1 2
CarKid1989
CarKid1989 SuperDork
11/3/13 7:28 p.m.

Well, its been a while since the event and i wanted to share my experiences on Asphault Adventures inaugural event "Explore the Shore."

see: Explore the Shore thread

Asphault Adventure website

I signed up on a whim the last day of registration. I am a full time student in school, working two jobs, and getting free time just seemed too tough to secure. None the less I registered and sent my fees in. I was hoping registration would be full so i would have an easy out of going...the week of the event i had a major exam in all my classes and i knew it would be a killer week.

My registration was accepted. Time to find a vehicle.

I pickup up a two for one motorcycle deal (Honda CX500 and a GL500) and I figured i could make it work for the trip. I knew the bike needed a fair amount of work but i figured since i work at a bike shop that would be no problem. Boy was i wrong. Work kept coming, school kept me busy and i found myself two weeks before the event needing to get the bike together. I ordered in a few basic parts and got the bike in to get it running. The GL500 had a title and looked decent enough to make the trip, the CX was too rough to make anything happen. I tore into the GL500 and found it had lowwww compression and part of the wiring harness was melted. That sealed the fate for taking either of those bikes.

The next day I spent hours on craigslist and ended up finding a Suzuki Bandit that the seller was willing to part with for beater class money. Awesome. We agree on a price and that i would call the next day to pick it up. Overnight, the seller disappeared. No response from him at all. That bike was out too.

I bought a beater that same week but that one was out of the running because it would not run for more then 45 minutes then shut off. Questionable brakes too.

soooooo....

I decided 5 days before the event to take my daily driver motorcycle. 2003 Yamaha FZ1. Did a quick oil change, tightened the chain, and installed a LED driving light the monday before the event. Tuesday, i bought Carhartt bibs and stopped by work to pick up a pair of Cortech Scarab gloves for the cold parts of the trip.

My plan was to leave Richmond Heights Ohio early Friday morning, and arrive in Hazlet NJ by evening.

Thursday night came and i was in a bit of a panic. I remember walking around the house saying things like "what the heck am i doing" "normal people dont take trips like this" "i have never taken a trip this long on a bike...alone" "what the heck am i doing" I ended up packed and wondering what the heck this weekend will bring.

Friday morning I loaded up the bike, got all dressed up and set out to New Jersey. It was 9am.

Bike ran great, it was a bit on the chilly side but i dressed well and was warm and comfortable so i kept truckin'.

Made it out of Ohio no problems.

Shortly after that i stopped for my first tank up and snack break. A cup of coffee, a Cliff bar and a walk around the gas station loosened me up and i felt ready to go again in 20 minutes or so. I learned quickly that these gas stop/ break times really helped make the trip go well and kept me alert and safe.

Back on the bike and i finally tuned on the IPod to get some music going to liven up the trip. Country music mix. Perfect. Sang in the helmet and had a relaxing time. The bike did great on the highway. I had bought a wrist saver for the throttle and that helped me keep my wrist flat and not cramped and hurtin. I often found myself cruising at 80 mph and the bike just thrummed along.

Pennsylvania is a beautiful state to ride through might i add. I set my GPS to avoid toll roads but to keep me on the fastest route most of the trip. The last 200 miles i did all back roads to Hazlet NJ. Well 200 miles with the fastest route setting, changing it added miles and hours to the trip...more on that later. The PA highway is so scenic in comparison to Ohio. There are rolling hills and the mountains are beautiful. Riding past rivers and valleys was breath taking. The leaves were also just starting to change colors and i tell you what, seeing all of that alone was worth taking the trip. Loved seeing all of nature in its colorful glory. Beautiful.

I was movin' pretty good on the highway but saw a sign for a state park that mentioned a cool sounding lake so i turned off the highway and decided i could take a detour to see it. Worth it. Great riding roads to the state park (which i cant remember the name of) and the lake was perfect.

Back on the road....

Finally i get to the point where i switch the GPS settings to "AVOID HIGHWAY." This would take me to the hotel in Hazlet NJ in apx 200+ miles. Though it took more miles then that and much more time as well i would not have made the trip differently. The roads were so much fun. High enough speed limits to where you could have fun and still make good time. Turns up and down hills/ mountainy roads that i felt would never end. I have never been tucked on my bike in a turn for that long ever. It was a riot. And all the while the scenery was perfect. Stopped for a late lunch at Sheetz and continued onward.

