1 2 3
dankspeed
dankspeed Reader
6/9/14 2:22 p.m.

So where do I begin....

I have a problem with anger and sadly its almost always directed at my family. I've had this problem for most of my adult life and I need help. I seem to go from 0-60 fairly easy and never stop when I should. Now I don't get violent I just yell and scream and say hurtful things.I've been in counseling off and on since I was twelve. Mostly for depression but have addressed my anger only as a side issue.

Well yesterday after a pretty ugly argument my wife told me she's had enough and she wants a divorce. Can't say I blame her really. I've taken a beautiful, happy person and have subjected her to more E36 M3 than anyone deserves.

I've begged my way into what might be a second chance at to stay married but its not going to come easy. I need to find help controlling my temper and rage. I need to be successful or I lose the one I love more than anything.

I'm looking at what's available in my area in terms of group and one on one counseling but I can't help but wonder if there's more I can do.

I'm hoping others have had this problem and have had success over coming it.

If so please share.

I can't thank you enough. Dan

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
6/9/14 2:31 p.m.

I'm betting that there will be some good info forthcoming from the hive. Good luck, I wish you well, but don't have any advice for you myself.

ryanty22
ryanty22 HalfDork
6/9/14 2:34 p.m.

Definitely the group and single counseling depending on which works for you, Discuss bipolar disorder with your family Dr and therapist. Ive been where you are, most of my anger coming directly from depression. I am on a medicine regiment that works for me if I forget to take them for a couple days I can tell the clear difference. A couple little things that help me tremendously and may help you a bit, 1, video games, they can give you an outlet for the anger, I use the grand theft auto games for this purpose. 2.find someone to talk to thats been where you are mentally someone who is gonna listen and be constructive (I tend to avoid family for the most part because the love is strong enough that they can whitewash things and just try and make you feel better.) And 3 Boxing, mma, weights, running. a physical outlet for the excess energy and rage is a must. PM me if you want, been there, you aint alone in this by any stretch of the imagination. Ryan

Cone_Junkie
Cone_Junkie SuperDork
6/9/14 2:34 p.m.

I have the same problem. I ignore my dislike/annoyance of something until I snap, then go beyond what is necessary and hurt feelings.

Would be curious if there grassroots solutions to it too.

mtn
mtn UltimaDork
6/9/14 2:36 p.m.

More counseling, this time with your anger as the point of it? Possibly with your wife involved as well?

FWIW, I find the differences in humans amazing. My fiance is quick to anger, but it is a shallow and short lived anger. I have the worlds longest fuse ever, it really takes a LOT to set me off. But when I do, you should probably watch out. I find that I get over it by asking "What is th epoint of this? Does this rage help anything?" Usually the answer is no, and it lets me move on. I'll also go to the basement and shoot hockey pucks at the wall for a good 5 minutes. Take the anger out on a hard rubber disc, its nice.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/9/14 2:37 p.m.

I feel for you, brother. I've been down that road, with family, as well.

madmallard
madmallard HalfDork
6/9/14 2:40 p.m.

I'm with MTM on the spouse participation.

It can mean a world of perspective to her if she can see that you DO know what it is thats happening and arent dismissive of it.

Acknowledgement and taking responsibility for it can go a long way.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
6/9/14 2:42 p.m.
mtn wrote: My fiance is quick to anger, but it is a shallow and short lived anger.

That's me as well.

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/9/14 2:52 p.m.
mtn wrote: More counseling, this time with your anger as the point of it? Possibly with your wife involved as well? FWIW, I find the differences in humans amazing. My fiance is quick to anger, but it is a shallow and short lived anger. I have the worlds longest fuse ever, it really takes a LOT to set me off. But when I do, you should probably watch out. I find that I get over it by asking "What is th epoint of this? Does this rage help anything?" Usually the answer is no, and it lets me move on. I'll also go to the basement and shoot hockey pucks at the wall for a good 5 minutes. Take the anger out on a hard rubber disc, its nice.

I'll vote a ^this minus the hockey pucks (for me).. I've become a LOT more even-keeled by figuring out how to stop myself in time to ask myself "why am I getting upset over this?". That said, mixed with a history of depression you're going to probably have a harder time than I did.

Best of luck!

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy SuperDork
6/9/14 3:00 p.m.

best of luck.......

http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/prof_search.php

Also check with your insurance provider... see what the coverage is... and then check with the people you are looking into for help and how they fit into payment plans.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
6/9/14 3:16 p.m.

Dan:

This is really serious, but it sounds like you are finally ready for some change.

I've spent some time in counseling too, but none of it is worth anything until you are really ready to hear the truth, and make the hard changes.

dankspeed wrote: Now I don't get violent I just yell and scream and say hurtful things.

