1 2 3
wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe SuperDork
10/20/14 4:55 p.m.

Kind of a minor rant but big money on the line.

Found a house we like ~40 days ago, on a 45 day escrow, put ~100K down in earnest money the day that the offer was accepted.

Loan was approved through sellers loan agent (This was mistake one, but required in there terms as they wanted us to move fast or back out. All docs requested for the loan were in ~3 days.

~15 days ago we had everything "done" on our side for the loan and it was "approved" we released contingencies. Only issue was the appraisal came back way higher then we paid, ~150K more then we paid, we knew it was undervalued and took a shot at it and the sellers agreed with a minor counter

So supposed to sign docs on 8th, then the 15th now the 22nd. Each time we get pushed back, I have ~5 days until the escrow term is up and I am at my wits end.

So cannot get solid answer of my loan agent expect it will be done on Wednesday which has been a lie so far, my escrow company is flipping out over the lack of documentation and the selling agent has disappeared.

Am I right in going full kill Santa mode here and just going above every-bodies heads to their regional supervisors. I have been as patient as I can be, but I would like to cut someone now.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe SuperDork
10/20/14 4:56 p.m.

Forgot to add, I have a renter taking the house I am in on the 1st.

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/20/14 5:04 p.m.

Time to carpet bomb. If you've only got 5 days left in the escrow, you gotta get asses moving.

NOHOME
NOHOME SuperDork
10/20/14 5:12 p.m.
wearymicrobe wrote: ~100K down in earnest money the day that the offer was accepted. ...my escrow company is flipping out over the lack of documentation and the selling agent has disappeared.

Uhmmm that "lack of documentation better not pertain to the 100K or I think you are REALLY screwed. Are you POSITIVE that this was the "seller's" house to sell? Can you get your $$$ back today if you wanted out? How can a selling agent diapear? Do they not work out of a Broker's office?

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe SuperDork
10/20/14 5:21 p.m.
NOHOME wrote:
wearymicrobe wrote: ~100K down in earnest money the day that the offer was accepted. ...my escrow company is flipping out over the lack of documentation and the selling agent has disappeared.
Uhmmm that "lack of documentation better not pertain to the 100K or I think you are REALLY screwed. Are you POSITIVE that this was the "seller's" house to sell? Can you get your $$$ back today if you wanted out? How can a selling agent diapear? Do they not work out of a Broker's office?

They do and I have every-bodies bosses number now. Many threats were made. Docs were stuck in somebodies hands who was on vacation or just straight up dropped the ball. Title is clear house was paid for in cash about 2 years ago so that is the easy part.

I am shaking mad right now but everything should be done "tomorrow, or Wednesday"

oldtin
oldtin UberDork
10/20/14 6:44 p.m.

First world problems sounds like it's mostly sorted unless they are waiting you out, returning the escrow money and reselling at a higher value. In that case do you have any recourse if the clock runs out? If yes, pursue. If not, move on

psteav
psteav GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/21/14 9:09 a.m.

Lawyer up. You make enough to pay someone else to bust heads for you. Lotta money on the line, throwing 1-3k at someone who knows real estate law and the players therein in your area may save you a lot in the long run. (Assuming it turns out it's actually NOT sorted now.)

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe SuperDork
10/21/14 2:03 p.m.

Well its time for docs and still no word from them and now I am not getting called back. I decided that it was easier to just hire my uncle the nastiest attorney I know. The bank has requested till Wednesday morning at 12:00 as the drop dead time they will get them done. After that I told them I will release the hounds.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe SuperDork
10/21/14 2:04 p.m.
NOHOME wrote:

I am might be flipping this one so not really first world problems so much as get off your tocous and do your job problems

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
10/21/14 2:10 p.m.

You sound like a guy who needs to keep an attorney on retainer.

The_Jed
The_Jed UltraDork
10/21/14 2:34 p.m.

Cone_Junkie
Cone_Junkie SuperDork
10/21/14 2:37 p.m.

