1 2 3 4
EdenPrime
EdenPrime New Reader
10/8/11 9:36 p.m.

How do you guys deal with Animosity? I have a Celica and i'm on a Celica forum and people are so hurtfully disrespectful and degrading if they don't like your car there.

And i don't know about you guys, but i could have 150 compliments and not think much of it, but ONE person talks sh*t about my car and i'm racked. Anyways, do you guys get much "hate?" and if so, how do you deal with it? Cause i'm hated on often.

Graefin10
Graefin10 HalfDork
10/8/11 9:44 p.m.
EdenPrime wrote: How do you guys deal with Animosity? I have a Celica and i'm on a Celica forum and people are so hurtfully disrespectful and degrading if they don't like your car there. And i don't know about you guys, but i could have 150 compliments and not think much of it, but ONE person talks sh*t about my car and i'm racked. Anyways, do you guys get much "hate?" and if so, how do you deal with it? Cause i'm hated on often.

You'll find haters no mater where you go. The best thing to do is know yourself, know where you stand, ignore the haters and let them hate all they want to. What ever you do don't get into an online back and forth bickering with them. That just feeds their need to feel superior.

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
10/8/11 9:49 p.m.

Stick to GRM. It is not like the other places.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
10/8/11 9:52 p.m.

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade Dork
10/8/11 10:01 p.m.

People with hate like that have problems, simply.

EdenPrime
EdenPrime New Reader
10/8/11 10:02 p.m.

In reply to jrw1621:

This place does seem to be much more docile. You guys have been very respectful, and i know my car is likely not your guys' style either, but i don't expect even a fraction of the disrespect and whatnot that i get from (NewCelica.org).

racerfink
racerfink Dork
10/8/11 10:03 p.m.

It boils down a lot more to annonimity. If people had to sign their name to a post they wrote, there would be a lot less of what you describe going on.

EdenPrime
EdenPrime New Reader
10/8/11 10:09 p.m.

Yeah i think you're right.

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon Reader
10/8/11 10:24 p.m.

This is the only place I go to for nearly anything automotive. Really. I usually read Jalopnik, but the cool stuff there usually finds it's way here.

People know everything automotive here. Everything.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 Dork
10/8/11 10:25 p.m.

Another aspect is they are convincing themselves that theirs is better than yours.

Here we like them all.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
10/8/11 10:31 p.m.
jrw1621 wrote: Stick to GRM. It is not like the other places.

+1

EdenPrime
EdenPrime New Reader
10/8/11 10:32 p.m.

@ BoostedBrandon, The only reason i stay on that site is because they are a good resource for parts and advice since they only specialize on my particular car. I know people here are knowledgeable, and when i get my 944 Turbo this is where i'll turn but that damn forum is just so useful.

@wlkelley3, And i admire how open-minded you guys are. It'd be cool if there were like, some GRM meet-ups/parties/track-events in the Twin Cities or at Brainerd International Raceway.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG HalfDork
10/8/11 10:39 p.m.

My neighbour hates me because I don't trim my cedars the way he wants them trimmed. That's it? That's all it took to hate me? I could have been plucking a live chicken in a circle of thirteen candles, and sacrificing it to some cloven-hoofed demi-god in my back yard, whilst reciting gutteral incantations of Latin verse, but no - it's the way I trim my cedars.

Some people need to get out more. Don't be one of them.

EdenPrime
EdenPrime New Reader
10/8/11 10:46 p.m.

In reply to SkinnyG:

I gotcha. And ya know even in your situation-- it's just one guy. This is a whole community of people saying, "Your car is gay," "Your car is rice," blah blah blah. When it's just a person here or there it's easy to shrug off, but how do so many D-bags gather and hate on anyone who's different or anyone they don't mesh with in an automotive-style kind of way?

donalson
donalson SuperDork
10/8/11 11:11 p.m.

...your car... you like it... thats whats important... personally... I think it looks pretty good but it's not what i'd do (based on what the guys here would say i'd rip it apart, buy a bunch of parts... then give up and sell it ;)

I personally built/(am building) someone no one else would... because I wanted to :)... some people like it... others won't... I will :)

fasted58
fasted58 SuperDork
10/8/11 11:22 p.m.

One dickhead talkin' E36 M3 outta 150.. not too shabby

1 in 10 you might have an issue, but who really cares

berkeley 'em anyway

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
10/8/11 11:40 p.m.
EdenPrime wrote: How do you guys deal with Animosity? I have a Celica and i'm on a Celica forum and people are so hurtfully disrespectful and degrading if they don't like your car there. And i don't know about you guys, but i could have 150 compliments and not think much of it, but ONE person talks sh*t about my car and i'm racked. Anyways, do you guys get much "hate?" and if so, how do you deal with it? Cause i'm hated on often.

