Strathclyde
Strathclyde New Reader
7/14/08 7:13 p.m.

Going grill shopping for my wife's birthday. Aussie grills caught our eye, but does anyone have any experience with them? Thinking about the "Bonza" series, Classic or Standard.

Thanks.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp HalfDork
7/14/08 7:49 p.m.

I had one, it was a decent inexpensive solid little grill. It stayed outside exposed to the elements 100% of the time and it held up reasonably well. Mine only had the two burners front and back, so kind of fine tuning the grilling surface was not as great as some of the more spendy grills.

The metal body was fairly heavy compared to some of the others and the frame was quite steady so you don't get the "sway" you get in some other grills. All in all I would buy another as long as their pricing hasn't gone up.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo New Reader
7/14/08 8:18 p.m.

Cheap, uneven heating junk.

But very durable. We had one that lived through 3 HARD years of College, and it was only replaced because we liberated a nicer one from the confines of oppression in suburbia.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp HalfDork
7/14/08 9:08 p.m.

see I never had problems with uneven heating with mine, my problem was I could not regulate the temp well from side to side like you can on some grills. granted I had mine it was around 5 or 6 years ago.

Strathclyde
Strathclyde New Reader
7/14/08 10:27 p.m.

Well,

Went to Menards and picked one up about an hour ago. Heck, I've spent more time picking out toothpaste, but I popped into the store, and there it was! Just the one I picked out on their website.

It seems pretty sturdy. I'm impressed with the heaviness of the steel--almost as thick as old SAAB sheetmetal!

My wife is itchin' to grill up some brats and steaks. So we'll see about the uneven heating. Can't be any worse than the 12-year-old piece of E36 M3 we've been using.

Josh
Josh Reader
7/14/08 10:38 p.m.

My parents had a little Aussie grill, lasted 4 years outdoors the whole time with no cover in New England, which was fairly impressive for a $99 grill, though I will concur on the uneven heating, I wished it dead from the start. I bought my dad a Ducane for father's day last year and this one is a keeper. Not cheap ($300 for a basic medium sized stainless cabinet with no side burner), but man does it cook nice, and it still looks and feels quality after a year (this one gets covered though )

MitchellC
MitchellC New Reader
7/15/08 12:30 a.m.
Strathclyde wrote: My wife is itchin' to grill up some brats and steaks.

Is this what heaven is like?

nickel_dime
nickel_dime HalfDork
7/15/08 5:31 a.m.

When's dinner. We're all coming over to your house.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/15/08 9:01 a.m.

We are talking about the people who gave us outdoor grilling and rotory washing lines.. what can go wrong?

And if the sheetmetal is as thick as an old saab, it will never die

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BlciIUjffqkFQZXu2EEkbMB4DshzwK7TpBpkhy2OmbevUhfAQ0WPd11zI1zLt0Wx