02Pilot
02Pilot SuperDork
12/9/18 7:55 a.m.

I haven't seen pluto.tv mentioned here, so I figured I'd bring it up. I discovered it through my Roku TV, but you can also get it on the web or through your phone. Tons of channels, all free, including a couple of particular interest to car people. 501 (Chassy) and 600 (TV Cars) have some interesting stuff - I'm watching a full-length documentary on Caracciola right now. All kinds of other programming too, of course, including dedicated channels for both MST3K and RiffTrax.

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
12/9/18 8:15 a.m.

Interesting. I'll check it out. Us cable-cutters are always looking for free programming. 

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/9/18 8:25 a.m.

We have it, i don’t really watch anything anymore but the kids used the nasa channel during the eclipse

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Reader
12/9/18 5:48 p.m.

I also like the surfing channel too....

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
12/9/18 5:54 p.m.

I have it but because I'm in Canada, my channel selection is limited. I used a VPN and watched some cool stuff on channel 501, the Chassy channel

Brotus7
Brotus7 HalfDork
12/9/18 7:54 p.m.

My first exposer to Pluto.TV was when I walked into the living room one morning to find the TV on.. Somehow the dogs hit the Roku remote and tuned it into Pluto...

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/10/18 8:41 a.m.

I will check it out tonight.

slefain
slefain PowerDork
12/10/18 8:54 a.m.

I watched for a while, but then just wandered back to Netflix and Amazon Prime. I'm about to cancel SlingTV, so I may reinstall Pluto.

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
12/10/18 8:57 a.m.

Yes, I love me some Rifftrax and MST3000

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/10/18 9:17 a.m.

Interesting, but it's region-locked. Tried loading it without a proxy and it just kept "loading" forever. Tried it from a Canadian IP and saw some channels. I'll have to try it with an American IP later.

GameboyRMH
12/15/18 11:44 a.m.

Update: Well so far it's...maybe as good as your typical cable-type system. Which isn't bad for being free. At least when you see ads, you're not paying to see ads.

cfvwtuner
cfvwtuner New Reader
12/15/18 3:08 p.m.

Been doing Pluto for a while.

Cons: repetitive programming, programs are older

Pro's: Its Free, lots and lots of channels, It's free and it's free.

You cant beat it for the price.  We do a lot of rifftrax, MST3K, Front door, the travel and food channels,  the 2 car channels, and SLOW TV for the train rides

slefain
slefain PowerDork
1/3/19 3:54 p.m.

So I reinstalled Pluto the other night. Looks like they have added a LOT of content since I had it last. I watched part of "The Quick and the Dead", some MST3K, RiffTrax, and more. Honestly it feels like my old basic cable setup from 15 years ago. I'm going to stick with it for a while.

I did find some "sports" channels that made me think of "ESPN 8 - THE OCHO" a few times for the obscure stuff they were broadcasting. Pro medieval sword fighting world finals?

GameboyRMH
1/23/19 8:05 a.m.

Update: The bad news is that Viacom bought them, the good news is that there will be more channels...?

https://www.engadget.com/2019/01/23/viacom-buys-pluto-tv/

02Pilot
02Pilot SuperDork
1/23/19 8:16 a.m.

As long as they don't mess with what's already there I don't really care who owns it. Take away my 24/7 MST3K and I'm going to be pissed.

GameboyRMH
1/23/19 8:18 a.m.
02Pilot said:

As long as they don't mess with what's already there I don't really care who owns it. Take away my 24/7 MST3K and I'm going to be pissed.

I don't see things going well in the long-term with a company that owns traditional TV services and ISPs now owning an online streaming service...that's like a conflict-of-interest triangle.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1myNX6nYC6LfPJf6FZ31VbqL1BM4Y61yy0JoEQZx8K3En9EnmtWqXfFo1xaKOjR4