1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13
stroker
stroker UberDork
12/15/20 3:16 p.m.
codrus (Forum Supporter) said:
Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón) said:
aircooled said:

As a sad note Alex will not be in Season 6, he go Me Too'd.  I do like his character, so hopefully they can get a reasonable replacement.

The way I read it, he got himself fired by being a hypocrite creep and possibly a criminal.

It's sad that we're losing the character, but yes the described behaviour of the actor is inexcusable.

What's worse is that Cas basically saved the show singlehanded after SyFy dropped it by getting Amazon to pick it up...

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
12/15/20 7:30 p.m.
bobzilla said:

TOMORROW!

I'm really irritated that they're doing the "dribble them out once a week" model instead of everything at once.  I will probably wait til it's done to watch them, I hate artificial delays.

We get three at once and then one a week until feb. I'm ok with that. 

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/16/20 8:10 a.m.
aircooled said:

As a sad note Alex will not be in Season 6, he go Me Too'd.  I do like his character, so hopefully they can get a reasonable replacement.

The way I read it, he got himself fired by being a hypocrite creep and possibly a criminal.

It's sad that we're losing the character, but yes the described behaviour of the actor is inexcusable.

I'm still surprised they don't just re-cast the character and continue on. Knowing what happens in the books going forward (that it seems they won't get to sadly) it will be hard do write him out completely, and there's not really anyone in the existing cast of characters that they can easily drop in to replace him. It's not like other shows haven't had to re-cast parts midway through, and since everyone knows WHY- and it's not something somewhat inane like the actor holding out for more money- I think as long as they got someone who could play the part well it would be fine.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
12/16/20 8:39 a.m.
Ashyukun (Robert) said:
aircooled said:

I'm still surprised they don't just re-cast the character and continue on. Knowing what happens in the books going forward (that it seems they won't get to sadly) it will be hard do write him out completely, and there's not really anyone in the existing cast of characters that they can easily drop in to replace him. It's not like other shows haven't had to re-cast parts midway through, and since everyone knows WHY- and it's not something somewhat inane like the actor holding out for more money- I think as long as they got someone who could play the part well it would be fine.

I can deal with this in a cartoon where the voice actor changes.  But in a TV series or movie I hate it.  I'm a bigger fan of just writing the character out of the show.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
12/16/20 9:12 a.m.

watched first episode this morning. Loved it. 

Ashyukun (Robert)
12/16/20 10:32 a.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

That works when it's either a minor character or there isn't 3-4 books more of material where they're a crucial part of a tight-knit crew that trying to add someone else into without a lot of effort to set it up would just feel like they were shoehorned in. 

*MINOR SPOILERS*

Yes, I know that there are several who will be added to the crew shortly- but they've been around for quite a while and add different elements/skills to the crew vs. replacing one of the core 4...

BenB (Forum Supporter)
BenB (Forum Supporter) Reader
12/16/20 10:36 a.m.

This should probably go in the "Quotes" thread, but my wife and I have been bingeing the entire series again to get ready for season 5. In the first episode, when Holden loses his wrench and it goes flying off into space, my wife pipes up with, "Oooo, I'll bet that was a 10 mm!"  

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
12/16/20 3:43 p.m.
Ashyukun (Robert) said:

Yes, I know that there are several who will be added to the crew shortly- but they've been around for quite a while and add different elements/skills to the crew vs. replacing one of the core 4...

But will they? I'm wondering if the fruit actually makes the comeback. I haven't seen anything in the trailers.

thatsnowinnebago (Forum Supporter)
thatsnowinnebago (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/16/20 3:57 p.m.

Today's the day! I'm stoked to get back to this show. It's nice they got two more seasons and notice that that is going to be it. It sucks that the show is ending, but at least they get to intentionally end it. It's much worse when shows get cancelled at the last minute and we never know what happens. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
12/17/20 6:39 a.m.

finished the last of the first three episodes this morning. Damnit. It reminds me of the wife and I watching 24..... now I'm on edge until the next one. 

stroker
stroker UberDork
12/17/20 5:23 p.m.
Ashyukun (Robert)
12/18/20 7:48 a.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

Well, they've already set up the events that lead to both of them to joining the crew in the first 3 episodes (heck, the TV series started laying the groundwork for them joining earlier than the books did). Granted, they play larger parts in the stories that the TV series is apparently not going to get to, but I can't see them not having the two of them join the crew.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
12/18/20 7:49 a.m.

