ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
1/11/17 3:40 p.m.

I'm looking at an'07. Bad trans or Good trans? I see random comments on the internet (including GRM) that it changed to the Ridgeline transmission in '07. But nothing substantial.

Fluid changes are obviously a great preventative maintenance, but anything else?

Add a trans cooler? Special fluids? Modified airflow? Etc?

Not planning on towing anything other than a Utility trailer.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
1/11/17 3:52 p.m.

For Honda's in general, it is very important to use only Honda ATF.

That's all I got.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/11/17 4:39 p.m.

How many miles on it? Do you know service history?

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/11/17 4:48 p.m.

'07 is supposed to be the golden year -- they finally fixed it before they broke it again in 2008.

We have 100K on our '07, flushed the tranny fluid every 30K and have had zero problems with it. Now I just need to sell it...

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
1/11/17 6:52 p.m.
OHSCrifle wrote: How many miles on it? Do you know service history?

I can get the entire history for it, but I don't have it in front of me. It appears to be very well maintained.

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 Dork
1/12/17 12:05 p.m.

Our 06 has 185k and regular changes. Knocking on wood may be contributing.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/12/17 12:15 p.m.

Our '05 has around 128k with regular transmission fluid changes. A huge amount of that is in-town driving.

From what I read on Odyclub in terms of how good the transmissions were:

99-04 < 05 < 07-09

I haven't looked into model year distinctions from '07 and up. I have two friends with '99-04s who haven't had any transmission issues, as well. The rule of thumb is that if you're towing, you should absolutely have a transmission cooler, and preferably and aftermarket one.

jmthunderbirdturbo
jmthunderbirdturbo HalfDork
1/13/17 5:18 a.m.

we have an 06. its been stellar, trans included. +1 on using Honda ATF only. also, Honda power steering fluid, too. otherwise it will whine, and leak.

-J0N

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/13/17 5:42 a.m.

I think the internet stories are overblown if you don't abuse the vehicle, you don't tow, and you actually change the trans fluid.

I had an 04 that we bought new. I put on a trans cooler as a precaution at 100k after reading about susceptibility to failure. Changed trans oil per service manual.

It went 180k, still ran great when sold. All it required in ten years was timing belt, battery and some engine mounts.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dw2Cjgsbe6Y8gHvYNyQQ0tbDFBmLZhYVrfieTs990b8eCyAHkZDA7682YC10CIhu