dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/11/15 8:54 a.m.

I know detailing isn't super popular around here, but there must be some other OCD folks like me present. Any recommendations on a good detailing forum? I have some education I need to do.

And, on the same topic, I need to pull the seats out of my wife's 2012 Jetta sportwagen thanks to her depositing the majority of a green smoothie between the seats and center console. Once I get them out, what's the best way to effectively clean the carpets?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 SuperDork
2/11/15 8:57 a.m.

Subd because I need to leave how to detail as well.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/11/15 9:13 a.m.

http://www.autopia.org/index.php

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/

Those are the two I like to peruse when the detailing bug strikes.

nepa03focus
nepa03focus HalfDork
2/11/15 9:53 a.m.

I too was going to suggest autopia , there are some crazy good detailer on there. The before and after pics will blow your mind

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/11/15 10:09 a.m.

I'd also like to suggest Detailing World. It's a UK based forum but it does have some US members, and I've learned a lot from that forum over the years.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/11/15 10:59 a.m.

Thanks folks! I'll check each one out.

On the carpet front, I've been doing some reading this morning and have seen mention of steamers, extractors, wet/dry vacs and so on. I'm not opposed to spending some money to get something that works, as I have other cars that could stand to have the carpets cleaned, but, given that I don't detail for a living, I can't see spending $500-$1500 on a professional level machine. Some folks seem to have had success with the Bissell Little Green Machine. I might try one of those.

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver UltraDork
2/11/15 11:14 a.m.

Since you'll have the seats out already, go the extra mile, and pull the entire carpet out. Hit it with shampoo, pressure washer, etc. Hang to dry. It'll look like new.

gamby
gamby UltimaDork
2/11/15 11:15 p.m.

In reply to dyintorace:

Autopia is the best I've seen. That said, the elitism/snobbery there is a bit hard to stomach.

"I only use microfibers even to clean up grimy, cruddy spots in the interior"

"I'll go through three claybars on one car because Mother's pre-wax cleaner on paint is stupid"

"I layer 8 coats of sealant on my paint because it's such an obvious difference".

Meanwhile, you could post a pic of a car finished (LSP'ed as they'd say there) with NuFinish, say that it was finished with Pinnacle Souveran and they'd be humping your leg all day.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VnhWJjtoKuIL9KCU9QMYFWMLqwY4Y9gyWD4nvWwO2s6UCsyvwBCdGPhZSKmMTpCB