Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
3/16/19 5:42 p.m.

Looking for maybe a 3x3 chunk. Ms3 has recently come in to my possession and it is missing a few things, including a shift knov. Thinking about lathing my own. 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
1/31/22 10:55 p.m.

How much do you want to spend. Fordite is expensive in big pieces like that. Like 1-2$ a gram and more expensive the bigger it gets.  

Tons of other options with a similar look 

https://www.woodacrylicsupply.com/products/super-strata-inlace-acrylester-short-blank-3-4-x-2-7-8

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/1/22 6:50 a.m.

That sounds really cool.  How well does it stand up to hand oils would be my concern

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
2/1/22 6:55 a.m.

OK, I'll bite.... What is Fordite?

TheTallOne17
TheTallOne17 New Reader
2/1/22 7:00 a.m.
NOHOME said:

OK, I'll bite.... What is Fordite?

If I remember right it's what they call hundreds of thousands of layers of paint that build up overtime in the paint sections of assembly lines like Ford runs. Eventually it gets thick enough that it's almost rock-like, so it got given a rock like name

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/1/22 8:17 a.m.

A similar material you might be interested in is stacked & glued skateboard deck wood.

Recycled skateboards shift knobs - CDIY

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
2/1/22 8:27 a.m.

In reply to TheTallOne17 :

I love how every day the world gets just a little bit weirder.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
2/1/22 12:32 p.m.

Its really cool stuff. People go to old factories occasionally and find it. Gets polished and turned into jewelry.  A lot of the resin pour stuff came out of working with this because the cost was just so high and the sizes so small. 

Working with Fordite | Rock & Gem Magazine

obsolete
obsolete GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/1/22 1:30 p.m.

Really neat idea, but for a shift knob, I would want some good hard clearcoat on it. Real Fordite has lead in it. Should be careful machining it too. But maybe I'm just paranoid.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
2/1/22 1:34 p.m.

is there anything like "Earl Schieb"  fordite  , or something like that from high volume painters ? 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
2/1/22 1:35 p.m.

Cool!  Man-made geodes!

So, what are the relative merits of Fordite vs. Chevyite? laugh

STM317
STM317 UberDork
2/1/22 1:46 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

Colored pencils kinda give the same vibe too

wood turned colored pencil bowl | Castin craft, Clear casting epoxy, Mold  making

Workshop Addict on Twitter: "Want to learn how to turn a bottle stopper out  of colored pencils? http://t.co/MjFnJxydK2 #nova, #turning, #lathe  http://t.co/ZnrCXpzay6" / Twitter

Nicole Suddard
Nicole Suddard GRM+ Memberand Marketing Coordinator
2/1/22 3:14 p.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

Fordite's other common name is Detroit Agate, since it can really come from any old automotive manufacturer's factory floor. So what some call Fordite might secretly be Chevyite!

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
2/1/22 3:29 p.m.
Nicole Suddard said:

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

Fordite's other common name is Detroit Agate, since it can really come from any old automotive manufacturer's factory floor. So what some call Fordite might secretly be Chevyite!

How positively scandalous!

NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/1/22 4:23 p.m.

I had never heard of this before so I went to googling and figured I would share.

Fordite

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Dork
2/2/22 9:30 p.m.

The main difference between fordite and chevite is the chevite runs.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
2/2/22 9:40 p.m.

Did I miss a canoe? How'd this come back?

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/2/22 9:47 p.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

Yes, it was a canoe that brought it back.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xfS80HjFHBaogcR9O1w7t1FwjRmiY2EYs2Z6EYZVS8KL2GL3655lJ9Yjul9bN1J0