Its starting to get dark at this point and i noticed at my last fuel stop that i was getting a bit tired. Not dangerously so but enough to make me check the GPS and be thankful i was getting close to the hotel.

Back on the bike.

Ride ride ride, i flip on the LED light and all of sudden its like riding in day time again. Worked great and helped relieve some strain off my eyes from night riding. My gear was doing a great job at keeping me warm and my scarab gloves kept my digits working smoothly.

AND THEN!!!!!

Made it!!!

A short while later i got to the Holiday Inn. Jim (JTHW8) and his wife greeted my tired heap and got me checked in for the event. This all went without a glitch and i was happy to see Jim again in his usual upbeat disposition.
Previously i had planned on sharing a room with another team doing the event but along the ride i called ahead and booked my own room. I needed a bed. i needed a 5 hour long hot shower. I unpacked the bike and briefly joined in the Asphault Adventure parking lot pregame festivities.

I loved seeing some familiar faces as well as many new ones. Everyone was so nice and it was a great way to start the event. I unfortunately was pretty beat from riding a bit over 500 miles (11+ hours) so i called it an early night and went to bed to rest up for the next day.

*Ill post again shortly to recap the actual Explore the Shore event, this was just Part I *

nicksta43
nicksta43 SuperDork
11/3/13 7:38 p.m.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
11/3/13 7:42 p.m.

Nice, good safe riding, keep it up Kevin.

Following with much anticipation.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
11/3/13 8:53 p.m.

Very good ride report!

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/3/13 9:06 p.m.

Looking forward to the next update.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
11/3/13 9:36 p.m.

Where's my popcorn eatin' smiley?

Nice write up and great photos. Can't wait for the next installment!

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 SuperDork
11/5/13 11:00 a.m.

I awoke early Saturday morning and first thing i had to do was repack my bags. I did this 3 times on the trip and learned more about packing in those times. I also learned i over-pack out of caution but it just ends up being a waste. For the next trip i will be better off because of my experiences here.

I skipped breakfast. I always have breakfast. I was up early and not on my normal work/school/work schedule and i did not want to have an upset stomach. It actually worked out ok and i ate one of my Cliff bars a few hours into the day.

Grabbed all my bags and headed outside to strap em on the bike. I had made a grab bar a year ago for strapping on extra gear and i had used that and ratchet straps to keep my bag on the bike. It never budged. (and even made a bit of a back rest which was nice) Again, having never done a trip this long i was a worry wart about having my bag fall off but because of reading online (ADVrider, etc) i had a decent setup going. Not perfect but it worked well

I rode around to the back parking lot to greet the other teams and get ready for the divers meeting and the handing out of days challenges/ points sheets. It was a bit chilly but i decided against wearing my bibs cause the weather channel said it was gonna warm up later in the day.. (i made the right choice )

After fun drivers meeting with Jim and his wife leading it we were ready to go. The meeting was great. Informative but laid back and fun. There were rules to be followed but none that made anyone upset or like they would be "held back." very professionally done JTHW8...very fun way to start the event. There were some jokes here and there and even to a first timer for an event like this it was easy to understand. I cant stress this enough but EVERYONE present was so helpful and ready to give aid at any time no matter what. there still are good people in the world. this event is proof of that. great bunch of competitors.

after that we all headed off!

Except me... who pulled back to the front of the hotel to arrange my bags and read the papers and set my route, since i cant do that while driving haha. (ill post more about the trials and tribulations of doing this event alone and on a motorcycle later on) In the excitement i somehow left my key on and killed my battery. I finished my reading of the packet and challenges and jumped out the bike and was greeted by click click click...ughhhh. A bit embarrassed i got off the bike and had a few guys already near ready to help.

JTHW8 (Jim) helped give a push the the bike was bump started to life.

After a warm up and bit of time to cool my nerves i headed out of the parking lot and the day full of fun, adventure, and excitement began.

(now i am headed back to class, updates to come)

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Event Marketing
11/5/13 11:22 a.m.

Awesome. But needz moar postz!

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 SuperDork
11/7/13 10:24 a.m.

Ok, class cancelled so i got time to throw up a continuation....

After pulling out of the parking lot and tearin up the main street i suddenly felt really lost.

