to have China.  I'm not sure exactly why that irritates me, but I think its my "Function must always come before form" attitude.  And, I'm a tightwad.

Second, I'm still not willing to forgive Audi for the 100LS and such from the 70's/80's.  Absolute garbage, and I haven't yet been convinced...

Third, the bolt on the back of the block on a 530i holding the egr tube pissed me off no end every time I had to lift the head off, so BMW will always mean aggravation to me.

Bob the REAL oil guy.
Bob the REAL oil guy. MegaDork
4/12/18 3:07 p.m.

I hate... no, too soft of a word, I LOATHE Toyota's and VW's. I dislike Honda's built in the last 20 years. I refuse to own a Mopar or German car. I have nothing particularly against Mitsu, their lineup is just terrible. I miss Suzuki. I love my GM's and Korean cars. 

Yes. I'm Bob. I am a car racist. 

Apis Mellifera
Apis Mellifera HalfDork
4/12/18 3:14 p.m.

I enjoyed driving my 911 to work and picking up my kids at school today.  I agree it is a status symbol.  It symbolizes that I worked my way through college, got a job, paid my way out of debt, and then fulfilled a dream I had as a poor kid from Appalachia.  I can't comment on wasting potential, because my normal commute doesn't involve a race track.  I'm not sure how someone could see any sporty car on a public road and be annoyed because of "wasted potential".  It's nice to know strangers immediately hate me because of my car though.  I guess I've made it to an age where I just don't care much what others think, how they spend their time, or what they do with their money.  Life is short.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
4/12/18 3:18 p.m.

Harley owners are dentists. There I said it. 

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
4/12/18 3:23 p.m.

Whenever I see a lifted truck with street tires and the ass end lower than the front.....I can't help it....I think "Douchebag".

They are the replacement for the guys driving around in gussied-up Hummer H2s a few years ago---- which I still find repellant.   I'm sure there are good folks driving those trucks, but I'd be lying to say these things don't pop into my head as soon as I see them.  

Bob the REAL oil guy.
Bob the REAL oil guy. MegaDork
4/12/18 3:38 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine said:

A friend of mine talks about Harley riders going and playing "dress up"

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
4/12/18 3:47 p.m.

In reply to Joe Gearin :

what do you have against the carolina squat.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/12/18 4:12 p.m.
Bob the REAL oil guy. said:
Fueled by Caffeine said:

I recently read a comment about Harley Davidson being the largest cosplay company in the world & they don’t even know it. 

Suprf1y
Suprf1y PowerDork
4/12/18 4:38 p.m.
Stefan said:

Turns out she was a member of the same Corvette club back in the day and when she and my wife's aunt got together to talk about "old times" ?  Well.... there were mentions of key parties, lots of drinking, "topless" drives, etc.

Main reason I bought one.

I've always driven some type of high performance vehicle, but buy a Vette in your 50's and it's a midlife crisis

Grizz
Grizz UberDork
4/12/18 5:17 p.m.

I am the opposite of a car racist. Everyone makes or made something I would own at some point. 

Normally it's a turd and a half and I want it because of that. End result of being raised on Mitsubishis and Chrysler products, which sounds terrible until I point out that my driveway growing up was always filled with turbo cars and large v8s and then it sounds much much better.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
4/12/18 5:27 p.m.

Yeah-Miata drivers......

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/12/18 5:34 p.m.

Suprf1y
Suprf1y PowerDork
4/12/18 5:37 p.m.
Bob the REAL oil guy. said:
Fueled by Caffeine said:

I call them Pirates

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vSDpKHUZfKueDx6gchumXng4sRvo5goamqD0FYXW4LAnAkUQ7AKFpKz25qG9Cjps