1 2
JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
9/18/16 4:50 p.m.

I too would be excited about the trip. The best reward in this long trip will be the amazing Volvo Seats.
If your gonna try 12+ hours in one day, there are few better places to be seated.

I see the Volvo is in New Jersey. Is that closer to NYC or closer to Philly?

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
9/18/16 7:01 p.m.

20 mins from Newark Airport, so closer to NY.

GladlyTheCrossEyedBear
GladlyTheCrossEyedBear GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/20/16 6:45 p.m.

20 minutes from Newark and 12 hours from Fenton, MI....I'll take the 12 hours please. Actually this car set my personal best time to East Lansing from Joisey (exit 148): 9 hours 18 minutes.

I'm already trying to figure out how I can help DrBoost with the challenge build from long distance. I'm super happy it's going to him and staying in the GRM family. I don't post a lot, but I'm here everyday, routine' for build thread heroes, chuckling at the post whores on the hot link thread, commiserating with the rants. All hale this crazy bunch!

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
9/24/16 5:26 a.m.

Today's the day!
Good luck Doc.

I saw your comment in another thread and I thought to pull this to the top.

GladlyTheCrossEyedBear
9/24/16 1:17 p.m.

DrBoost got a good start this morning. Loaded him up with a bunch of Volvo stuff and tid-bits that should help the challenge budget. The car has made the Michigan run a bunch of times, so he should be good...at least I haven't heard any anguished cries from Pennsylvania yet.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
9/24/16 8:10 p.m.

No word from the Good Dr.
I'll take that as a good sign.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy PowerDork
9/24/16 8:29 p.m.

I met up with him for a short pit stop in Easton PA, we have a mutual friend there. We gave him some tips on driving fast in PA. (Basically, you can drive pretty fast on the interstate, but don't get greedy). I guess that was only an hour & a half into the trip. He was planning to drive all the way back to the mitten today, so if all went well he should be home 10:30/11:00.

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 SuperDork
9/25/16 4:40 p.m.

Has anyone heard from the good Dr.?

GladlyTheCrossEyedBear
9/25/16 4:59 p.m.

He is home and plotting what to do with the beastie. Uneventful trip by all accounts. I'm making popcorn and waiting for the build thread.

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 SuperDork
9/25/16 9:06 p.m.

Excellent news!

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
9/25/16 9:12 p.m.

I love it when a plan comes together.

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
9/25/16 9:32 p.m.

I've been busy with other stuff, but I'll post. Uneventful trip. The seats are comfy. The only seats that rival them, and they might even be a bit better, were the ones in my W124 Benz. But the Volvo has something the benz (diesel) didn't. Horsepower. That can make a HUGE difference.
It was a long trip. I went to bed 11 PM Friday and woke up at 2:30 Saturday morning. Left for the airport about 3:30. Left NJ after having breakfast with GladlyTheCrossEyedBear and met up with HappyAndy. Left there about 1PM I think. I stopped for two meals and one fill-up and got home at 12:45 AM. Then back up and at 'em at 7 this morning.
I'm too old for this. I'll never do it again. Or at least not until another car catches my eye haha. I wasn't even looking when I saw this one!
Gladly (Michael) is a great guy and was a pleasure to deal with. This is my 5th or 6th fly and drive and, while I've never had a problem really, this was the smoothest.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy PowerDork
9/25/16 9:53 p.m.

In reply to DrBoost:

So, would ride shotgun with me when I do a fly & drive for some insensible piece of eurotrash like an Alfa or Jag? I promise that won't go uneventfully.

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
9/26/16 5:16 a.m.
HappyAndy wrote: In reply to DrBoost: So, would ride shotgun with me when I do a fly & drive for some insensible piece of eurotrash like an Alfa or Jag? I promise that won't go uneventfully.

You don't have to ask twice!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ta7XFXCMJEpmqnYp6uSMeu3VJHnzKCAnuvr5CsWIkjuIIY6AD0L8Q09MP6sTltai