RoughandReady
RoughandReady Reader
3/7/14 6:37 p.m.

Today I bought an IBM ThinkPad. It's an older one, but had pretty good specs (for an older one), and had a fresh install of Windows 7 Prof.

I did a Windows update, and noticed it was having quite a bit of scrolling lag on both Firefox and Chrome. Everything was loading quickly, and everything seemed pretty good, just not the scrolling.

So I dug around the control panel and noticed that the graphics card driver hadn't been updated since 2008. I downloaded the ATI Installer/updater, and it deleted my driver and didn't install the new one. (Great, right?) Not sure what to do next?

It appears that this particular graphics card isn't supported by the defunt ATI's owners, AMD. I can only seem to find one update for the card, from 2009.... but that was the update that erased my driver.

Ironically, now that I have no driver, there is no scroll lag.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo Dork
3/7/14 6:59 p.m.

Problem solved?

RoughandReady
RoughandReady Reader
3/7/14 7:02 p.m.

In reply to 93gsxturbo:

Maybe? I really don't know what video/display drivers do?

RoughandReady
RoughandReady Reader
3/7/14 7:05 p.m.

Not resolved. When I move from the default without the driver (800x600) to full res, I still have massive lag.

szeis4cookie
szeis4cookie Reader
3/7/14 8:28 p.m.

Head for the Lenovo website. They now own IBM's Thinkpad line, you should be able to grab the last version of the graphics driver for your ThinkPad. Your graphics card likely shares memory with main system memory, so maxing out the memory on that is probably a good place to start. Also, turn down some of windows 7's visual effects for a small boost.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UberDork
3/7/14 10:15 p.m.

System restore?

Grtechguy
Grtechguy UltimaDork
3/8/14 10:50 a.m.

go into the device manager and pull the hardware ID from the properties page of the display drive.

Google a driver based off that Hardware ID.

mrwillie
mrwillie HalfDork
3/10/14 1:35 p.m.

1) Check google. Other folks have prob had the same issue. 2) What model do you have? When you do your search on the lenovo site use the entire machine type- model number to pull up your drivers(this is usually on the bottom on a small sticker( in the 4numbers + 3numbers format and letters -- ie 2547-TD2). It should get you to the exact driver you need. IBM ( like alot of folks ) sometimes change devices on the system mid-production b/c of cost.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/10/14 2:50 p.m.

+1 for trying the Lenovo website, I bet what you need is on there.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/11/14 7:57 a.m.

I have had good luck with these drivers in the past: OmegaDrivers. It may take some poking around to find the right ones but they should be on the site someplace. As a side benefit you may see a performance increase.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/11/14 8:07 a.m.

^Good suggestion. I'd go there if what you're looking for isn't on the Lenovo site.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rHOuI97uIF5ZtYSEoSvZdRvrW5F2eVWXvUo7dO2wDj8qGaGNubWIeVKxd7godQKy