1 ... 4 5 6
Anti-stance
Anti-stance Reader
3/8/12 8:56 a.m.
BobOfTheFuture wrote: Honestly, to me building AR's is a little boring. They are SO simple, if you've built an engine a AR will be yawn-worthy. If you want some fun and a challenge building a rifle, Get a FAL kit. I just got done building my first STG. 58. Tougher build, takes some fab work and fitting, plenty fun.

Yeah, ARs are simple. I am not collecting them on the difficulty of assembly(not building). I have built 2 AMD65 at work, with the help of a friend because I do not have all of the jigs. But thats cute that you disqualify ARs because of their simplicity.

Will
Will Dork
3/8/12 8:07 p.m.

Well, if you want a more intricate build, a 1911 will also do nicely. Buy the right parts and they're as tight as a Swiss watch.

BobOfTheFuture
BobOfTheFuture HalfDork
3/9/12 3:01 a.m.

Who is "disqualifying" AR's?? Care to explain yourself on this one?

J308
J308 Reader
3/9/12 7:29 a.m.
Will wrote: Well, if you want a more intricate build, a 1911 will also do nicely. Buy the right parts and they're as tight as a Swiss watch.

Talk to me brah. I've always wanted a 1911 but kitted out one's are expensive as E36 M3.

Never thought about building one, but if they are like AR's in that they can be built for a fraction, I need to hear about it.

Anti-stance
Anti-stance Reader
3/9/12 8:49 a.m.
BobOfTheFuture wrote: Who is "disqualifying" AR's?? Care to explain yourself on this one?

Maybe I read it wrong but your whole post had the stench of a superiority complex.

"I was afraid to look at this thread" (this isn't the knuckleheads on AR15.com)

"... to me building building AR's is a little boring."

Like I said, I may have read these wrong but it seems a little condescending. It reminds me of college football fans over NFL fans and F1 fans over NASCAR fans kinda stuff.

Will wrote: Well, if you want a more intricate build, a 1911 will also do nicely. Buy the right parts and they're as tight as a Swiss watch.

I have not played around with 1911s, Ive only shot one of them. I have heard that the right parts and mild gunsmithing can make for a well working piece. I like that "tight as a Swiss watch".

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
3/9/12 12:06 p.m.

Just got back from Wally World. They now have 4 AR15's there, and from the missing spot in the display, I think 5. Besides the Sig Sauer, there was a Genuine Colt M4 type carbine, flat top with a handle, at about $1050, and a DPMS carbine for $587. At that price, it's hard to justify saving $87 and making it yourself after sourcing all the bits.

I didn't know Colt was selling to the civilian market again. I guess the governments have all they need for a while.

Drewsifer
Drewsifer Dork
3/9/12 1:24 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: Just got back from Wally World. They now have 4 AR15's there, and from the missing spot in the display, I think 5. Besides the Sig Sauer, there was a Genuine Colt M4 type carbine, flat top with a handle, at about $1050, and a DPMS carbine for $587. At that price, it's hard to justify saving $87 and making it yourself after sourcing all the bits. I didn't know Colt was selling to the civilian market again. I guess the governments have all they need for a while.

They've been selling civilian ARs for a long time, but it mostly HBAR models for target shooting. They finally started selling carbines a few years ago.

You're lucky. My Wally world only sells Sig and Bushmasters for around $800. Terrible prices for mediocre products.

stroker
stroker HalfDork
3/9/12 6:42 p.m.

If you've got one poodle puncher you've got enough.

Will
Will Dork
3/9/12 6:59 p.m.
J308 wrote:
Talk to me brah. I've always wanted a 1911 but kitted out one's are expensive as E36 M3. Never thought about building one, but if they are like AR's in that they can be built for a fraction, I need to hear about it.

Eh...building a 1911 will probably cost more than buying one. I'm building a MEUSOC 1911 clone right now. $30 for a slide stop, $40 for a beavertail adds up fast. But just about everything is made oversized, and filed/sanded to fit. It takes a lot of work, but makes for a very tight-fitting (in a good way) gun. It's not like an AR, where you just drop in a mil-spec part and go.

BobOfTheFuture
BobOfTheFuture HalfDork
3/10/12 6:11 a.m.
Anti-stance wrote: Maybe I read it wrong but your whole post had the stench of a superiority complex. "I was afraid to look at this thread" (this isn't the knuckleheads on AR15.com) "... to me building building AR's is a little boring." Like I said, I may have read these wrong but it seems a little condescending. It reminds me of college football fans over NFL fans and F1 fans over NASCAR fans kinda stuff.