Welcome to Celica forums. Barring AllTrac.net (And maybe the 7th gen forums), a group of people who drive Celicas because they cant afford an AllTrac or MR2, and like to take that self-loathing on everyone else around them. They don't love their cars, they settled for them. Every try to get a group buy together for a real performance part with those guys? It's laughable.

Just stay here lol.

Fit_Is_Slo
Fit_Is_Slo Reader
10/8/11 11:43 p.m.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid Dork
10/8/11 11:47 p.m.

That's one reason I like this forum. The lover/hater ratio definitely leans toward the lover side and I think that has to do with the fact that this is not a one make forum and there is a lot of experience here.

I don't know if other people have experienced this like I have, but it seems like on the One Model/One Make forums there are a lot of haters and if you want to do something different, they really hate on you.

My best example is the reason I stopped being on the Crown Vic forum.

I have a '86 2-Door Crown Vic. I asked if anyone had swapped in a 4.6L Mod motor into a Box yet because I wanted to drop a 32 valve Cobra 4.6L mated to a Lincoln Mark VIII trans with a later model P71 rear end. Wanted to do steel wheels painted the same Oxford White as the rest of the car with dog dish P.I. hubcaps. Wanted to also do and Air Ride Technologies suspension so I could drop it to the ground when I park it.

I got flamed hard when I asked about the motor swap and told the intentions of the car. Not one or two haters, about 2 dozen. Some people said some harsh stuff, some just tried to sway me away from what I wanted to do. I realized I was on the wrong forum.

Since I've been on here I've seen a lot crazier ideas and a lot more subtle ideas that have gotten more support than on any single make forum.

Fit_Is_Slo
Fit_Is_Slo Reader
10/8/11 11:48 p.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: That's one reason I like this forum. The lover/hater ratio definitely leans toward the lover side and I think that has to do with the fact that this is not a one make forum and there is a lot of experience here. I don't know if other people have experienced this like I have, but it seems like on the One Model/One Make forums there are a lot of haters and if you want to do something different, they really hate on you. My best example is the reason I stopped being on the Crown Vic forum. I have a '86 2-Door Crown Vic. I asked if anyone had swapped in a 4.6L Mod motor into a Box yet because I wanted to drop a 32 valve Cobra 4.6L mated to a Lincoln Mark VIII trans with a later model P71 rear end. Wanted to do steel wheels painted the same Oxford White as the rest of the car with dog dish P.I. hubcaps. Wanted to also do and Air Ride Technologies suspension so I could drop it to the ground when I park it. I got flamed hard when I asked about the motor swap and told the intentions of the car. Not one or two haters, about 2 dozen. Some people said some harsh stuff, some just tried to sway me away from what I wanted to do. I realized I was on the wrong forum. Since I've been on here I've seen a lot crazier ideas and a lot more subtle ideas that have gotten more support than on any single make forum.

Thats stupid bra!

You need a powerstroke! :D

Fit_Is_Slo
Fit_Is_Slo Reader
10/8/11 11:48 p.m.

EdenPrime
EdenPrime New Reader
10/9/11 12:02 a.m.

Thanks guys, you've very insightful. Your advice comes from knowledge and tolerance. The hate on the Celica site is just blind barking, really. You're much more convincing. I really appreciate all your responses.

Thanks a lot.

And my car is a work in progress and is not finished either aesthetically or performance-wise, so hopefully when it's all finished it'll appeal to more people either way. :)

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
10/9/11 7:27 a.m.

It's just a car. Geez.

It's not really hate- it's disrespect, immaturity, rebelliousness, maliciousness, anger, stupidity, etc.

But regardless, you really gotta let it run off your back.

Their comments say much more about their lack of character and integrity then about your car or you.

In the immortal words of Ron White, "You cain't fix stoopid!"

And maybe you should avoid going to that site. Just a thought...

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/9/11 9:07 a.m.

I know the feeling. In the middle of the bodykit craze back in the 90s.. I had a Hyundai Tiburon. Aside from the wheels and a slightly lowered stance..it looked bone-stock on the outside. Not even the factory wing.

People either loved it or hated it. Learn to ignore the haters.. chances are, they actually love your car and are just jealous

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 Dork
10/9/11 9:35 a.m.
Fit_Is_Slo wrote:

Does that thing have wheelie bars, is it dragging the rear bumper, or is she just that good at modulating the throttle?

And I believe that the GRM forum has the nicest bunch of jerks on the internet!

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0ePvwmJREquO059R21KGapLJfbyOp4OwzSt17yIa78epg8QWJFcAVGVrDugvzKSR