1 2 3 4 ... 12
DrBoost
DrBoost UberDork
5/14/12 12:18 p.m.

The backpressure one makes me break out in hives EVERYTIME!
The other one is that a car does a 1-wheel peel because "that's the driven tire".

Jay
Jay UltraDork
5/14/12 12:19 p.m.

Referring specifically to my Elan M100,

"That car was built in Japan by Isuzu and Lotus just put their badge on it" - no, it was built in Hethel just like every other Lotus, and they outsourced the engine & transmission just like quite a few other Lotuses

"That car was designed by GM(/Kia/Toyota/Isuzu/etc.)" - well no, it was designed in house by Lotus who just happened to be owned by GM at the time

"That car just about bankrupt the company" - I'm glad you're privy to Lotus' financial situation from 1989-1996, but no, not even slightly

"That's not a REAL Elan" - $&("//$&%§("nnnnnnnngnnnnnfacepalmfacepalmfacepalm. It's worth noting that I NEVER hear this from actual Lotus owners (not even the reeeeallly snobby vintage-race-car types), it always comes from either message board numbtards (not you guys ) or dweebs who own Morris Marinas or other dreary things and are just perusing the isles at britcar shows making dumb commentary.

aircooled
aircooled UberDork
5/14/12 12:23 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: - 911s are air cooled.

Well, that is basically true. All 911 were air cooled. The last air cooled Porsche was the 996, which weren't really 911's.. But realistically all rear engined Porsche's are popularly called 911s.

Schmidlap wrote: ...Installing a turbocharger improves fuel economy....

It certainly can. Adding a turbo is a great way to improve economy, you just have to set it up for that, most don't.

Sorry. It seems like the thread is going in a bit different direction then originally intended.

I get a lot of "Corvairs roll over". If I have time I will stand by that back of the car and point to about my mid shin (about bumper height) and show them that that is where the crankshaft of the engine sits and that the weight in the car is VERY low.... not an easy car to roll.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/14/12 12:28 p.m.
Jay wrote: "That car just about bankrupt the company" - I'm glad you're privy to Lotus' financial situation from 1989-1996, but no, not even slightly

That one's obviously not true. Lotus has a proven record of being constantly almost bankrupt that predates the M100

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/14/12 12:33 p.m.

"There's still such a thing as 'domestic' and 'foreign' cars."

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/14/12 12:33 p.m.
aircooled wrote:
Well, that is basically true. All 911 were air cooled. The last air cooled Porsche was the 996, which weren't really 911's.. But realistically all rear engined Porsche's are popularly called 911s.

Ahem. You meant to type 993, yes? Just a slip of the finger on the old 10-key, right?

Jay
Jay UltraDork
5/14/12 12:34 p.m.

Also, for fun, try showing up to any kind of meetup/show/gathering of gearheads in a Delorean, then just stand around near it and time how long it takes someone to utter the word "cocaine." If it's more than a minute, you're doing well.

Yes, there is SOME truth to the cocaine story but the ones you inevitably hear are "JZD went to/is still in prison" - no - "JZD hid the cocaine in the doors" - no! - "that's why it had to be a gull-wing" - NO!! (WTF?) - "JZD & Colin Chapman bilked the British government for millions on those things" - ...well, okay, fine.

The other fun quips that WILL be said are "cool doors but if someone parks too close to one it's impossible to get out" (you need less than 30 cm clearance to completely open a Delorean door), and "I head hoverboards were real but they couldn't be sold because they were too dangerous!!1" - you can believe that if you want to, it is cooler than reality.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UberDork
5/14/12 12:50 p.m.

Used to have a Bricklin, never quite got it on the road to take to a show, but you should have heard things that were said by people walking by our driveway while we were working on it.

Nope, not a Delorean, not a Delorean rip-off (its older), not a Lambo, no, not a kit, not a ford/amc/chevy/whatever, they were their own manufacturer...

I may get another one someday as a fun driver / carshow thing.. Want a racecar quite a bit more right now, so not for quite awhile!

Its just fun having a car that stumps people at a show.

madmallard
madmallard HalfDork
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: - rotors warp

the whole thing? I just thought the surface wear pattern warped...

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand Reader
Jay wrote: Also, for fun, try showing up to any kind of meetup/show/gathering of gearheads in a Delorean, then just stand around near it and time how long it takes someone to utter the word "cocaine." If it's more than a minute, you're doing well. Yes, there is SOME truth to the cocaine story but the ones you inevitably hear are "JZD went to/is still in prison" - no - "JZD hid the cocaine in the doors" - no! - "that's why it had to be a gull-wing" - NO!! (WTF?) - "JZD & Colin Chapman bilked the British government for millions on those things" - ...well, okay, fine. The other fun quips that WILL be said are "cool doors but if someone parks too close to one it's impossible to get out" (you need less than 30 cm clearance to completely open a Delorean door), and "I head hoverboards were real but they couldn't be sold because they were too dangerous!!1" - well, okay, you can believe that if you want to.

