1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
2/28/19 9:48 a.m.

Mmmmmmm.  Vintage Klipsch. 

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/28/19 9:58 a.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

they're so much better from an efficiency standpoint then my current addiction, vintage Maggie's. 

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/28/19 10:04 a.m.

Wouldn't vintage speakers sound awful unless they've been refurbished?

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/28/19 10:05 a.m.

Can I carry them home in a Miata? 

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/28/19 10:07 a.m.

From the era of bell-bottoms and shag carpet?  No thanks. 

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/28/19 10:10 a.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy :

Not necessarily. My garage speakers are 70s Bose I found on trash night. The foam around all the cones is gone, and they still sound better than my 90s era Sony's.

captdownshift
2/28/19 10:28 a.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

I think you'll want to take the ramp truck to get them. 

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
2/28/19 10:31 a.m.

In reply to captdownshift :

Those look like nearly modern Maggies to my eyes. I had a pair of MG-III back in the day that I loved. I sold them when I moved into a more sane sized house. Now I'm back in a big place but don't have the drive any more.

They looked like these:

captdownshift
2/28/19 10:31 a.m.

In reply to pinchvalve :

Much like older benzs, they were engineered to perform and last forever. Not engineered to a price point to push sales volume and profit margin. Once department storea started carrying systems in November and December each year, roughly 1978-1984ish, the quality went downhill. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
2/28/19 11:37 a.m.
captdownshift said:

In reply to pinchvalve :

Much like older benzs, they were engineered to perform and last forever. Not engineered to a price point to push sales volume and profit margin. Once department storea started carrying systems in November and December each year, roughly 1978-1984ish, the quality went downhill. 

A little over a quarter-century ago, a friend gave me an old pair of Acoustic Research AR-4 speakers.  I still have them.  They still have the original drivers.  They still sound very nice.

The AR-4 was manufactured between 1965 and 1966, as near as I can tell.

Brett_Murphy
2/28/19 12:02 p.m.
RevRico said:

Not necessarily. My garage speakers are 70s Bose I found on trash night. The foam around all the cones is gone, and they still sound better than my 90s era Sony's.

Don't you need to use the massive cables to get things sounding good?

Digital sound is easier.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
2/28/19 12:22 p.m.
Brett_Murphy said:
RevRico said:

Digital sound is easier.

Highly doubt it, unless you're pushing MASSIVE speakers with a MASSIVE amp.

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/28/19 12:39 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:
captdownshift said:

In reply to pinchvalve :

A little over a quarter-century ago, a friend gave me an old pair of Acoustic Research AR-4 speakers.  I still have them.  They still have the original drivers.  They still sound very nice.

The AR-4 was manufactured between 1965 and 1966, as near as I can tell.

I had a set of those! Long gone, house firesad

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
2/28/19 1:10 p.m.

pardon me if I've shared this before... but maybe I can convince one of y'all to build one yourself

Brett_Murphy
2/28/19 2:00 p.m.
mtn said:
Brett_Murphy said:
RevRico said:

Digital sound is easier.

I thought those Monster Cables made their business on audiophiles and analog equipment. 

Much like wine, I can't tell the difference between high end and mid level stuff, so it's all a moot point for me.

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/28/19 2:10 p.m.

Something to be said for older well used speakers.

Not the same thing but i use Shure Vocal Master towers for home stereo. They sound fantastic, everyone should try them

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
2/28/19 3:21 p.m.

In reply to sleepyhead :

I've got a pair of DML panels right here on either side of my desk, built per the Parts-Express project.  Been a while since I've listened to them.  Currently driving a big old pair of Sony's for the bass.   I'll have to do something about that.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
2/28/19 4:04 p.m.
Brett_Murphy said:
mtn said:
Brett_Murphy said:
RevRico said:

Digital sound is easier.

I thought those Monster Cables made their business on audiophiles and analog equipment. 

Much like wine, I can't tell the difference between high end and mid level stuff, so it's all a moot point for me.

Monster Cable made their business on marketing. Speaker wire does not need to be huge and it doesn't need to be expensive. In one test, a coat hanger tied with Monster Cables for sound quality:

https://gizmodo.com/audiophile-deathmatch-monster-cables-vs-a-coat-hanger-363154

I'm not going to advocate wiring a system with coat hangers, but using any decent quality copper wiring 18 gauge and larger will work for most systems.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
2/28/19 4:14 p.m.

In reply to dculberson :

Stop the presses!  We agree on something!  laugh

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
2/28/19 6:07 p.m.

Big expensive speaker wires are one of the biggest scams going.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/28/19 7:30 p.m.

In reply to sleepyhead :

Oh my!! That was amazing. I think I'll go ahead and order a handful of those to play with. Thanks for the video. 

I built my first set of speakers when I was 15 using Radio Shack components. I've also built several bass boxes with my eldest son. But the panels are awesome. There is a good chance there will be a set of them hanging in my office by the end of the summer. 

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
2/28/19 11:03 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:

In reply to dculberson :

Stop the presses!  We agree on something!  laugh

Don’t get used to it! cheeky

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
3/1/19 2:46 a.m.

In reply to Toyman01 :

make sure to play either "it's a small world after all" or perhaps some version of "kumbaya" in honor of the 1988RedT2/dculberson mutual agreement moment?

wink

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
3/1/19 5:56 a.m.

Those came up in my regular searches yesterday. Those are Klipsch speakers I might actually like.   

But I doubt I’d wanna get rid of my magnepans for them. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ErinlWgrZdUmLYyKDNDbB5NJ2DJ4vq7aLjkscamO7vD6DjHr87U4eRfUPoFdZLTb