1 ... 10 11 12
Anti-stance
Anti-stance HalfDork
5/25/12 10:09 a.m.
Knurled wrote: This, by the way, is where I start blathering on about my idea for strut-mounted hub motors: The motor is concentric with the strut shaft and drives the CV via a ring and pinion. Yeah, it's horribly complex, but still kinda neat in concept.

Thats basically the way I have heard some electric vehicles would work. I am drawing a blank as far as what product I had heard would operate like that. For some reason I am thinking earth movers.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/25/12 10:26 a.m.

You can't get pregnant if you do it in a car.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy Dork
5/25/12 11:51 a.m.
Anti-stance wrote:
Knurled wrote: This, by the way, is where I start blathering on about my idea for strut-mounted hub motors: The motor is concentric with the strut shaft and drives the CV via a ring and pinion. Yeah, it's horribly complex, but still kinda neat in concept.
Thats basically the way I have heard some electric vehicles would work. I am drawing a blank as far as what product I had heard would operate like that. For some reason I am thinking earth movers.

Close enough. Some giant mineing dumptrucks do use hub motors as part of a diesel electric drive train.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UberDork
5/25/12 12:12 p.m.
HappyAndy wrote: Close enough. Some giant mineing dumptrucks do use hub motors as part of a diesel electric drive train.

It works great in earth movers, but the unsprung weight wouldn't be so good in a small car.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/25/12 12:22 p.m.
ShadowSix wrote: In reply to Knurled: http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/mid-engine?region=us

The Oxford English Dictionary was written by English majors, not engineers. That's not the SAE definition.

dculberson
dculberson Dork
5/25/12 1:24 p.m.

So are we speaking English or SAE?

CGLockRacer
CGLockRacer GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/25/12 1:39 p.m.

Here's another one from the same boss:

The first Camrys shipped over had a badge touting their Three Way Automatic Transmissions (Normal, Sport, and Winter)....think about it...

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas Reader
5/25/12 2:51 p.m.

Looking for info on Mk4 GTI weight reduction, came across a thread in a VW forum in which there were a whole string of posts claiming "power-to-weight" ratios of 10-15:1.

So...you just finished telling us your car weighs about 2400lbs... you putting down 24,000 hp brah?

rolls eyes

Anti-stance
Anti-stance HalfDork
5/25/12 2:56 p.m.
JohnInKansas wrote: Looking for info on Mk4 GTI weight reduction, came across a thread in a VW forum in which there were a whole string of posts claiming "power-to-weight" ratios of 10-15:1. So...you just finished telling us your car weighs about 2400lbs... you putting down 24,000 hp brah? *rolls eyes*

I could only assume it was some idiots from this forum: Are you static low or bagged bro

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas Reader
5/25/12 3:06 p.m.

In reply to Anti-stance:

No, but they're entertaining too. Conversation was on triplezoom regarding so-and-so's 12.4 second Mk4 GTI (which was posted on the forum you refer to).

My little brother is on that forum. Fortunately, between the crummy body condition of his car and my cajoling to race it instead of stance it, he HAS seen the foolishness in hella-dumb. When he told the guys he was going to race his car, they pretty much went from being all buddy-buddy to giving him the cold shoulder. He hasn't looked back.

1 ... 10 11 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vD3imCaeRfF6Zhd00vTXgRxSfdKydvx4YaTXSBZsfD5NJJpCY8ehsP13T9nnrw7G