1 2
mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
10/11/14 3:52 p.m.

I know, I'm throwing wide on this one, but here's the scenario. I am considering development of a nutritional product aimed at gamers, with a healthy bent on it. As it sits if you're a gamer its automatically assumed all you want is dew and doritos. I want something more.... Complete if you will. Plus it won't get cheez dust on my Xbox controller. I figure if I spin it as developed in conjunction with real military dudes, and aim it at the call of battlefield kids, there is money to be made. My question is this- assuming you were in the field on an extended op, (think marathon gaming) what sort t of snack pack type item would be ideal to carry? I'm thinking nitrate free jerky and stuff, but am open to other ideas. Its sort of a spitball at the moment.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
10/11/14 4:04 p.m.

Tofurkey.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/11/14 4:05 p.m.

One thing to consider is that gamers have access to refrigerators and microwaves.

I've long felt that microwavable burritos are the perfect food. I wonder if you could just get one of the major players to repackage their product as XXXTREME GAMER FUEL or some silliness.

nepa03focus
nepa03focus HalfDork
10/11/14 4:11 p.m.

In reply to knurled, you are right of course about the fridge and microwaves, but then you have to you know get up. And it's so far

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
10/11/14 4:12 p.m.

Jerky. Try Cattaneo Brothers- the best jerky In The World. What about some green tea drink that tastes good. Make some "meal pack" that you can microwave but tastes good- a burrito would be perfect if you can get good stuff in it. One handed meal- or develop a burrito holder so it's a no-handed snack. I imagine a metal stand- like a music stand but with two "cup holders". One to place the burrito in vertically, and the other for a drink with a straw. Make it so it would cantilever over the couch so a gamer wouldn't have to move to bite, and you've got a winner. Brand it "Monster", or better yet "Zombie Killer Chow"

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
10/11/14 4:12 p.m.

I am currently fueled by Racer5 IPA, so stand by for more great ideas.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp UberDork
10/11/14 4:16 p.m.

You would be looking basically at stuff like Jerky, peanut butter, and bars like CLIF bars. I actually keep Jerky and CLIF bars in both my pack for when I am out for extended treks and in my desk for long days in front of the computer.

Mitchell
Mitchell UltraDork
10/11/14 4:22 p.m.

The chocolate mint CLIF bars have caffeine in them! Because of this fact, I ate them for a few months straight while in school and now can't even stomach the thought of eating another one. Quite good though.

Knurled
10/11/14 4:31 p.m.
nepa03focus wrote: In reply to knurled, you are right of course about the fridge and microwaves, but then you have to you know get up. And it's so far

Ugh, you make a very good point.

I know! A heating basket that sits on the XBox! Cool your machine and heat your food at the same time! When your framerate drops down to normal, that means the food is done.

(okay, yes I know, not helpful.)

Silliness aside, plus one on the Clif bars. Not so much on the jerky. A diet of soda and chips tends to leave one with less than excellent teeth.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
10/11/14 6:22 p.m.

I figured it would be something like this. Here's what I know. If I'm gaming, getting up to go to the microwave is a pain in the ass. I know I love me some microwave burritos, but them are greasy and give me the chits, not a good thing at hour five of no fly zone, or whatever. Too much caffeine gives me the jitters, and makes twitch aiming suck. Too much beer and I hit on the wife while playing GTA. So I'm looking at a long burn fuel that would be clean on both the hands and stomach, and a drink to keep you up but smooth and focused. Think war pack.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
10/11/14 6:29 p.m.

MREs come with a tiny 1/2" tall bottle of Tabasco.

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
10/11/14 6:54 p.m.

just have your mom bring you something from the kitchen.. also, get your mom to bring you a bucket when you have to go potty... worked for Cartman, it can work for you, too.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp UberDork
10/11/14 7:10 p.m.

My go to on the Clif bars is the Sierra Trail bars. They are basically trail mix in a bar. A single bar has been enough to keep me going up in the mountains tracking elk (along with plenty of water of course). I have stashes of them everywhere. They are in packs, my desks both at work and home and a box in the pantry at home.

If you are hell bent on going with the "military" angle you maybe disappointed. Most military guys in the field carry stripped down MREs. Not exactly clean and friendly. The type of stuff you would want to look at are things like what snipers pack. They look for highest energy in the smallest package. They also go with stuff that does not have to be heated up. Again a small jar (or many tubes) of peanut butter is normally a main stay. Protein bars like power bars and clif bars, hard candies and dried fruits and jerky make up the rest. The whole idea is stable, lightweight and ready to eat.

Your ideal option would be some sort of protein bar that has a hit of caffeine in it. Make it so the packaging peels open in a way that it can lay out on the desk easy so you can put it down quickly and have a clean spot to lay it. Avoid making it to sticky like some of the bars and you will be just fine. Heck you can even make a "gamer MRE" pack by having your meal bar, some hard candies and an instant powdered drink mix.