I have no smart phone. My garmin gps is good but not amazing. All i had was my tablet on me and i needed a wifi hotspot for it to be worth a lick. to add to all this, the Explore the Shore challenges were not destinations (as in, go to this address and take a picture) So to find them i had to get creative and figure it all out.

I picked the easiest Challenge to start, take a picture of you toes in the water (paraphrasing here). so i head to the beach....ummmm which beach where? I am more lost then a kid getting separated from his folks at the mall. I search on the GPS for "Beach" and pick the first one that seemed plausible.

Well, i made it to a beach.

I lumber onto the beach, walk rather awkwardly through the sand and headed to where there are less people. Seemed like everyone looked when i stepped on the beach and a big guy in a bike jacket walking to the water, taking off his boots and doing a "selfie" then getting re dressed and walking away just seemed goofy.

So i did just that and chatted it up with a couple who were fishing.

I was chatting up the wife and got to taking about the event i was on and she became VERY interested. We sat down and she went through all the challenges with me and gave me tips on where to go, or at least where to look. She had a smart phone and even went on to get specific details for me to help me out. What a dear. This was an enormous help to me. I forgot to catch or name but i thanked her for her help and walked off the beach.

But before that i found a horseshoe crab. (think thats it) Never seen one in person. I thought i found a dinosaur or something crazy....freaky looking animal.

Chatted with a guy on the pier about his life and he gave me a skyline tour of new york and his life events from where we were standing. You meet the nicest people. They are still out there. The world is not that crazy.

Left the beach and decided that the Boardwalk area down the street could be useful for finding the next challenge: A carousel-- bonus points for a moving giraffe. I parked and wandered into the amusement portion of the park. NO ONE was around. I eventually found a employee and he took me to the carousel . I quickly explained the event i was doing and he was surprised i rode in from Cleveland Ohio to do it. he was glad to help take a picture. Found a giraffe....it was not a moving one

then he proceeded to tell me about how the whole carousel was just finished being restored since tropical storm sandy tore through. it was 5 feet underwater and partially buried in muck and sand. He told me about how tough its been in the area and got a bit emotional. He was so proud of the carousel being back in functioning shape. You meet the nicest people. Great stories to be had.

Went out to start the bike and the battery had not charged enough to crank it over from the morning though it was close. Another pushstart.

Checked the time and decided to haul ass to Atlantic City. There was a special points event at 1:30 (maybe 2:30) and you had to be there on time or you could not participate. I had heard that it could possibly be an advantage to a motorcycle so i decided to attend and get some quick points.

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 SuperDork
11/7/13 10:54 a.m.

Made it to the location on time and was greeted by Jim and his wife. Some chit chat about the event and i relayed to them how much fun i was having already and how many new things i was seeing and experiencing. I was hooked.

The event was based on Monopoly. You had to find and photo yourself with street signs from the game. Then you "owned" it and got points. Anyone who sent in that same street sign after that , you got points b/c they paid "rent."

sounds easy enough.

Well, Jim and Kelley explained he rules and off we went.

I hopped on the FZ1 and realized i had no idea where any of the streets were. The GPS did not help jack. No smart phone to locate them. I was clearly not going to be competitive. So i did what any smart one would do. i went out for lunch.

But not just any lunch. Oh no.

One challenge was to send in a picture of you lunch. The craziest oddest etc lunch would get most points and then slide down the scale from there. I had clam chowder, calamari and sparkling water. so so good. and being my first meal of the day, so filling. I hope that scored some decent point.

My lunch break was at tops 45 minutes. During this time, between eating i hipped out my tablet and the Challenge sheet and my phone and quite possibly planned the day out better and more in detail then the D-Day landings. I texted ex-girlfriends, co-workers, family, and female acquaintances (i figured the women in my life would get back to me quicker...my gamble paid off...never burn bridges )to send me address to lighthouses that i needed to stop by and photograph for points. I was on the tablet planning out stops in Atlantic City, pulling up addresses and facts about freakin huge elephants, sinking concrete ships and other oddities.

I finished my lunch. By the end of it i had the back side of the Challenge sheet full of destinations for the Asphault Adventures Explore the Shore points challenge. They were list mostly in order. I slipped the sheet in the clear top pouch on my tank bag, loaded up the bike and sped off.

