secretariata
secretariata GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/30/16 5:59 p.m.

Looks like NAPA has synthetic oil on sale through tomorrow for $3/qt. Is it any good?

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
12/30/16 6:18 p.m.

It's like getting into an argument about rod ratios with some people and it comes down to how what's the rod ratio in a V8? If you're answer isn't 8, you're wrong imo. In the same vein with oil, is it oil or not?

I last bought oil from Rural King because full synthetic 5qt jugs are $10. And the way the impala uses oil I'm better off.

mrwillie
mrwillie Dork
12/30/16 9:59 p.m.

Supposedly, their house brand is made by the same people that make the valvoline synthetics. I use bobistheoilguy.com for starting most of my oil research. I've used it in our 4cyl accords, and although I didnt get the oil tested afterwards the car seemed to like it. Definately not bad for the price. I like their silver and higher filters as well.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
12/30/16 10:43 p.m.

At one time I know Ashland did make their oil. Last time I checked, it didn't say Ashland produced it.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo MegaDork
12/30/16 11:22 p.m.

At $3/qt it's definitely good enough for DD use at the specified interval.

EvanR
EvanR SuperDork
12/31/16 12:34 a.m.

I used to obsess about oil for DD. Then, after studying it in depth, I realized that for most cars, in most situations, oil is oil.

Also, I realized that I don't have it in me to drive the same car for more than about 8 years.

I started using the cheapest thing that would work in my car. For the Sonic, it's WallyWorld synthetic, because that's about the cheapest stuff that meets dexos1.

Is there better oil? Probably. In the long run, does it matter? Probably not.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
12/31/16 1:47 p.m.

It's been shown that it is more important to change any oil, regularly than what oil you use. Excluding those cars that require a specified oil of course.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eo6xUbiBQ13QTP4k0Y2K0B2FyhNUOSp5QkmrvV3yGRYmyFdQw8We0XQIBjhC7cO0