Gearhead_42 HalfDork
6/4/08 10:27 a.m.

Or maybe more "The Stand"

Barricade the doors...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24712045/

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
6/4/08 10:58 a.m.

The Andromeda Strain was about a bug from outer space. The Stand was about a super flu bug created in a lab that just kept mutating.

That article acts like those anti-influenza drugs actually do something. I've never prescribed them. If you look at the literature, if taken immediately at the first sign of influenza, they will reduce your "I feel like E36 M3" days from 7 to 6 or something like that. And at a cost of mega bucks and with side effects that might include chronic heart failure, depression, suicide, right ear falling off (OK, I made that last one up), etc. Many times people go to a doctor and expect "something," so that's what they get.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 Reader
6/4/08 11:12 a.m.

Isn't it a elementary fact that viruses, bacteria, ect will at some point become resistant or build a stronger resistance to the anti-body?

I've never recieve the flu shot nor will I ever. I hear way to many horror tales of it. I stay healthy, diet and exercise and I rarely get sick. I did however catch a gnarly gastrointestinal virus last summer that I blame on Subway.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/4/08 11:22 a.m.

I caught ADHD from Hot Rod and Mad Magazine in the 1970s.

Everything will kill you ;)

Gearhead_42
Gearhead_42 HalfDork
6/4/08 11:43 a.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: The Andromeda Strain was about a bug from outer space. The Stand was about a super flu bug created in a lab that just kept mutating.

Perhaps more to my original point, both were about society brought low by the simplest of organisms, and all our advanced technology powerless to prevent their spread. The socio-political and/or religious implications of the stories are subjects for another time...

To your second point, I've been an unwilling host for one or more of these damn bugs for more than six weeks and I'm tired of it!

I blame soccer moms and hand sanitizers...

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
6/4/08 12:58 p.m.

You most likely don't have an influenza virus, but one of the summer virii like Parainfluenza, Respiratory Syncytial Virus or Adenovirus. So your dissin' po little Influenza is probably unwarranted. And how else are we gonna keep the Martians from invading?

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 Reader
6/4/08 1:51 p.m.

Just rub some tussin' on it and you'll be good to go in no time.

Gearhead_42
Gearhead_42 HalfDork
6/4/08 2:09 p.m.
DirtyBird222 wrote: Just rub some tussin' on it and you'll be good to go in no time.

If you only knew how funny that statement is!!! :lol:

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand New Reader
6/4/08 2:12 p.m.

the tussin, the tussin, the robotussin!

Woodyhfd
Woodyhfd GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/4/08 2:19 p.m.

I had an Allied Health professor in college who referred to prescriptions as "permission slips to get better".

Jack
Jack SuperDork
6/4/08 2:45 p.m.

Spray it with Windex.

Jack

John Brown
6/4/08 2:52 p.m.
Jack wrote: Spray it with Windex. Jack

Pansy.

Brake cleaner is the only way to clean every part/tool/wound period.

confuZion3
confuZion3 Reader
6/4/08 2:52 p.m.

Put leaves on it!

integraguy
integraguy New Reader
6/4/08 4:01 p.m.

I saw the original Andromeda Strain when it first showed in theatres and have seen the commercials for the new one. I always thought the "message" of the original was that going into space with the best intentions will have consequences....ones mankind is not prepared even adequately to face, tho the original makes it SEEM like we were vastly OVERprepared. In the original a whole town and many "outsiders" were killed by an organism that almost went unnoticed...TWICE. I consider this to be another of those "science is ultimately bad for all living things" type of movie.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut New Reader
6/4/08 4:19 p.m.
thatsnowinnebago wrote: the tussin, the tussin, the robotussin!

Saw him in concert twice. Puts on a good show!

The new Andromeda Strain miniseries was junk. I enjoyed the novel, so I tuned in. WTF, TV? Serious. Wikipedia it. Junk junk junk.

As for "super-bugs," I'll be getting worried when they develop a resistance to the good Dr. Daniels.

16vCorey
16vCorey Dork
6/5/08 8:53 a.m.

Personally I prefer Dr. Beam.

One time my right knee was all messed up. It had been hurting for a few weeks and was a bit swollen. Me being the stubborn (and cheap) bastard that I am, I never sought medical attention. Then one night I went to a friends birthday party, proceeded to drink my body weight in whiskey, and the next morning (or afternoon), my knee was fine, and has been ever since. True story.

John Brown
6/5/08 9:14 a.m.

On a similar note I hurt my neck in high school and occasionally it would flare up with excruciating pain. Over the course of a week about six years ago I proceeded to consume Crown Royal until the pain was gone... I woke up married with a different pain in the neck.

True story ;)

Jack
Jack SuperDork
6/5/08 10:24 a.m.
John Brown wrote:
Jack wrote: Spray it with Windex. Jack
Pansy. Brake cleaner is the only way to clean every part/tool/wound period.

The Windex reference was the solution to every wound or skin aliment on the movie, My Big Fat Greek Wedding.

But, I agree with agressive cleaning, then sealing the wound with a high solvent, Second Skin application that stings like hell.

jack

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand New Reader
6/5/08 2:58 p.m.

Super Glue works pretty well too if you wanna seal your cuts

fiat22turbo
fiat22turbo GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/5/08 6:07 p.m.

Yep, that was one of the things that SuperGlue was originally developed for I believe.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/5/08 7:52 p.m.

I thought it was invented to stick construction workers to I beams

fiat22turbo
fiat22turbo GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/6/08 11:40 a.m.

No, that's Krazy Glue

Lesley
Lesley Dork
6/6/08 4:43 p.m.

Toad salve guys!

I E36 M3 you not... it's in one of my sister's ole tyme 1800s remedies for horse upkeep. Take one toad, boil it, and wrap it to the affected leg (assuming it's a bowed tendon ailing you). Supposed to work great... except for the toad. You don't want to know what they did for colic.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jbmYlgQjaRpaJ2DkpiZimEWWguHgV4mI6TfgxnqRdmmsNpL996dBxdYBldVOqYw2