I got into the heart of Atlantic City and my first destination was a lighthouse.

ill add this in here....when there is no one around, and you are alone, and tripod-less, it rather tricky to take a good photo of yourself and an object. i tried. the whole trips photos are like this (save a few from strangers) Another thing that made it a bit tricky.

Loved seeing the lighthouses. They are just fun buildings.

One Challenge was a "make up your own event" kinda thing to keep the event exciting on a personal bases and to let people not feel resticted to the OFFICIAL challenges. I liked this idea but failed to take advantage of it though i had enough stuff happen to qualify for it and get some points. Doh.... Back on topic, i found a situation that would qualify for this challenge....i found a huge group of motorcycle riders on a sketchy street and though hey, i am one of them, ill swing by, chat it up a bit, grab some pictures and be on my way. The closer i got, it became overly abundantly clear that if i wanted no trouble and to make it to the finish line, i should just keep riding my normal route and not stop haha. Sketchy crowd.

Off to the pachyderm.

traffic in the city area was nuts, i need air horns and neon lights alerting people i am there. Lots of defensive driving on my part...

Lucy! An elephant erected to protect the shores.

This stop made me frustrated. I stopped three people to take the picture for me.... two i offered my camera (Canon S100, amazing p/s camera, easy as pie to use) and one kid i offered my cell phone.

not a single person took a good photo.

However because of that, i have a great shot of a persons finger, a neat shot of sun glare, and a blurry mess of a photo where i thought i saw the face of jesus in. Who knows. Another point Challenge done.

my selfie might take the cake...

I checked my clock and realized time was getting tight so i quickly set off to my next destination and sped off.

Next stop, WEDDING CRASHING

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
11/7/13 10:58 a.m.

Great writeup! If you don't mind a little extra effort I gave you access to post to the blog (not just the forum) on the Asphault Adventures website. I'd love to share your stories from the road there as well.

Shoot me an email if you need some assistance on getting started with that, or if you'd prefer, with your permission, I will copy from here.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
11/7/13 7:50 p.m.

This is my favorite thread right now.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
11/7/13 7:55 p.m.
EastCoastMojo wrote: This is my favorite thread right now.

if we ask kindly maybe some of the other GRMers who were on the event will share their stories and photos as well. :)

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 SuperDork
11/10/13 7:54 p.m.

Back to updates.

One of the points Challenges was to "crash a wedding" a photo bomb etc. I read that and got a kick out of it, it sounded like hilarious stories would ensue so i decided to really make an effort to get the picture and points for it.

I was driving through town and i had already had it cemented in my head that i would find a wedding on the beach. I had to get to the beach. Find a nice beach. beach beach beach. It was that glued in my head that i almost blew by a newly wedded couple hanging out on a porch taking wedding pictures. I grabbed a bunch of front brake and came to a stop in front of the porch and right behind their horse drawn carriage. Perfect.

Now, quick sidenote....I have been in a lot of weddings in the last few years and have dealt with sisters and sister in laws and brides so i wanted to be as low key and non-obtrusive to the wedding party. I realize on special days like that, a stranger on a motorcycle in bike gear could throw things off. so i proceeded with caution.

I chatted it up with the photographers assistant and explained the who bit to him. He got a chuckle out of it and said he did not want to mess things but that he "would try to help if it was possible." Ill take what i can get.

So, while the newly weds are gettin into there carriage i stepped behind the cart and wished them all the best and hoped the assistant was taking pictures. I shook their hands and thanked the assistant and went on my way. Much to my surprise about a half hour later my phone started making all sorts of noise. I checked it and sure enough the photographers assistant had taken the picture and sent it to me. SCORE!

It was also at this point where i realized how ummm loudly i sing in my helmet. I was riding through stop and go traffic in a quaint downtown area listening to my country selection on the ipod and i just got carried away. I had a few people look over and smile and a older gal by some flowers turned around and waved to me haha. Fun afternoon.

I left the area in hunt of the next light house. I had the addresses of the last three challenges written down but i was running out of time! We had a set time to meet at the finish line in Wildwood NJ. It was worth a large amount of points to make it there on time so i started pushing it to make as many points stops before i needed to get to the finish line.

I arrived at the next light house. I could get two Challenges done at this stop. Photo with the lighthouse and a photo with a WWII era bunker on the beach. The lighthouse was neat to see and i tried my best to photograph it...

