Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/27/17 3:44 p.m.

So, a co-worker and fellow track day junkie has had about 2 1/2 gallons of gasoline spilled in the back of his X5d.

He's stripped all of the interior out that he can and has done his best to get everything soaked up and removed, but it's still dripping gas. I told him he shouldn't plan on parking it inside for quite a while...

And then there's the smell.

Any ideas?

mtn
mtn MegaDork
6/27/17 3:49 p.m.

Strike a match and watch it burn. The tough part is containing the fire to the gasoline, usually the car goes up with it.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/27/17 3:52 p.m.

Call a detail shop and let their insurance cover it when a spark from the brushes in the shop vac motor ignite the fumes.

NEALSMO
NEALSMO UberDork
6/27/17 4:04 p.m.

Dripping? From where?

Open all windows and leave outside for a LONG time. I've noticed gas fumes/smell doesn't last forever like smoke or just plain old stank from filthy people.

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition SuperDork
6/27/17 4:12 p.m.

Beware of a friction fire-- the car note and the insurance policy rubbing together.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/27/17 4:46 p.m.

Let it evaporate. It will litterly take days as the new low VOC gas formulations evaporate so much slower than that of 20-30 years ago.

Next wash / scrub the area with water mixed with some "oil eater" and a little bit of dawn dish soap. It may take more than one washing.

Oil Eater is goofy labeling but it is by far the best cleaner I have found for oil based stains. Something like $15/gal for the concentrate. I removed gear oil (about half a gallon of it) that leaked out of a transmission in the back of one of my explorers. Used it strait for the first application and then 50/50 with boiling hot water and that was even better at getting things out. It 100 percent removed all trace of the gear oil disaster and I sold the truck a couple weeks later. The purchaser was amazed when I told them the story. I use it diluted in a spray bottle to wash the carpets in my vehicles. Spray on let soak wet vac up rinse with hot water and wet vac that up. Makes carpets look like new. Great on floors, plastic metal really anything. Oh and it is supposed to be non toxic but I am not going to try drinking it.

einy
einy Reader
6/27/17 6:17 p.m.

Seriously, call the people at OdorXit. They have formulations for nearly any odor issue. Even a friend's throw up in a dashboard vent. Ask me how I know ....

jere
jere HalfDork
6/27/17 7:44 p.m.

I ve resorted to Dawn changing rags often, pressure washer, and ventilation. It will work eventually

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
6/27/17 11:12 p.m.

Just tell him to be careful. People tend to underestimate the power stored in gasoline. Three guys got burned badly in a local boat explosion a few weeks ago. Guy decided to disconnect thd bilge pump wires to stop pumping gas from the bilge into the water.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan Dork
6/28/17 5:23 a.m.
NEALSMO wrote: Dripping? From where? Open all windows and leave outside for a LONG time. I've noticed gas fumes/smell doesn't last forever like smoke or just plain old stank from filthy people.

"The 'O' is supposed to go with the 'B'!

former520
former520 HalfDork
6/28/17 9:58 a.m.

I had many gallons of gas spill on a vehicle when a pump stuck on while I was sitting in the van keeping warm.

When the fire dept came by, they used water with dish soap to disperse/ mitigate fire danger. They told me the dish soap raised the surface tension and kept the fumes from rising and built a barrier from spark ignition.

Maybe try rinse out the back with dish soap and water?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TQFTGoCYbiO2PafZ1ijBoP9n0h4MDeo0OuHNQmFH1jvev3znLq8w0BmPnSRFXagP