Knurled
10/11/14 7:28 p.m.
mndsm wrote: So I'm looking at a long burn fuel that would be clean on both the hands and stomach, and a drink to keep you up but smooth and focused. Think war pack.

Bloody Marys.

(I am serious. Bloody Marys are my go-to beverage/nutrition for deathmatching. The Ballmer Peak is a real thing)

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
10/11/14 7:40 p.m.
rebelgtp wrote: My go to on the Clif bars is the Sierra Trail bars. They are basically trail mix in a bar. A single bar has been enough to keep me going up in the mountains tracking elk (along with plenty of water of course). I have stashes of them everywhere. They are in packs, my desks both at work and home and a box in the pantry at home. If you are hell bent on going with the "military" angle you maybe disappointed. Most military guys in the field carry stripped down MREs. Not exactly clean and friendly. The type of stuff you would want to look at are things like what snipers pack. They look for highest energy in the smallest package. They also go with stuff that does not have to be heated up. Again a small jar (or many tubes) of peanut butter is normally a main stay. Protein bars like power bars and clif bars, hard candies and dried fruits and jerky make up the rest. The whole idea is stable, lightweight and ready to eat. Your ideal option would be some sort of protein bar that has a hit of caffeine in it. Make it so the packaging peels open in a way that it can lay out on the desk easy so you can put it down quickly and have a clean spot to lay it. Avoid making it to sticky like some of the bars and you will be just fine. Heck you can even make a "gamer MRE" pack by having your meal bar, some hard candies and an instant powdered drink mix.

You've hit the nail on the head. Snipers is what I really want.

Amd I am bent on the military for a reason. My target market isn't serious gamers. Those dudes already have it figured out. MLG and stuff? Not my demo. My demo is the wanna be mil Sim whore that will buy anything to give him an edge. The nutrition vpart nets the parents, the army stuff nets the goobers. The one whose parents will in fact, bring him powder donut pancake surprise. Eventually people figure out my stuff I s good and buy in, but the lowest common denominator is the money maker.

Ditchdigger
Ditchdigger UltraDork
10/11/14 8:08 p.m.

Something tells me the nutritional needs of gamers are far different than active military folk. Sitting on ones ass for hours at a time should probably require significantly fewer calories

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
10/11/14 8:25 p.m.

I'm not really your demographic, but I like nuts. Mix together mostly unsalted almonds, some salted almonds, and a few dark chocolate covered almonds. Easy to pack, maybe in a small tube like pringles only smaller. Would make nuts or trail mix easy to shovel in and set down.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
10/11/14 8:57 p.m.
1988RedT2 wrote: Tofurkey.

Tofurkeyducken

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UltraDork
10/11/14 10:37 p.m.

I have a great idea but it's mine and trying to market it myself. Different demo.

You are looking at having something that provides energy that is also healthy. You're going to need caffeine. I'm thinking something like green tea ginger ale that isn't made with corn syrup and other crap. Along with some sort of trail mix. I like to munch on things while gaming, bars just go to fast. Or you could have a drink, bar, and mix.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
10/11/14 10:54 p.m.
Ditchdigger wrote: Something tells me the nutritional needs of gamers are far different than active military folk. Sitting on ones ass for hours at a time should probably require significantly fewer calories

I know that, and you know that, but the 14 year old buying it doesn't. To him real sniper work is just as intense and rigorous as battlefield of honor Nazi kill 7.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
10/11/14 10:56 p.m.
DirtyBird222 wrote: I have a great idea but it's mine and trying to market it myself. Different demo. You are looking at having something that provides energy that is also healthy. You're going to need caffeine. I'm thinking something like green tea ginger ale that isn't made with corn syrup and other crap. Along with some sort of trail mix. I like to munch on things while gaming, bars just go to fast. Or you could have a drink, bar, and mix.

No worries, this is mostly empty thought that will go with the next shiny object. The ginger ale thing is good though and I make a mean ginger ale.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/12/14 6:46 a.m.

So, you want a high calorie product for people who are sitting on their asses not burning any calories, right?

Your real money maker will be an extreme weight loss program for fat couch potato military wannabes.

THEN, you can start playing both sides. You get 'em fat, then you shrink 'em down. Rinse, repeat.

Kinda like Dr. Seuss's Sneetches.

"The fat-bellied gamers had bellies with stars, the lean-belled gamers had none upon thars"

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
10/12/14 7:40 a.m.

Yeah, I was thinking about the 'zero activity' and 'Cliff bar' thing. Those Cliff Bars say they are 250 calories, but they act like 500 if you're trying to burn one off. So, combine this high energy bar with a military type game of PT where they have to exercise before the "mission" and you'll have it on both ends.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
10/12/14 7:42 a.m.

I'm thoroughly enjoying this thread.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad HalfDork
10/12/14 8:41 a.m.

http://www.ruckpack.com/

Already done. Call these guys and tell them you want to expand their marketing. Win win.

I want a commission.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GAmGdxdSJbLq2vPlDMuhIl4ySiHCeEWzv6PcTSrZufsgEcdRwPR8Wa22dKutxSKk