I wish i had more time to explore and investigate the WWII bunker. It was odd to walk to the beach and have it look like a scene from the WWII D-Day invasion. The bunker was huge. I enjoyed the historical tie ins with the Explore the Shore event. made it more relevant and exciting.

i saw two other teams at this stop but did not stop to chit chat since i was tight on time.

Next stop, an experimental concrete ship that sank...

you can see my course notes a bit in this picture. Photography while riding....not easy.

Made it to the concrete ship. I had to ask for directions because my GPS was a bit off. Seems like everyone in Jersey knows about this ship. I asked a woman in a group and all of a sudden the whole group is giving directions, time estimates, other things to do while in the area etc. kinda funny.

The ship, U.S.S Atlantis (ironically) was a prototype/ experimental ship made by the US Navy i believe. Long story short it was a failure. It sank just off the shore and a part of it still sticks out of the water. Worth reading up on. Interesting stuff.

After the ship stop i went straight to the finish line. Had to make it in time. I was pushin the speed limit a bit and had my fingers crossed to make it in time.

Well, i did it. Even arrived a bit early at that!

I was so excited to get to the finish line with little or no problems or injury or incident. I was so good to meet back up with all the other teams and share stories and experiences.

I handed in my photos for scoring and joined all the teams for a group shot in front of the Wildwoods sign.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
11/10/13 8:06 p.m.

Enjoying. Thanks for taking the time to write it down.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
11/10/13 8:08 p.m.

One correction because most people, myself included are mis-informed about this.

The SS Atlantus was not a failure. It is often billed as a failed experimental ship but it was in fact part of a fleet of 12 concrete ships built toward the end of WWI. Although it was finished at the end of the war so it did not see combat use it was used to transport troops home from Europe and was an actively commissioned ship in the US Navy from 1918 to 1920.

In 1926 she and 2 of her sister ships were sold and were to be sunk off the coast to make a dock for a ferry out of Cape May. Unfortunately a storm hit and she broke free of her moorings and ran aground off the coast of Sunset Beach where you saw her. A few attempts were made to free her but none were successful so she remains there to this day.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled trip report.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
11/10/13 8:11 p.m.

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 SuperDork
11/10/13 8:45 p.m.

Now that the Explore the Shore event was over it was time for the "closing ceremonies" and awards and a buffet. Man alive was i hungry. And thirsty too actually.

We stayed at the Oceanic Hotel right in Wildwood within walking distance of the Wildwoods sign. It was an older hotel but it was clean and cheap so in my book it was alright.

Jim handed out the awards for the two classes and thanked everyone. It was just nice. Nice to be around a fun group of people. Nice to have good competition. Nice to have a good group running the event.

We were lucky because next door to the hotel there was a city park with some sort of festival so we had a live band playing most of the night. That added a bit extra ambiance to the night,.

I headed to the poolside bar and continued to have a few celebratory drinks. There was a hot tub and a swim up bar but i had forgotten to pack my trunks. We cant have that. I marched to the boardwalk and found me the nicest dated swim trunks $5 can buy. Let me assure you they were awesome.

The night went on and i had a ball chatting with other teams. The Saab team (Ben L, his two buddies) the Volvo Amazon couple. (names escape me but i believe they were celebrating their 2nd? anniversary) The two couples that came in the Buick. There were others two but it was fun just talking about the event, life, anything.

Eventually the outdoor party closed down and the party moved to the hotel bar. I had a ball down there. And then the dancing started and the wedding party after parties showed up. Man alive they are a feisty crowd. What a fun time dancing and enjoying the night.

I have no idea when i got back to my room. Not a clue. Was worried about waking up...it was a long night of fun the night before. I made sure i was in one piece and ok and i started getting ready for another day.

Hotel balcony view:

By this point i was getting good at packing, repacking and loading up the bike. It only took me ten or so minutes to pack and strap down the bags. not bad.

I was then invited out to breakfast by the Saab team and the Volvo team and we had one last meal together. It was the best way to finish the weekends events. just a relaxing breakfast in a quaint little breakfast joint.

I got back to the hotel, checked out and said my goodbyes to anyone that was still there. Said by bye to Jim and thanked him for a blast of an event.

