mtn
mtn MegaDork
5/7/18 11:39 a.m.

Going to Austin for a work conference, and extended the trip and am flying my wife down as well. What should I do? Where should we eat/go for fun? Good live music?

The only things I have on my list are a tour of the Collings Guitar factor, and the Chili Parlor Bar to get a Mad Dog Margarita (and not caring where you are). 

We love good food. Make sure anything you suggest is also fun for the non-alcoholics among us, as my wife is pregnant and won't be drinking. Lots of walking is fine as long as there are frequent places to stop. We'll probably be ubering about, but might get a car. 

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/7/18 1:23 p.m.

When I took my kids and Dad to the IMSA - WEC race at COTA we took one morning and went to the Alamo.  It wasn't that far and there is a Fire museum across the street.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
5/7/18 1:33 p.m.

Lots of good BBQ joints. Find one.

Pete

thedanimal
thedanimal HalfDork
5/7/18 3:17 p.m.

I live in Austin. Hope you like taco's because you can find them anywhere. I'm partial to TacoDeli for breakfast tacos. As far as BBQ, if you're looking to stay in Austin proper. Terry Black's is really good. If you're able to get out (45 mins out) go to Salt Lick for BBQ. Love that place.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/7/18 3:32 p.m.

It took 3 responses before Salt Lick was mentioned. It's an experience. 

thedanimal
thedanimal HalfDork
5/7/18 3:36 p.m.

In reply to captdownshift :

I considered not bringing it up and I think that it's sometimes overblown. But the sliced beef sandwich paired with a delicious beer is an unbeatable combination. Plus it's a cool place to be in and BYOB, hard to beat all that. 

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
5/7/18 3:42 p.m.

16th street (I think that's the main party street in town)  Is full of bars / live music and is a pretty rowdy place.  Keep in mind that Austin is a college town, so there will  be plenty of young hipsters running around.   (I'm pretty sure hipsters originated in Austin--- -the place is full of them)  Regardless, the music scene in Austin is amazing---- nearly everywhere you go you'll be confronted by very talented artists.  Getting around shouldn't be hard, as the pedicabs are all over the place, and handy.

It's a really cool place, with lots to see and do.  Tons of BBQ if that's your thing, but other good choices abound if you investigate a bit.  

COTA is a pretty astounding place---- it feels like the Indianapolis Motor Speedway in scope--- -but it's all new and shiny.  It's outside of town, but worth a visit if you haven't been. 

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
5/7/18 4:06 p.m.

In reply to Joe Gearin :

6th Street.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/7/18 9:50 p.m.

Are you actually staying Austin or Austin proper? Traffic is a B getting downtown if you aren't staying there so it's a big difference. 

Best BBQ in town that serves more than 2 hours a day is mid-town on the north side. Stile Switch.

Taco's are all good. It just depends how disgusted with yourself you want to be in the morning. Only slightly....Taco Deli. Really disgusted....Torchys with the queso. 

There is a good Argentinian place, Buenos Aires Cafe just on the east side. 

7th street to the river on the north side is where all of the bars and places downtown. You name it, you can find it. There are a bunch of craft  breweries in the area and you can enjoy a good variety at the gingerman. Great place if you are a beer man. 

What type of music do you like? Jazz and Blues, Continental Club. Want something a little harder, Hotel Vegas. There are so many different choices. Best thing is to check out www.do-512.com for all of the listings. 

The Domain has some good places and bars if you happen to be up there. I like the Tapas place there. There is also plenty of shopping and other stuff there. 

Let me know. I can guide you in a direction. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
5/7/18 11:49 p.m.

We’re staying downtown—JW Marriott at least for the first night (I’ll be there Sunday the 3rd through the 7th for work). Wife comes in on the 6th; we might stay in that hotel or get a cheaper one for the last two nights. Not sure yet. 

bmw88rider
5/8/18 6:26 a.m.

Then right down town. 

Most of the stuff there is within walking distance or a quick Uber.  It'll be hot by then. I'm talking mid to upper 90's hot so be prepared for that and sunscreen is your friend if you don't want to be a lobster. 

So many choices for food. Uchi is great sushi if you are on a generous expense report. Rainey street has some really good but not cheap places to eat and drink. It's the urban hip place to hang out. 

For wacky donuts, There is voodoo donuts there on 6th street. It's a pac NW expansion that has fun with their donuts. Little archaic that it's cash only but oh well. 

Getting a car is a PITA. Parking is nonexistent and costs most of the time. If you are going to stay in the DT area, Just Uber/Lyft, Etc. Parking at the JW is like $40 a day. 

If you are a motorcycle fan, Revival Cycle on South Congress is a cool place to check out. There is a bunch of wacky shops and fun other things on SoCo so there is something for the wife too. 

calteg
calteg Dork
5/8/18 7:49 a.m.

If you're at the Marriot, Gus' chicken is walking distance, on 2nd street. Incredible hot chicken. I'll second Salt Lick, with the caveat that you only go on Sunday, when they offer their baby back ribs. The rest of the menu is pretty mediocre. Terry Blacks has a phenomenal menu, can't really go wrong with any of their BBQ. Though it'll be hot, Ramen Tatsu-ya is world class ramen. 

88rider is right about bueunos aires, go for lunch and get the lomito beef. They *can* have really great mojitos, though it's highly dependent on who is behind the bar. Uchi is great, but I'd suggest Uchiko's social hour from 5-6:30. It's snobby asian fusion, but damned if it isn't  incredible, and affordable, at least during their happy hour. You'll have to get there right at 5 if you want a spot though. Try the brussel sprouts...seriously.

If you like Mezcal, Techo Mezcaleria is a pretty cool experience. It's a Mezcal only bar that seats about 6 people and it's legitimately hidden. The owner/bartender will talk your ear off about Mezcal. Cool joint.

Tex Mex? They're corporate, but both Chuys and Torchy's are pretty good examples of the breed. For the money, I haven't found much better.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/8/18 9:50 a.m.

Just don't get the voodoo donut beer from Rogue. Ugh. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
5/8/18 9:55 a.m.
captdownshift said:

Just don't get the voodoo donut beer from Rogue. Ugh. 

While I enjoy good beer, I don't go far out of my style comfort zone (Pilsner/Lager/Kolsche/Some stouts and porters)

bmw88rider
5/8/18 6:00 p.m.

Notice I said Uchi on a generous expense report :) Uchiko is great too I just can never get down there before it's packed. 

Man...I can never remember the name but there was an awesome east side interior mexican place near 7th street as well. 

All good though. Getting a good meal and beer is usually not a problem. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Xc1OQ0g7RCx1gMVPn1CkwjSIHdDgLfpKIjvMvrvohMVHdKaKMfAmMePeimRhjsly