1 2
STM317
STM317 SuperDork
10/2/18 1:37 p.m.

Are you compensated for mileage and/or fuel costs? That's seems like it could really impact the type of vehicles to consider as well as the viability of the job.

Mr. Lee
Mr. Lee GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/2/18 1:48 p.m.

.75/mile

STM317
STM317 SuperDork
10/2/18 1:59 p.m.
Mr. Lee said:

.75/mile

So keeping fuel and maintenance costs as low as possible should be a priority.

This guy estimates he's saving nearly $400/month by switching from a RHD Cherokee to a modified Prius

cdowd
cdowd Dork
10/3/18 9:20 a.m.
(not) WilD (Matt)
(not) WilD (Matt) Dork
10/3/18 10:46 a.m.

My father was a rural carrier for some years until a city route opened up.  He (and most of his colleagues) simply went with a bench seat automatic something.  He personally drove a Bronco II equiped thusly, plus 4x4 because MI winter. 

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/3/18 8:21 p.m.

Importing a RHD Land Rover sounds like the worst possible solution to this question.  It is clearly what you need to do.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
10/3/18 9:49 p.m.

I have a friend who did rural route delivery for many years.  He always used automatic Honda Civics.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
10/3/18 10:23 p.m.
Mr. Lee said:

I recently started back to school for electrical engineering. Both end up at about the same pay level in about 4 years or so. 

Based on how much I make working as an electrical engineer (who went to school for journalism) and how berking hard it has been for us to find remotely qualified employees (hence why we pay a journalist to do electrical engineering), I find this hard to believe... Hint: look into Architectural Engineering with a focus on electrical design.

Cooter
Cooter Dork
10/3/18 11:33 p.m.

Look for a Saturn SWP.

Cheap to buy, cheap to operate.   And you'll get your money back out when it is time to sell.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
D0RTE0wRo9o9FZd99Xtqt34MAcZzliOkNIk3WUGnKZ96VRo8JLhwkZfiirGhNDVy