Back on the bike. Back on the road back to Ohio...

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 SuperDork
11/10/13 8:47 p.m.

Jim good point about the USS Atlantis. I went and dug more up on it after i posted it and the history about concrete ships is kinda neat.

Who woulda thunk concrete ships would be built...

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
11/10/13 8:54 p.m.
CarKid1989 wrote: Jim good point about the USS Atlantis. I went and dug more up on it after i posted it and the history about concrete ships is kinda neat. Who woulda thunk concrete ships would be built...

I will say one of the most fun parts of designing the events for me was learning the history of some of these things that I see all the time and never get to learn about. Expect future events to have more of that sort of thing but with more time to explore the sites and learn about them on your own. The problem with technology being what it is is that I would love to make the challenges answering questions about these historic sites to inspire people to go and explore but they can just google the answer and move on rather than really get to experience things.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
11/10/13 8:58 p.m.
CarKid1989 wrote: Who woulda thunk concrete ships would be built...

Before fiberglass, Ferro-cement boats were rather popular.
http://www.kgrawood.com/bb.htm
http://www.ferrocement.org/

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 SuperDork
1/6/14 9:17 p.m.

OK. So its been a long time and i need to update this a bit from wayyy back...

This post is about a bit of luck/ blessing i experienced the the end of the event.

My FZ1 is a chain drive motorcycle. After the event i had put several hundred miles on the bike and the chain had a good amount of slop in it. By the time breakfast was done with on Sunday and i got to thinking about it most every team had left and the remaining one did not have the tools i needed to loosen the axle nut and all that. No sweat i told myself, ill just be cruising on the highway and thats much less stress on the chain.

Along the way it kept bugging me to tighten the chain, and every time i got off the highway to tank up i looked for a Harbor Freight or something to buy the tools and tighten things up.

I found none. I checked the chain one last time around half way and said screw it, its fine, it will not be an issue and i continued the whole way home in peace. I got home and nothing went wrong.

Two days after i got home i decided to clean up the bike and tighten that darn chain. What happened next, had it happened on the trip would have halted me in my tracks.

I started to loosen the nut and it got very hard to turn with in a few threads. So i walked the nut back on and worked in back and forth. Nothing. I stood on the ratchet. NO MOVEMENT. Finally i had to break out the 1/2 Impact and that was having some trouble getting off the nut.

The nut had taken off a number of threads and the nut itself inside was mangled at two sections of thread. Could not put the thing back together,thats how bad the threads were.

Had this happened in Wildwoods NJ, this would have sucked big time. I guess my guardian angels had my back.

Bought a new rear axle tube and nut...$$$ and the bike is now fine.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
1/7/14 11:18 a.m.

Wow, yeah in this case its a good thing you let it be. Some times you never know but I'm glad it worked out in the end :)

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 SuperDork
1/7/14 9:04 p.m.

Earlier i made a brief mention i would elaborate on motorcycling on this trip. I have some time so i figured i would share:

• The sheer thrill and excitement of taking a motorcycle is incredible. Unreal. Everything changes. The drive to the event was half the adventure, and the scenery is breathtaking, and the sights sounds smells and the freedom provided by a motorcycle is just the best. Plus your on a bike driving around America. Uh hello. awesome!

• Downside, is you better be good on your own. I love riding, think there is not much better BUT with all the amazing things i experienced on the trip, it would have been nice to be able to share it with someone. Sounds a bit cheesy maybe. There were actually times i saw a picture perfect view or some neat building or whatnot and i wanted to say something to anyone and no one was around. Now granted you could take a passenger, i mean you could. With a passenger you need a sizeable bike though. Do-able, but im not rich enough to just buy a big cruiser, or big sport tourer. Secondly, with the budget being as low as it is for motorcycles, you wont find one. (under 500$) All that being said, it was still a riot.

• Weather. Can be great for you or can be straight hell. Roll the dice. I got lucky, dry except for the last 20 minutes on my way home. Cold at sun down but do able.

• The budget for the motorcycles is still one thing i am not sold on. haha. Long trips? I would prefer to take something a bit sounder--a higher price tag follows. all for beater bikes but i have seen a lot of $350 bikes anddddd many i would be scared to take around the block, still others are missing so much its hopeless.

• Solo you cant pack a lot. Bring essentials. Bring a passenger and you might be stuck with just bringing a pair of socks and underwear.

