1 2
Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/4/18 9:34 p.m.

As you probably know, with that subscription, you have access to both OSX and WIndows versions of the programs. That means that it's not a factor in your choice of platforms.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
12/4/18 9:58 p.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett :

I'd throw a couple hundred your way if you're done dealing with that mac and want it gone.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
12/4/18 10:14 p.m.
DrBoost said:

OK, that seems like a good deal i7??!!? We've had our iMac for years and I don't even think we have 250GB on it. Interesting. Thanks. Is there a way to search off-lease on newegg? That seems like a great way to go.

Yep, i7 or bust for me. Even my laptop has an i7. :-)

Convenient link for off-lease machines on newegg: https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Description=off%20lease%20desktop&Submit=ENE

Considering they have over 1000 different off lease machines it's important to use the filtering options on the left.

Keith, shame shame, you know better than to compare used vs new. There are plenty of used $480 Windows laptops that would hang just fine with your used $480 MacBook.

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
12/5/18 6:13 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

As you probably know, with that subscription, you have access to both OSX and WIndows versions of the programs. That means that it's not a factor in your choice of platforms.

Yup. Currently installed on a windows machine (work) and mac (home). 

scardeal
scardeal SuperDork
12/5/18 7:39 a.m.

Honestly, if the OP is up to it, I'd suggest throwing something together like the linked:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/fTH7Hh

It'd be an AMD Ryzen quad-core with integrated Vega graphics and a 1TB M.2 SSD. 

szeis4cookie
szeis4cookie Dork
12/5/18 8:04 a.m.
scardeal said:

Honestly, if the OP is up to it, I'd suggest throwing something together like the linked:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/fTH7Hh

It'd be an AMD Ryzen quad-core with integrated Vega graphics and a 1TB M.2 SSD. 

Were it me, I would add a video card and a spinning disk hard drive to this configuration (in addition to it needing a Windows license).  With those, I'd possibly also trade some SSD capacity for a higher spec CPU.  The good news is that there's enough budget left to do all of these things and come in under the original $750 budget.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/5/18 8:05 a.m.

My employer put a gun to my head and forced me, with red-hot pokers and threats to my children, to use a PC.  Something about IT requirements, blah blah blah.  Anyway, it frustrates me every, single, day. I go home and finish things on my Mac.

Most of the frustrations are from using a better option for so many years...if you never knew how things were supposed to work and that there was a better way, you might think a PC was OK.  I will say that I am impressed that I have only had to restart once a week so far, and only 3 keys fell off the keyboard and it only shocks you when you touch it on the left side.  (I'm kidding, I am contractually obligated to hate PCs. It's fine, and most programs are online anyway. ) 

One warning, they still come with a TON of programs you don't want and can't use without a subscription, so be warned that bloatware is still a PC thing. An Office 365 Subscription helps a lot.  

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/5/18 10:53 a.m.

To counter my disappointment in my personal 6-year old Mac mentioned above, I received a new Win10 work laptop this week & have spent the past 2-days trying to get it setup and configured.

The main software I use all day is SQL Server(SSMS for the tech geeks), and since I telecommute, I’m connected to our servers via VPN. The ONLY WAY I can get SSMS to connect is by opening a command prompt(as administrator) & using a “runas” script to log in. I can’t change the server I’m logging into, or else it fails. From spending most of yesterday researching it, it’s a common problem, but there’s no actual fix for it. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/5/18 10:59 a.m.
red_stapler said:

Much as I really like XKCD, this is spectacularly untrue.

scardeal
scardeal SuperDork
12/5/18 11:00 a.m.

In reply to szeis4cookie :

FWIW, I was being lazy (copied from another build), and I'd probably switch the case and PSU compared to what's on there, but I was leaving around $200 for a monitor.

I figured 1TB is plenty for most people, and it being all on a SSD is very nice.  If Premier could use the integrated Vega graphics, then I don't see any need for a separate video card.  The CPU I chose has 4 cores/8 threads, so it should be at least as fast as the i7 mentioned earlier, and more upgradable.

scardeal
scardeal SuperDork
12/5/18 11:07 a.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett :

That's Windows authentication for ya... 

And try out Azure Data Studio.  It doesn't fix the authentication issue, but it feels a lot lighter weight than SSMS.  

szeis4cookie
szeis4cookie Dork
12/5/18 12:23 p.m.
scardeal said:

In reply to szeis4cookie :

FWIW, I was being lazy (copied from another build), and I'd probably switch the case and PSU compared to what's on there, but I was leaving around $200 for a monitor.

