1 2 3
mfennell
mfennell Reader
12/14/20 10:36 a.m.

Fun times indeed.  We normally host 16 for a traditional "7 fishes" Italian feast.  We honestly thought it was a no-brainer and everyone would be 100% on board but we learned that my wife's relatives were planning to host instead.  Apparently they need to celebrate an engagement in the family.  My in-laws were seriously considering going.  Then my wife's idiot cousin caught COVID, exposed her mom, who exposed my mother-in-law.  THEN we learned that another relative who would be attending had COVID recently.  And all the 20-somethings in the family have been going out to bars.

Suddenly, it's a little more real.

Oh, and my daughter is in quarantine.

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
12/14/20 10:45 a.m.
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) said:

As someone who wants to avoid seeing people who I otherwise would never interact with on any level, I will be milking this excuse for all that it is worth. Perhaps years.

I have to say it factored into my decision as well.  No great loss.

wae
wae UberDork
12/16/20 12:02 p.m.

My wife's side of the family is mostly in the doctoring business - father-in-law is a doc, mother-in-law was a nurse, sister-in-law and her husband are docs - and the original plan was to take the RV up after Christmas to see them.  Found out yesterday that my brother-in-law tested positive and is symptomatic, although nothing serious yet.  He's handicapped and lives in a group home and the caregiver there tested positive late last week.  In that time my father-in-law and my mother-in-law continued to visit him and bring him to their homes for the day here and there.  Despite a bunch of coughing, my Mother-in-law refuses to go get tested because covid is a conspiracy (?), her husband refuses to get tested because - well, I'll save you the ugly racist details, but use your imagination and don't pretend that it could possibly make any sense, - and my father-in-law refuses to get tested because he's afraid that if he's positive they won't let him come to work.  And by "come to work" I mean see patients.  And by "patients" I mean primarily elderly people.

My sister-in-law and my wife are pretty much beside themselves.  My wife already told her parents that if they don't have a negative test and no symptoms, we aren't going anywhere near them and they're not coming here, either.  It really sucks because we haven't seen them since last Christmas because of all this mess but while I have a pretty high risk tolerance, going to see coughing people that have been in close proximity to a known positive case kind of buries the needle for us.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/16/20 12:10 p.m.
Jerry said:

As someone who wants to avoid seeing people who I otherwise would never interact with on any level, I will be milking this excuse for all that it is worth. Perhaps years.

I could imagine my ex- leveraging this excuse as well.  I think I enjoyed going to her extended family Christmas dinners more than she did.  

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
12/16/20 3:11 p.m.
Ian F (Forum Supporter) said:
Jerry said:

I could imagine my ex- leveraging this excuse as well.  I think I enjoyed going to her extended family Christmas dinners more than she did.  

I liked my ex-wife's family.  It's my own family I have no issue skipping out on.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
heWGpiAArybcIJe2mkTyQ092YLqtKcrL9fx7wNfznwwZnQC0xz1YxS3BfHM7beSb