• Some of the challenges involved taking pictures on the road. Now, i am young and dumb enough to take a picture while riding but i dont have an extra hand or a brain power that can tackle i.d.-ing and reacting to a challenge and taking a picture while riding and not crashing. Its tricky. I lost some points due to this.

• In a car you can multi-task and use a smartphone and maps to get to the next check point or challenge, OR/AND have you teammate help. ON a bike, unless you are riding two up (see above about bringing a passenger and its problems) you have to stop and plan before,not during the trip so much.

• It was a cheaper trip because my MPG was great. This helped me a lot seeing as how i am a full time student and budget matters. (i would love to take a van on these trips or a bus but i cant afford that kinda fuel cost)

• People are very friendly to bikers generally and thats before you explain the Asphault Adventure twist.

• The motorcycling things is a thrill and an added adventure to the trip.

Thats all i got for now

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
1/8/14 7:29 a.m.
CarKid1989 wrote: - Downside, is you better be good on your own. I love riding, think there is not much better BUT with all the amazing things i experienced on the trip, it would have been nice to be able to share it with someone. Secondly, with the budget being as low as it is for motorcycles, you wont find one. (under 500$) All that being said, it was still a riot.

What if (just noodling ideas here so don't take any of this as law) For motorcycle class your teammate were allowed to be on his/her own bike. Caveat being any challenges would require you both to be in the photo together to avoid you splitting up and doubling your efforts?

CarKid1989 wrote: - The budget for the motorcycles is still one thing i am not sold on. haha. Long trips? I would prefer to take something a bit sounder--a higher price tag follows. all for beater bikes but i have seen a lot of $350 bikes anddddd many i would be scared to take around the block, still others are missing so much its hopeless.

Part of me wants to tell you that you are missing the point of banger rallying if you want something sounder for long trips. I've always had one simple rule to banger rallying (as a participant) If you aren't afraid of your vehicle, you are doing it wrong.

Now I could tell ya the same think I used to tell folks who complained when it was only $250 for a car on BABE, If I can do it, you can do it. But for the sake of argument and because you are one of my favorite bike riding nutjobs I'll do this instead. I'll post it later on the website and FB page but official declaration, GRM gets it first: For S2S I will permit motorcycles to have the same budget as cars so as follows:

1980-1999 – $500

1960-1979 – $750

1959 and earlier – $1000

if that is enough to get more than one team in banger MC class on S2S this year then I will acquiesce to the fact that I was wrong and make it a permanent change. But if I only have one MC again then we'll have to agree its not just the budget that's an issue.

CarKid1989 wrote: - Some of the challenges involved taking pictures on the road. Now, i am young and dumb enough to take a picture while riding but i dont have an extra hand or a brain power that can tackle i.d.-ing and reacting to a challenge and taking a picture while riding and not crashing. Its tricky. I lost some points due to this. - In a car you can multi-task and use a smartphone and maps to get to the next check point or challenge, OR/AND have you teammate help. ON a bike, unless you are riding two up (see above about bringing a passenger and its problems) you have to stop and plan before,not during the trip so much.

Fully agreed, which is why it was always our intent to score MC class separately and maybe even have different challenges for them. But our rule for "specialty classes" is and always has been 5 entrants for the class to be valid for its own award group. So if 5 teams in Studebakers sign up, I'll run a Studebaker class. If 5 teams with aircooled VWs sign up I'll have an aircooled VW class. If 5 teams with volvos sign up, it will be like any other banger rally so no joy there ;)

Point being MC is a specialty class, the organizers of BABE were probably pretty smart to not mess with such things as it adds to the complexity of planning, cost of awards, etc. But I want to broaden the appeal and I'm a glutton for punishment :) But if it gets enough entries to qualify as a specialty class then you are competing against other teams with the same issues you are facing which will even the playing field.

Now you have a higher budget, go forth and preach the gospel of the banger motorcycle class and recruit 4 more teams.

And I'll leave it to those teams to decide, if there are 4 banger MC teams and one Open MC (Nice bike) would you rather have one MC class and compete against the good bike? Or no class at all?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2lPRW5HXjzE2IUUNPiWWWePnf9rGrlWHo82625W0sjIwQBhLWnoq2lPAQ7lbgBB7