Okay, I didnt phrase it perfectly, and add in a bit of projection and we have a problem.

I meant, If others, like myself, built one or two, it becomes apparent that compared to other things GRM'ers tend to build, it is overly simple, almost like a lego rifle.

Then I added, If you are looking for another cool rifle, and a fun, challenging build to boot, a STG 58 worked great for me. K?

You're response sure did seem like it would fit in at arfcom for a sec there... As I read your post, I was waiting for the attack based on that I brought up a non-5.56 rifle

stroker wrote: If you've got one poodle puncher you've got enough.

Speak for yourself!

stroker
stroker HalfDork
3/10/12 8:43 a.m.
BobOfTheFuture wrote:
stroker wrote: If you've got one poodle puncher you've got enough.
Speak for yourself!

Nah, I've got three... You got me.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
3/10/12 9:03 a.m.

I can see a need for multiple poodle punchers. What if you're attacked by Standard Poodles? The big 70-ish grain rounds might be needed, so you need a poodle puncher with a 1:7 twist. What about if you're attacked by poodles out at 600M? Free float barrel 1:7 twist with a nice scope. Then, what if a whole bunch of Miniature Poodles attack up close? M4 poodle puncher with 52GR and maybe a 1:9 twist.

stroker
stroker HalfDork
3/10/12 9:55 a.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: I can see a need for multiple poodle punchers. What if you're attacked by Standard Poodles? The big 70-ish grain rounds might be needed, so you need a poodle puncher with a 1:7 twist. What about if you're attacked by poodles out at 600M? Free float barrel 1:7 twist with a nice scope. Then, what if a whole bunch of Miniature Poodles attack up close? M4 poodle puncher with 52GR and maybe a 1:9 twist.

You could do that with three different uppers and just one lower.

Seriously, if I didn't have a 223 I'd think real hard about a Grendel, but I just don't see the ballistic advantage as worth the extra expense and lack of aftermarket support. One of these days I'm gonna finish that 10mm Magnum of mine and then I'll have something to experiment with...

RossD
RossD SuperDork
3/10/12 5:24 p.m.

The 6.5 Grendel just come off of Wildcat status. Other manufacturers are starting to make everything for the round.

BobOfTheFuture
BobOfTheFuture HalfDork
3/10/12 5:58 p.m.

Im pretty sure in the end the 6.8 spc is gonna be where its at. Some companies are using it now with a super heavy bullet for the sub sonic stuff, like the honeybadger. Pretty cool!

Anti-stance
Anti-stance Reader
3/11/12 8:47 p.m.
BobOfTheFuture wrote:
Anti-stance wrote: Maybe I read it wrong but your whole post had the stench of a superiority complex. "I was afraid to look at this thread" (this isn't the knuckleheads on AR15.com) "... to me building building AR's is a little boring." Like I said, I may have read these wrong but it seems a little condescending. It reminds me of college football fans over NFL fans and F1 fans over NASCAR fans kinda stuff.
Okay, I didnt phrase it perfectly, and add in a bit of projection and we have a problem. I meant, If others, like myself, built one or two, it becomes apparent that compared to other things GRM'ers tend to build, it is overly simple, almost like a lego rifle. Then I added, If you are looking for another cool rifle, and a fun, challenging build to boot, a STG 58 worked great for me. K? You're response sure did seem like it would fit in at arfcom for a sec there... As I read your post, I was waiting for the attack based on that I brought up a non-5.56 rifle

No worries. Its always much harder to tell what people are saying or meaning to say via typing. Atleast there is no auto correct typos that we have to deal with.

The dude at work that has helped me build AKs at work built a SBR 6.5 Grendel and is now lookking into building a 300 Blackout. I guess the allure of the 300 Blackout is that you can use the same magazine, lower and bolt as a 5.56. Obviously the chamber and barrel are different. But the cost per round is a little pricey right now.

Its funny, he has been for a long time, on the side of AKs in building rifles but has started playing with ARs and calls them black potato chips. Can't have just one.

1 ... 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XrLPE0R0DbhMnhk9ODu4hlW3XSxYiFxTuHbG2DKv7nzc5Jq8UvkA5iqztNEQPIzH