This sounds like a statement from a guy who has put a lot of effort into convincing himself that he's a "good guy".

Here's the truth... Yelling and screaming and saying hurtful things IS violence, and it lasts a LOT longer than a slap across the face. It can leave permanent scars. It's emotional abuse. My wife was raised in an emotionally abusive home, and 45 years later, we are STILL trying to recover.

dankspeed wrote: I've been in counseling off and on since I was twelve. Mostly for depression but have addressed my anger only as a side issue.

It's not a side issue. It's a primary emotional response. No counselor can help you by accident as a "side issue". You MUST deal with it head-on.

I want to share something else, but not online. You have a PM.

It's worth it- DON'T GIVE UP!

ryanty22
ryanty22 HalfDork
6/9/14 3:21 p.m.
SVreX wrote: Dan: This is really serious, but it sounds like you are finally ready for some change. I've spent some time in counseling too, but none of it is worth anything until you are really ready to hear the truth, and make the hard changes.
dankspeed wrote: Now I don't get violent I just yell and scream and say hurtful things.
This sounds like a statement from a guy who has put a lot of effort into convincing himself that he's a "good guy". Here's the truth... Yelling and screaming and saying hurtful things IS violence, and it lasts a LOT longer than a slap across the face. It can leave permanent scars. It's emotional abuse. My wife was raised in an emotionally abusive home, and 45 years later, we are STILL trying to recover.
dankspeed wrote: I've been in counseling off and on since I was twelve. Mostly for depression but have addressed my anger only as a side issue.
It's not a side issue. It's a primary emotional response. No counselor can help you by accident as a "side issue". You MUST deal with it head-on. I want to share something else, but not online. You have a PM. It's worth it- DON'T GIVE UP!

Good words

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
6/9/14 3:24 p.m.
z31maniac wrote:
mtn wrote: My fiance is quick to anger, but it is a shallow and short lived anger.
That's me as well.

Same here. I blow off a small amount of steam and I'm pretty much done. I rarely get very angry, but if I do it's typically frustration at an ongoing situation that I have no control over that still affects me. If this happens it's not pretty in the least. I'm aware of this and make it a point to consciously defuse the situation before I do pop, even if it means that I have to accept there's nothing I can do. That's hard as hell to learn to do.

ryanty22
ryanty22 HalfDork
6/9/14 3:32 p.m.

My anger was a slow burning fuse that would smolder, hold a grudge and finally explode when kept in and to myself. took a long time to figure out ways to let it out healthily and regularly so I didnt explode because I was honestly scared of myself at that point and didnt want to put loved ones in the way of it

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
6/9/14 3:43 p.m.

Dan:

I forgot about the email issues the board is having.

Please let me know if you did not get my PM.

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
6/9/14 3:50 p.m.

We both struggled to overcome this in the first half of our marriage. It came from different sources and manifested in different ways, but we both got too angry at each other.

My wife is full-blooded Italian, so her anger was quick to come and quick to go. I am English-Welsh, so my anger was slow to provoke but deep and long-lasting when it came. Unfortunately, in our marriage, we ended up with the worst of both worlds. We never actually went to counseling for it, but it took conscious effort on both of our parts to recognize it and work on it. Some was cooperative and some was individual. We tried to set some ground rules, and although that didn't always work, it was at least a start.

The big issue is preventing one or both parties from feeling overwhelmed - that is what leads to anger and lashing out. For my wife's part, she learned to try and focus on ONE major problem, rather than unloading with all the pent up issues she had been trying to repress. She also learned that if I left for a while it was to give myself a chance to respond appropriately, not just to shut her up. Those took effort on her part.

For my side, I learned to read the warning signs farther in advance and deal with the issue before the explosion came. I also learned that if I walked out for a while to collect myself, it was my obligation to reopen the discussion when I came back, rather than just trying to ignore it once the screaming had temporarily ended.

I also changed some parts of my personality, and so did she. As is common between men and women, I am more comfortable making decisions on the fly and she is happier when there is a plan with contingencies. So we both learned to meet in the middle. I began to recognize the real discomfort it causes her to not know what is going to happen, and she learned that spontaneity is not all bad. This alone reduced a lot of the friction.

The hard part is teaching yourself - and reminding yourself in the heat of battle - that it's OK if everything is not exactly the way you expected. There are a million ways that everyday scenarios don't match your conscious (or subconscious) plans. You also need to recognize that all the horrible consequences you are imagining will probably not come to pass. YES, whatever it is won't be the ideal. NO, whatever it has become is NOT ruined.

There's a certain level of stuff that you just have to learn to let go. This is at the heart of every counseling program, every marriage encounter, every relationship. It takes work and perseverance.

