ryanty22
ryanty22 Dork
7/31/14 12:32 p.m.

I received a 1998 roosevelt dime in change today, as soon as I got it I knew something was up with it. It is not a normal dime, its thicker with a deeper ridge around the outside perimeter the edge of the coin was never stamped with its ridges either. working on getting pictures that show the faults but on any of the coin collecting sites I cant find anything similar to what Ive got here to get any kind of a value. I know its the only one like this that I've ever seen.

ryanty22
ryanty22 Dork
7/31/14 12:41 p.m.

It is a p series dime.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/31/14 12:50 p.m.

I wouldn't necessarily call myself "experienced"(insert Hendrix joke), but I've bought/sold coins. Normally rarity and grading are the deciding factors in price. I'm not sure about something like that though.

Have you googled it and/or checked eBay? If it's a somewhat common occurrence you can probably determined an established price range. If not, either toss it on eBay & see what it brings, or take it to a coin show and ask around.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
7/31/14 12:58 p.m.

http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=88017

http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=48963

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/coins/353910-1998-dime-no-ridges.html

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/1999-p-roosevelt-dime-with-thick-copper-edge-blurry-print.76666/

ryanty22
ryanty22 Dork
7/31/14 12:58 p.m.
petegossett wrote: I wouldn't necessarily call myself "experienced"(insert Hendrix joke), but I've bought/sold coins. Normally rarity and grading are the deciding factors in price. I'm not sure about something like that though. Have you googled it and/or checked eBay? If it's a somewhat common occurrence you can probably determined an established price range. If not, either toss it on eBay & see what it brings, or take it to a coin show and ask around.

Been looking on google and there are other coins that have some of the imperfection of this one but nothing on this specific type of coin.

fritzsch
fritzsch Dork
7/31/14 12:59 p.m.

It might just be a normal dime. Google "making rings out of coins" It looks like one of the intermediate steps. What some people do is hammer the edge of coins with a spoon or hammer (if they are impatient) and it gets that effect. Also if you look closely at your second picture, you can see evidence of what used to be ridges, on the right side. Chances are this is a normal coin that someone messed with.

fritzsch
fritzsch Dork
7/31/14 1:01 p.m.

Or a dryer fin

ryanty22
ryanty22 Dork
7/31/14 1:11 p.m.

I would be inclined to agree with the dryer coin scenario if the weird coin wasnt visibly thicker yet the same diameter as a normal dime. Ive had dryer coins before I used to clean out and repair old commercial dryers when I was in my early 20s for extra money and saw quite a few coins mauled by dryers but this doesnt seem to be one

ryanty22
ryanty22 Dork
7/31/14 1:29 p.m.

dculberson
dculberson UberDork
7/31/14 1:35 p.m.

I think the thickness is just from the edge being raised. Google image search of dryer fin coin and they look exactly like that one.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
7/31/14 2:13 p.m.

I know zip about coin collecting. From the links Apexcarver posted, I'd go with spoon job or drier job.

Well, I should say that I do know a little about coin collecting, but I prefer coins not made of zinc.

johndej
johndej Reader
7/31/14 2:27 p.m.

part of a proof set that got into circulation?

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
7/31/14 2:29 p.m.

there's really nothing special about a '98 Roosevelt dime … that one looks like it's been in the dryer for a while …

I've been collecting coins for nearly 30 yrs. and the only '98 coins I have are in mint sets, or proof sets … no silver in them

on their own, it'll be a LONG time before they're worth anything

keep in mind that this is all just my 2¢ worth … you're getting it for free, so it's really just worth what you're paying

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Dork
7/31/14 2:58 p.m.

+1 on the spoon job. We used to do that when I was a kid. That dime is worth 10 cents if you can get someone to take it in change. Sorry, but you'll have to fund the kid's college education another way.

A mis-struck coin may have some value, but that isn't what you have.

And, yes, I am a coin collector.

ScreaminE
ScreaminE Reader
7/31/14 3:20 p.m.

How much would you value my 50 state quarter collection?

GCooper
GCooper New Reader
7/31/14 3:37 p.m.
ScreaminE wrote: How much would you value my 50 state quarter collection?

About $12.50

ryanty22
ryanty22 Dork
7/31/14 5:11 p.m.

Boy you guys sure know how to deflate a brother don't you, "hey guys I think I found something cool" "no you didn't dumbass"

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
7/31/14 6:23 p.m.

Dryer coins? Really? I suspect it's part of a government cover-up. It's far more plausible.

ScreaminE
ScreaminE Reader
7/31/14 7:46 p.m.
GCooper wrote:
ScreaminE wrote: How much would you value my 50 state quarter collection?
About $12.50

Damn! I guess I'm not retiring after all.

fritzsch
fritzsch Dork
7/31/14 10:30 p.m.
ryanty22 wrote: Boy you guys sure know how to deflate a brother don't you, "hey guys I think I found something cool" "no you didn't dumbass"

We don't want you getting all high and mighty on us. Gotta keep you modest somehow

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Dork
8/1/14 9:25 a.m.
ryanty22 wrote: Boy you guys sure know how to deflate a brother don't you, "hey guys I think I found something cool" "no you didn't dumbass"

You're welcome.

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
8/1/14 1:51 p.m.

we'er here for ya … all ya gotta do is ask …

dculberson
dculberson UberDork
8/1/14 2:12 p.m.
1988RedT2 wrote: Dryer coins? Really? I suspect it's part of a government cover-up. It's far more plausible.

It fell from a low flying drone over private property!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
k5JuNyTtWIDqpEPlL6NSYyQQi5zysFdV5KkdhUaqXT9Oo684ShQUKeVp6BVevJkV