1 2
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter)
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/10/20 1:58 p.m.

Mail order, that is. I don't think there is a half decent music store with a good selection of strings within my usual shopping radius and if there is, I haven't found it yet. Maybe I should go look...

Anyway, any good recommendations for mail order purveyors of (electric) guitar strings other than the 'zon and Guitar Center? One of my guitars needs double ball end strings as it's a headless design, hence the need for a somewhat bigger selection than a lot of stores happen to have in stock.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
12/10/20 2:56 p.m.

Really super fast reading of the title as I scrolled by had me seeing "Air guitar strings..."

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
12/10/20 3:17 p.m.

I'm not usually smart enough to combine items to save on shipping, so Amazon.   I'd rather give my money to somebody more focused, like Sweetwater, but I doubt the cost would be competitive given free Prime Shipping.

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) UberDork
12/10/20 3:24 p.m.

When I was practicing every day and gigging almost every weekend I would buy strings by the case from musiciansfriend or sweetwater. Usually a couple cases at a time because I was using a couple different gauges for different tunings. EB strings are sealed quite well and didn't seem to have too short of a shelf life. Of course, I don't buy nearly as many strings these days. 

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/10/20 3:29 p.m.

Whenever I see a really good sale I'll buy a bundle and be good for a few years.

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/10/20 5:29 p.m.

Sweetwater rocks - every musician should make a pilgrimage there. I'd suggest trying to make it to Gearfest(usually in June) post-pandemic. 

I've also used JustStrings.com & been happy with them. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
12/10/20 5:34 p.m.

I just went to Guitar Center yesterday to buy a few sets. It was an excuse to drop the top on the Miata and get out of the house for a bit.

3 sets of Ernie Ball strings for $18.98 (tax included).

But usually buy from Sweetwater when ordering online.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
12/10/20 8:37 p.m.

For a while, it was Amazon, but I found that Musician's Friend was cheaper, so I started getting them through them instead. Last ones I got were some of their cheap Musician's Gear strings, and they are god-awful! They sound dead and feel terrible. That was during the beginning of the pandemic and all that was available. It's a night and day difference between those things a regular set of D'addarios. 

Azryael
Azryael Reader
12/10/20 8:56 p.m.

I usually order from Sweetwater as well. This reminds me, I need to order a set of flatwounds to try on my bass.

For the longest time, I ran Gibson Brite Wires (in 9's) across all of my guitars, but found them going dull rather quickly, so I've since switched back to Ernie Ball. I run regular slinkys (10s) on my LTDs, and my Dean V, and Super Slinky (9s) on my strats and Les Paul. The Ibanez Jems use whatever D'Addarios that Steve Vai said they should come with, and I've no idea what's on that Schecter 8-string that's just been too pretty for me to ever pick up and play.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/10/20 9:34 p.m.

In reply to Azryael :

Flatwounds are cool. And last forever. 

TheRyGuy
TheRyGuy New Reader
12/10/20 11:07 p.m.

I've used stringjoy.com a few times. They make there own strings and will make you a custom set if you would like. That's all that company does, is make guitar strings. 

Definitely agree that Sweetwater should be a pilgrimage for any musician. On top of that, they have bar none the best customer service I've ever experienced as well.

Azryael
Azryael Reader
12/10/20 11:12 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

I've heard they sound flatter/more mellow compared to round wounds, but that's kinda what I'd want from a bass. I've done some listening via the ol' YouTube, and my ears can perceive a difference, and there seems to be a certain warmth to a flatwounds, like playing through a tube amp versus solid state.

12/11/20 5:33 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

In reply to Azryael :

Flatwounds are cool. And last forever. 

I never, ever, cared for flatwounds & have never had them on a bass. I've decided I want to try a set on my 6-string though, and possibly the fretless too. 

BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter)
BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
12/11/20 6:25 a.m.

I don’t think I’ve ever played a fretless that didn’t have flatwounds. I thought it was some sort of requirement, ha.

I usually use JustStrings.com. They have pretty much everything and most places don’t carry the nickel wounds I use on one of my acoustics.

Azryael
Azryael Reader
12/11/20 10:13 a.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) :

I'd never thought about flatwounds on a standard guitar, I always thought of them as a bass thing.

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) UberDork
12/11/20 10:49 a.m.

In reply to Azryael :

A buddy has them on an old semi-hollow that he uses for jazz purposes. Because he's better than me. Or so he acts. wink

David S. Wallens
12/11/20 11:01 a.m.

In reply to Azryael :

It is a different sound, and maybe flatter/mellow is the right term. Several of my basses have them--some came that way, some I converted. I'm also playing through a tube amp (an old Univox). I figure if it works for Carol Kaye....

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
12/11/20 11:09 a.m.
Azryael said:

In reply to Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) :

I'd never thought about flatwounds on a standard guitar, I always thought of them as a bass thing.

Same here. 

It had been awhile since I looked at guitar strings, so it's interesting to see some of the new materials being used. Since high school when I played guitar, I've always used Ernie Ball, Skinny Top Heavy Bottom. Now there is Beefy Bottom, Mammoth Bottom, Cobalt strings, all kinds of options. 

Azryael
Azryael Reader
12/11/20 11:14 a.m.

You know, I've been dying to pick up a hollow-body, preferably a Gretsch, one of those Electromatics with the Bigsby. Maybe when the first check comes in for this website work... but I was gonna get a multiprocess welder.

Must. Prioritize.

I've not tried my base through my Peavy Classic 30, but I just might. I've got a Fender Rumble 200 solid-state amp that I also love. Would love a cab someday, but that'll come at the new house when I have a larger home office.

I think I will order up a set or three of flatwounds and put them on the Schecter bass, after I fix the damn grounding issue. The solder work looks like a monkey did the job.

David S. Wallens
12/13/20 6:41 p.m.

In reply to Azryael :

See how you like the flatwounds. First time I tried them--flats on a Univox Hi-Flyer--they felt like plastic to me. It was a weird feel.

The next day, after thinking about it, I went back and bought that guitar. It's sitting here next to me, still wearing the same set of strings. Totally love it. 

Azryael
Azryael Reader
12/14/20 1:18 a.m.

Definitely plan to, haven't got around to ordering anything yet! Perhaps last minute xmas gift idea since family keeps asking what I'd like...

I was watching a guy on YouTube who was actually using tapewound, but I think that's going a little too far.

swintyulna
swintyulna New Reader
12/14/20 2:02 a.m.

Purchased mine from juststrings.com too, and I'm using flatwounds too that I've bought there. Still loving it till now.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
12/14/20 3:55 p.m.

You know, I've never tried flatwounds on any of my basses. Not sure one of them would sound right with them. I've always been a round wound guy. Might have to try a set on something.

Gimp (Forum Supporter)
Gimp (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/15/20 8:30 a.m.

The flatwounds for two of my basses had to come from Amazon, as the local shop didn't have the gauge I needed.  Everything else comes from the non-franchised, local store, whenever possible.

Tony Sestito said:

You know, I've never tried flatwounds on any of my basses. Not sure one of them would sound right with them. I've always been a round wound guy. Might have to try a set on something.

I use flats for my surf band, but I play with a pick.  I'm bascially trying to steal the Joe Jackson bass sound, but it's also good for gigs that I would have used my upright bass on.

12/15/20 9:40 a.m.
Tony Sestito said:

I've always had the perception of flats sounding dead on electric basses, but I've heard some examples that had surprising clarity...none that I can remember right now though. But that's one reason I want to try them. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0H8PMGdw1RzJ3gmvfKeo7o049lxxoQPbOXw2XBzLGsykZvA6nXdv1B8BEPLjAvtX