1 2
pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/17/14 8:25 a.m.

We got a bunch of stainless steel appliances at work, and they were looking pretty smudged. So I had them buy stainless steel appliance polish to clean them with. This stuff smells like brake cleaner or carb cleaner. Not the smell you want in your kitchen! I get that I am polishing metal, but I figured stuff for your toaster would be different than the stuff you use for your rims.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
6/17/14 8:29 a.m.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
6/17/14 8:31 a.m.

Might not be a smell improvement to some, but try WD-40 on that.

Lancer007
Lancer007 HalfDork
6/17/14 8:36 a.m.

If this kitchen is in a submarine just make sure you have a screen door so you get some good ventilation.

triumphcorvair
triumphcorvair Reader
6/17/14 8:39 a.m.

Olive oil and baby oil works great for cleaning smudges on stainless appliances.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/17/14 8:50 a.m.

I thought this thread was going to be about people from Poland...

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UltraDork
6/17/14 9:03 a.m.

Isn't that where polish comes from?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/17/14 9:06 a.m.

Sounds like what you're describing is oven cleaner, which is basically like The Dip from Who Framed Roger Rabbit. Strips thick paint (or skin) like it aint no thang! Although I admit it's very good for cleaning bare metal.

Also bad for your lungs and I hear it'll burn clean through your eyeball...so be careful.

dculberson
dculberson UberDork
6/17/14 9:07 a.m.

Get Sleek. It's what we use here, it doesn't smell bad at all. It can be oily looking if they use too much.

https://www.google.com/search?q=sleek+stainless+steel+cleaner

Also, the old joke about the polish inventor coming up with a solar flashlight is no longer quite so funny.

http://www.amazon.com/Hybrid-Light-Solar-Flashlight-Black/dp/B0013VH7U6

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
6/17/14 9:21 a.m.
EvanB wrote: I thought this thread was going to be about people from Poland...

Yeah... this thread is not what I expected in the least.

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
6/17/14 9:25 a.m.
Bobzilla wrote:
EvanB wrote: I thought this thread was going to be about people from Poland...
Yeah... this thread is not what I expected in the least.

I do believe that was the point.

Anyway, I use Weiman stainless cleaner. It does a great job and doesn't destroy your appetite with the odor.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe SuperDork
6/17/14 9:44 a.m.

No lie pledge and other dust cleaners work wonders on stainless steel.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UberDork
6/17/14 10:07 a.m.

I've also heard of using lemon juice and steel wool.

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
6/17/14 10:38 a.m.

Hand sanitizer.

failboat
failboat UltraDork
6/17/14 11:50 a.m.

I used windex multisurface cleaner on the side trays of my grill yesterday. because we were out of stainless steel polish and/or i didnt find it first.

ryanty22
ryanty22 HalfDork
6/17/14 12:11 p.m.
failboat wrote: I used windex multisurface cleaner on the side trays of my grill yesterday. because we were out of stainless steel polish and/or i didnt find it first.

That stuff is great for general household cleaning but comparatively it gets real expensive real quick

Cone_Junkie
Cone_Junkie SuperDork
6/17/14 12:16 p.m.

I got a couple little bottles of cleaner with my appliances, but I can't remember the brand. It is applied with a damp sponge. It actually leaves a thin/oily coating that helps prevent smudges and fingerprints. Smells good too. Just like sanding wood, go with the grain.

dculberson
dculberson UberDork
6/17/14 1:10 p.m.
MadScientistMatt wrote: I've also heard of using lemon juice and steel wool.

Steel wool? No! scratch scratch city

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/17/14 1:12 p.m.

People from Poland making you nuts? Polish remover works wonders!

Seriously though, the stuff they use to clean ovens is powerful stuff.. I often questioned why until I saw them remove some stainless steel ovens from work. the caked and backed on grease on the backs of them was enough to make you swear off of food

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
6/17/14 1:18 p.m.

i was going to make a comment about changing light bulbs, but then i read the thread..

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
6/17/14 6:26 p.m.

Custodian at work showed me his trick for getting all out stainless looking nice. Wipe with the grain, not in circles.

jimbbski
jimbbski HalfDork
6/17/14 6:35 p.m.

Steel wool is the last thing you want to use on stainless steel. Steel rusts, stainless steel doesn't. Rubbing wool on the stainless will leave small bits of steel imbedded in the stainless steel. The bits will then later rust.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/17/14 6:50 p.m.

fallacy.. stainless will rust. What it does is form a very thin oxidation coating in the presence of oxygen. if you would have it in a place where air cannot get to it, but water can, Stainless steel will in fact rust because it will never form that coating

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UltraDork
6/20/14 11:05 p.m.

fact stainless steel is not stainless

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/21/14 1:04 a.m.

I always use someone else when asked to clean stainless steel.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
O1Ej5GYb8ZaGttgfLsfJKPbZKTTrTDv3kH886G1CiLLhU2qaVlnHaC47JpCdhv9T