Right now you need to demonstrate to your wife, in no uncertain terms, that you're in the process of letting some of your issues go, and that instead, you are spending that energy on issues that are important to her. That's how you follow through on your promise to her. Explain that you don't have a fully-formulated plan yet. Explain what you have done, what you hope to gain from it, and how it will benefit your relationship with her. Ask her for the things she needs you to prioritize. If she can't be too specific, then work with what she gives you. If there's a setback, don't get defensive. Man, that was hard for me, but I'm getting better. Just say, "OK, I'm sorry that didn't do what I hoped. You said you had an issue with X, so here's what I thought changing to Y would do, and why. I guess Y's not quite right either. So let's talk about what might work instead."

I feel for you. can I ask, how long have you been married and how old are your kids? Because half the stress comes directly from the nonstop work of being a parent, particularly with kids under 10-12. Once we learned that, too, we started to recognize that having the perfect relationship was not required - what was important was sharing our common tasks and having a common goal. That reduced the friction a lot, too.

Good luck. We're here to offer any advice and support we can, any time, even if you just need to vent here rather than at her. I can only speak for myself, but don't hesitate to PM me if you think I can help at all.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
6/9/14 4:04 p.m.

Live a little closer to your own death. I recommend free-climbing.

The fact that the napkins aren't ironed when you get home for dinner won't bother you as much.

You will just be glad to be alive.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte SuperDork
6/9/14 4:15 p.m.

A wise man once told me I could not change another persons actions, all I could change was my REaction. This is very hard to apply but is a useful tool if you can remain rational. Recognize your triggers and de-escalate as soon as possible. A counselor can give you some useful tools, but YOU will have to use them effectively. Peace.

PubBurgers
PubBurgers Dork
6/9/14 5:27 p.m.

Having been through some heavy marriage stuff semi recently:

At this point you need to remember that you have to deal with your issues AND the relationship issues. Fixing one won't solve both problems at this point. It's gonna be a lot of hard and emotionally draining work but you'll both learn a lot about each other as things play out.

You'll have to take the initiative, she needs to know you want to fix things. Even if you think going to a marriage counselor sounds ridiculous DO IT!!! They WILL point out some things you'll totally miss and help put everything in perspective.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
6/9/14 5:52 p.m.

I just got aggravated at Men's Warehouse 45 minutes ago because my suit pants were hemmed into "floods". I need to take it down a notch.......

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UberDork
6/9/14 6:03 p.m.
Cone_Junkie wrote: I have the same problem. I ignore my dislike/annoyance of something until I snap, then go beyond what is necessary and hurt feelings. Would be curious if there grassroots solutions to it too.

You are me?

dankspeed
dankspeed Reader
6/9/14 6:10 p.m.

Hey guys thank you so much for all the comments. Ryan and Paul I got your PMs and replied back.

Some more info about my situation. My wife and I are in marriage counseling have been for about seven session. We've had some success and some set backs. Our next appointment is tomorrow.

I also see a counselor on my own for my depression. I also take lexapro for depression/anxiety. I feel I personally have made a lot of progress but have neglected focusing on the anger. It just seemed like there were bigger fish to fry.I wish now I would not have felt that way and focused more on it.

My wife an I don't have any children together although she does have a 12yo from her previous marriage(been together since he was 5).

Almost all of our fights are about how he should be disciplined. I'm the heavy she's a softy. She's also excluded me more and more as my temper has become a concern for her. She doesn't want me yelling at her son.

Being excluded has really been tuff for me to deal with and has made an already rough situation worse.

I feel I have some clarity on my faults and failures as a husband/father. Just hope its not too late. I'm also really hoping to be successful.

Thanks again Dan

peabody
peabody New Reader
6/9/14 7:39 p.m.

A wise man once told me "The words we say will forever ring in the ears of those that hear them". As my children adults now, 2 are still at home and trust me, much of what I got upset about was total crap/control issues. One of the things you can never get back is the spoken word, from one who has been there and regrets it.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
6/9/14 7:53 p.m.
Datsun310Guy wrote: I just got aggravated at Men's Warehouse 45 minutes ago because my suit pants were hemmed into "floods". I need to take it down a notch.......

A bad tailor job is something worth stringing a few hurtful words together over. I'm no metro but goddamn it when I pay extra for something to fit I wanna look like James berkeleying Bond in it or heads will roll. HEADS WILL ROLL!

Huh. I just got mad at someone else's tailor.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG Dork
6/9/14 7:53 p.m.

This book was recommended to me by a counselor:

Dr. Weisinger's Anger Workout Book

It had some pretty good suggestions and help.

Seeking help is always wise.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
izWzMhewR91LHOeD0t8qHZzdzU6GxMl70izxtQTCQxlRSxnyvCubjcBH44cPm99H