Did anything happen when you hit 88mph?

(sorry, I know that's gotta be getting old by now.... along with "where's the flux capacitor?")

njansenv
njansenv Dork
5/14/12 12:55 p.m.
Knurled wrote: Torque IS what accelerates you. Horsepower is just a convenient way to balance torque against engine speed and gearing (Xhp is Xhp whether it's high torque/tall gear or low torque/short gear)

TRUTH.

I can buy a new watercooled 911 just up the road if I had the cash. Porsche calls it a 911: far be it from me to correct them.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
5/14/12 1:08 p.m.

Just because your speedometer numbers go up to 150mph, this does not mean your car will do 150mph, or 120, or 85, or whatever dummy......

BMW cars are Bimmers, not Beemers.

Drag Racing takes less talent than other motorsports. (not true)

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
5/14/12 1:19 p.m.
Javelin wrote:
aircooled wrote:
*Ahem*. You meant to type 993, yes? Just a slip of the finger on the old 10-key, right?

Well if any 911 is air cooled than any fluid cooled car is air cooled. I would call a 911 oil cooled and most other ICE vehicles water cooled. Most rotary engined cars are sort of outliers because they are a pretty good mix of both.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker UltimaDork
5/14/12 1:22 p.m.
Javelin wrote:
aircooled wrote:
*Ahem*. You meant to type 993, yes? Just a slip of the finger on the old 10-key, right?

They were all OIL COOLED until the 996, which was water cooled.

Salanis
Salanis PowerDork
5/14/12 1:23 p.m.
Keith wrote:
Jay wrote: "That car just about bankrupt the company" - I'm glad you're privy to Lotus' financial situation from 1989-1996, but no, not even slightly
That one's obviously not true. Lotus has a proven record of being constantly almost bankrupt that predates the M100

I thought it was true of the M100... and every other car they made.

ditchdigger
ditchdigger Dork
5/14/12 2:09 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: They were all OIL COOLED until the 996, which was water cooled.

You at least have to give in a little and say they are both air and oil cooled.

Those cooling fins on the cylinders aren't exactly transferring heat out of the oil.

Sure the other system cools and circulates the oil but neither will work without the other.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/14/12 2:25 p.m.
aircooled wrote:
Hungary Bill wrote: ..."Did you know if you lay a board across your rotors and roll them across a flat surface the board wont move?" (referring to up or down motion) Uh.... that would make them "circles". Although the sides are rounded, these are still triangles...
He's thinking of Reuleaux's rotor: It's close, but not quite:

I'll just leave this here...

How Round Is Your Circle

Klayfish
Klayfish Dork
5/14/12 2:50 p.m.

Someone once had the nerve to tell me that the answer to everything isn't Miata. Simpleton....

akamcfly
akamcfly HalfDork
5/14/12 4:00 p.m.

10w30 in the summer 5w30 in the winter.

I run 0w30 year round.

Strizzo
Strizzo UberDork
5/14/12 4:13 p.m.

i overheard a guy talking about "those SVO mustangs" that had a engine "designed for Ford by BMW and were supercharged" when i was working at AZ.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado PowerDork
5/14/12 4:17 p.m.
ditchdigger wrote: Those cooling fins on the cylinders aren't exactly transferring heat out of the oil.

But I'm sure they're trying as hard as they can.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
5/14/12 4:17 p.m.
akamcfly wrote: 10w30 in the summer 5w30 in the winter. I run 0w30 year round.

I hear ya. I run 20w-50 all year round.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 Dork
5/14/12 4:29 p.m.

Cummins is owned by Ford. Or sometimes I hear it as Cummings.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/14/12 4:48 p.m.

V8 Miatas don't handle

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker UltimaDork
5/14/12 4:50 p.m.
ditchdigger wrote:
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: They were all OIL COOLED until the 996, which was water cooled.
You at least have to give in a little and say they are both air and oil cooled.

All cars are but you don't say a Chevelle is air cooled - you say it is water cooled even though air does cool the water as it cools the oil in the oil cooler on my 911.

So, if you are willing to concede that every car ever made was air cooled then yes, a 911 is air cooled to some extent.

1 2 3 4 ... 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ooee5JVnZ2GrnvTltyIeDgvWXq5onOwAlFJzOxHPhka8Hhnc3LvsNxgVxfPnan0q