In reply to Ashyukun (Robert) :

Yeah, I saw him place the call at the end of the episode... made me happy.

Not sure how I feel about Pa being replaced by Drummer.

Ashyukun (Robert)
12/18/20 9:02 a.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

I'm thinking it will work- though if they don't continue on into the Laconian storyline the change won't make as much of a difference.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
12/18/20 9:11 a.m.

For those of you who have watched season 5, do the graphics and sets seem to be stepped up a notch in quality?  Maybe it's me, but it seems to be much better than before.

I'm excited for season 5 because the Amos arc is one of my favorite parts of the book series and the TV series seems to be following it almost exactly like the book.

-Rob

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/20/20 3:13 p.m.

I started season 1 of the Expanse years ago and it didn't really grab my attention.  Slow start.

But I see that Shohreh Aghdashloo is in it.  I will pretty much watch anything with her in it.  I find her acting to be superb.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/20/20 3:57 p.m.

In reply to rob_lewis :

"Really? That's all this is about?"

"Uh... yeah?"

I was rolling during that scene.

I agree - the effects seem really good this season. Special effects in so many shows is just mind-blowing these days. So hard to tell what is green screen and what is set.

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
12/20/20 5:17 p.m.

I haven’t been able to set infront  of the computer long enough at a stretch to get back into it, and so far, I’m having trouble hearing what a lot of folks are saying. Seems like they are focusing even harder an the accent and slang, and including more. 

Prolly adds a bit of “realism “ for some, but I can’t hear people that don’t enunciate. And I miss a lot of current slang, much less future stuff!

Or maybe my hearing has just gotten even worse since I discovered the show a couple months ago...

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/20/20 5:38 p.m.
03Panther said:

Or maybe my hearing has just gotten even worse since I discovered the show a couple months ago...

captions/subtitles?

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
12/20/20 5:42 p.m.

If I can’t understand the accent/slang they are using in the script, I hate to think how bad CC would mangle it!

Ive watched it scroll on the news at truck stops or waiting rooms. It’s hilarious to read. But I feel sorry for the folks that need it. 

The0retical (Forum Supporter)
The0retical (Forum Supporter) UberDork
12/20/20 6:47 p.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

It's probably the Belter Creole.

CC does mangle it and it was hard to follow in the books as well.

This part of the story arc focused heavily on the happenings of the Belt, so there's going to be a lot of it.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
12/20/20 8:21 p.m.

The Belter Creole sounds a lot like Hawaiian pidgin to me.

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
12/20/20 8:24 p.m.

I knew it’s the belter slang, although I couldn’t think of the word belter at the time! I managed to get a little understand back after finishing the first new episode. 

‘Preciate the link... that took me to wiki for another definition, to another: managed my way out of that rabbit hole before too long. 

I’m a bit of a detail freak, and really don’t have a social life, but that fact that the page you linked even exists, shows that I don’t hold a candle to some. 

And I thought my cousin attending William and Mary in the 70’s was odd cause she learns to speak Klingon...

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/21/20 2:40 a.m.
03Panther said:

If I can’t understand the accent/slang they are using in the script, I hate to think how bad CC would mangle it!

Ive watched it scroll on the news at truck stops or waiting rooms. It’s hilarious to read. But I feel sorry for the folks that need it. 

CC works much better on scripted shows because it's just the text from the script.  Live shows they have to have someone listening to the audio and typing it in, that's why it's delayed and full of errors.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
12/23/20 9:01 a.m.

just watched the new episode. They have strayed from the books in parts but damn.... 

1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AjTLu8fSVIAAlckz80zjw94ecYRPdzVBp2wr3rRwFxyPW92XjhLfs5yo67tg1iQU