Sounds like the higher appraisal got the sellers attention and now they want to wait you out for a bigger payout.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe SuperDork
10/21/14 3:16 p.m.
Cone_Junkie wrote: Sounds like the higher appraisal got the sellers attention and now they want to wait you out for a bigger payout.

That is exactly what happened, and yes they have done all sorts of stuff to get the sale to fail. Short answer is that I can take a hard money for 20K or so upfront and interest cost for a few months if that is what it will take. There is enough money in the house to risk that.

Appraiser said he would have comeback almost another 150-200K up if it had a modern kitchen the sound-wall install finished and a few of the damp sots in the house addressed.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe SuperDork
10/21/14 3:16 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: You sound like a guy who needs to keep an attorney on retainer.

I actually have prepaid as part of the umbrella policy. They are only reactive though not proactive.

PHeller
PHeller PowerDork
10/21/14 3:47 p.m.

Interested to see how this plays out. The house looks fantastic, but its back story has us all wondering what kinda dealings these people have done.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe SuperDork
10/21/14 4:18 p.m.
PHeller wrote: Interested to see how this plays out. The house looks fantastic, but its back story has us all wondering what kinda dealings these people have done.

There is all sorts of stuff coming out of the woodwork. The lot the house was built on was apparently seized through the city somehow by the guy that built it. It somehow is 7 different lots stitched together to make the one. The neighbors are signing ding dong the witch is dead.

Apparently they could feel my hatred through the interwebs as they just called doc's are posted we can sign tonight if everything is cool with them.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/21/14 4:44 p.m.
wearymicrobe wrote: There is all sorts of stuff coming out of the woodwork. The lot the house was built on was apparently seized through the city somehow by the guy that built it. It somehow is 7 different lots stitched together to make the one. The neighbors are signing ding dong the witch is dead.

Man, I hope you've got an owner's title insurance policy on it just in case...

Good luck with the closing.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/21/14 4:46 p.m.

the loan people did similar to us. our 30 day contract was up on 2/17/09. 2/15 rolls around nothing done. 2/16 nothing done. 2/17 "it'll be done by 5" - courthouse closes at 5, can't file the papers until next day at that point and our contract would be up. at 4:15 the loan was ready, met title lady and loan guy at 4:25, blew through papers in 20 mins and title lady flew to courthouse to file transfer, she got there at 4:58. we got keys at 7pm. those guys run on nobody's time but their own.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
10/21/14 5:31 p.m.

Your system for buying houses sounds completely retarded.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe SuperDork
10/21/14 5:43 p.m.
BoxheadTim wrote:
wearymicrobe wrote: There is all sorts of stuff coming out of the woodwork. The lot the house was built on was apparently seized through the city somehow by the guy that built it. It somehow is 7 different lots stitched together to make the one. The neighbors are signing ding dong the witch is dead.
Man, I hope you've got an owner's title insurance policy on it just in case... Good luck with the closing.

Yeah that was a monster of a bill ~5K give or take between the seller and me.

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/22/14 8:00 a.m.

so did you close??

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe SuperDork
10/22/14 9:08 a.m.

All done waiting on keys today. Just waiting on the money transfers to go through and the wire for the rest of the down payment to clear.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
10/22/14 1:53 p.m.

well that was more stressful than necessary.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
10/22/14 2:41 p.m.
Zomby Woof wrote: Your system for buying houses sounds completely retarded.

I never could figure that one out. Are you telling me that up there you typically just write a check and sign the title and it's yours the same day?

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe SuperDork
10/22/14 4:37 p.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote:
Zomby Woof wrote: Your system for buying houses sounds completely retarded.
I never could figure that one out. Are you telling me that up there you typically just write a check and sign the title and it's yours the same day?

Even when we have paid cash for a house it still takes at least 11-17 days, with the title check and all the associated papers. I have not done is since they have been making you doc every bit of cash that you receive.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QRloiET9Nw4OFhQGkxzJlh1tGMsSssa4gvBLnRSuJKjh7iebWOKOr244REN2faPe