I figured 1TB is plenty for most people, and it being all on a SSD is very nice.  If Premier could use the integrated Vega graphics, then I don't see any need for a separate video card.  The CPU I chose has 4 cores/8 threads, so it should be at least as fast as the i7 mentioned earlier, and more upgradable.

I totally missed the part about needing a monitor in that budget too. With that in mind I think I'd agree with your build.

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
12/5/18 1:36 p.m.

Well, I went home today and fixed it!  

The issue was the screen going blank after 30-60 seconds after startup, or sooner. Rebooted but reset the PRAM and all seems to be well. Maybe I'll sell it now while it's working and pit that money toward a newer machine. 

scardeal
scardeal SuperDork
12/5/18 1:48 p.m.

Reset the PRAM!  Woo!

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/5/18 1:52 p.m.

For anyone else wondering what PRAM is, it's just like BIOS/UEFI memory except it stores things that have no business being controlled by such a low-level device and it's only used on Apple computers. If you're wondering what's different about PRAM technology, that acronym is just a marketing term, technically it's plain ol' NVRAM.

Curtis
Curtis GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/9/18 11:33 a.m.

After asking this same question this spring, I ended up with a PC.  Apple hasn't really been updated and PC has caught up.  All of the recommendations I got for Apple said "buy a used one because the new ones suck" kinda advice.

bentwrench
bentwrench SuperDork
12/9/18 12:02 p.m.

I would say buy a MAC but apple has been really mean and nasty with proprietary hardware. They don't offer a SSD for older models and have broken protocol to make it difficult to upgrade an older model

I tried to upgrade to a SSD drive and Apple has co-opted the spec and added their own temp sensing crap and without it your fans will run at full speed. Had to do an external drive to stop the hurricane noise.

In my recent update to El Capitan stupid things happened like my internal SD card slot quit working.

And it is really frustrating if you want to move something from your phone to the computer. You should be able to do it with BlueTooth but you cant even do it via USB. You have to email it to yourself or pull the SD card and plug it into an external reader (because they turned off the internal reader). The only thing I've found that comes close to working is AirDriod but I have security concerns with that app (I am at least able to back up my photos with AirDroid).

I am also a Ham, most all of the better software or the only software is written for Windows. So I have 4 computers depending on what I am doing, I surf on the MAC, I use windows for Ham stuff, I have a Linux box for alternative stuff, and I have a windows laptop for travel and tuning EFI.

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
12/9/18 2:21 p.m.

I'm a PC fan boy but I game and like the ease of upgrades and parts. The only apple product we own is an iPad air2 i also game on so my opinion may be invalid

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/9/18 10:22 p.m.

Have you thaught of rolling your own?  Building a PC is simple. A little reading and on YouTube watching and you should be good to go. 

Hell I will give my son a $750 budget and see what he comes up with. 

750 with out a monitor and keyboard will get you a dam good machine. If you need a monitor keyboard and mouse and don’t bottom shelf stuff you are talking a $550 computer. 

I have built three systems in the last couple months. One was a killer gaming unit. One was a consumer grade work station and the last was a budget build for my sons friend.  That one was based on an i5 8700k. That box was fantastic.  When rolling your own a little bit of thaught to optimizing the components to work with each other can make a substantial difference in performance. 

Oh do you care about how noisy the machien is?  I use to not care but now that I have built a couple quiet machines I Always recommend it.  That constant noise wares on you. 

dean1484
12/9/18 10:27 p.m.

Oh if you have a microcenter near you there open box and referb units can be really good deals. I just can not bring my self to purchase computers for my self this way as every pre built pc I have ever opened I always find compromises that I just don’t want and the $$ to do it the way I want it is usually not much. Think less than $150 usually but you will easily make that up by assembling it your self. 

dean1484
12/9/18 10:29 p.m.

Thinking more about your build I think a AMD Based system is the way to go for you.  Gaming is all about clock speed and single core performance and Intel is the leader at this at the moment. AMD has nailed the multi cor processor market and this is generally what you want for most work related use stuff like video editing and rendering.  This will also give you more headroom for a better GPU. Since the GPU in not just for creating a image on the screen anymore but instead is actually used by the system to offload processing of certain graphics specific things (again think rendering) having a better GPU Thant you may think you need is usually very beneficial. .  

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QB6J1S9W39eFqNLCUuTUkmf25msZFu2noezGsao80NSj3weVOkl6rJycjlqFQjR3