1 2 3 4
Mitchell
Mitchell UberDork
2/24/17 12:49 p.m.

I hear that canceling headphones are a thing.

Klayfish
Klayfish UberDork
2/24/17 12:51 p.m.
pres589 wrote: In reply to Klayfish: Yes, you could have prevented it; you didn't need to have them. I didn't bring something new into this world to annoy you.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you're joking...cause if you aren't, I would be utterly speechless...and laugh my ass off at you.

Oh, and I have twins, so hell yeah, I used Benadryl when we flew with them as babies. They slept like...well...babies.

pres589
pres589 PowerDork
2/24/17 12:51 p.m.

Look, I just get tired of parents that decided to have kids act like they're somehow suffering through something they can't help. "I can't stop this from happening, you know, this thing I decided to do" is a really irresponsible attitude on something as important as having kids. Be responsible for the outcome of your decisions and own it. Right?

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
2/24/17 12:53 p.m.

All you anti-kid people are silly. It's literally the only way that humans are here is for some of us to have kids. Whining about "babies this" and "babies that" is worse than vegans decrying meat consumption or the self righteous people that go on at length about how they don't drive cars or have a television. Because there really and truly have to be children in the world or we would fail as a species.

"I don't want to see kids" is idiotic. What you're really saying is "I don't want to see people." Which is fine - but don't expect other people to bend to your will as if you're some sort of king of all men. Hide in a cabin in the woods. Stay the berkeley off of public means of transportation at the very least. It's unbelievably selfish to think that everyone in the world should do things exactly the way you want them done. Especially when they're doing something so natural and as much a part of the human condition as having kids.

Get it straight: not having kids is fine, but it makes you the weirdo. Acting like people that have kids are the weirdos is just moronic or delusional.

pres589
pres589 PowerDork
2/24/17 12:56 p.m.

... who said that they didn't want to see kids? Where did that come from?

"Get it straight: not having kids is fine, but it makes you the weirdo. Acting like people that have kids are the weirdos is just moronic or delusional."

Hahaha pfft, "join our cult or else, weirdo, and get a haircut". No one is attacking parents for being parents. I don't like lazy parents that don't try to attend to their kids during a flip out. And it's okay to be annoyed at loud noises, right? I mean, is that not allowable now?

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UberDork
2/24/17 1:10 p.m.

This is exactly the argument I came in here to read. Thanks for not disappointing.

NEALSMO
NEALSMO UltraDork
2/24/17 1:14 p.m.
ultraclyde wrote: This is exactly the argument I came in here to read. Thanks for not disappointing.

I gave up the book of faces a few weeks ago, so I too am enjoying the drama I've been starved from lately

Klayfish
Klayfish UberDork
2/24/17 1:24 p.m.
pres589 wrote: Look, I just get tired of parents that decided to have kids act like they're somehow suffering through something they can't help. "I can't stop this from happening, you know, this thing I decided to do" is a really irresponsible attitude on something as important as having kids. Be responsible for the outcome of your decisions and own it. Right?

Where's the smiley face with laughing so hard you cry??

It's not "suffering", it's called parenthood. Some days do suck, and sorry, it's something I can't always control. Nor would I want to. So enlighten me...8 month old baby on an airplane. Air pressure changes, child is scared and confused and cries. Exactly what is it you think a responsible parent should do besides try their best to comfort him/her? Oh wait, let me guess...simply don't have kids because they may cry. Thanks for the chuckle...

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
2/24/17 1:30 p.m.

Good grief. I try to get some work done and all hell breaks loose in here.

pres589
pres589 PowerDork
2/24/17 1:33 p.m.

In reply to Klayfish:

Are you new at this? There are things you can do;

One of many articles on the subject

What's funny about this?

02Pilot
02Pilot Dork
2/24/17 1:37 p.m.
dculberson wrote: Get it straight: not having kids is fine, but it makes you the weirdo. Acting like people that have kids are the weirdos is just moronic or delusional.

Perhaps, but not by much (assuming you're defining "weirdo" as "minority"). US Census Bureau indicates that, as of 2014, 47.6% of US women between 15-44 have never had children.

As far as what to do with them once they're here, I was raised to abide by the maxim that children should be seen and not heard. It was good enough for my parents and Victorian England, it's good enough for me.

Get off my lawn!

Klayfish
Klayfish UberDork
2/24/17 1:39 p.m.
pres589 wrote: What's funny about this?

You

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
2/24/17 1:39 p.m.

Am I reading a political post on my Facebook page with Clinton and Trump supporters arguing about X?

Jesus Christ.

Klayfish
Klayfish UberDork
2/24/17 1:42 p.m.
pres589 wrote: In reply to Klayfish: Are you new at this? There *are* things you can do; One of many articles on the subject What's funny about this?

Oh, and in reference to your Fisher Price article, that's parenting 101. So again, one more time, I ask you...what exactly is it you'd suggest a parent do when their 8 month old is crying on an airplane...and let's just presume that they are trying what you reference in the article. You do realize that even that method isn't 100% foolproof. Sometimes a baby gets so flustered by it, no way on earth they're going to take a bottle or do anything else you want them to. Sometimes, no matter what you do, they'll cry. Then what?

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
2/24/17 1:43 p.m.

HI! I'M A SHINY HAPPY PERSON AND PROUD OF IT.

If you bring kids to a plane, where people have little chance of changing seats and no chance of getting off, then you darn well better control the little buggers. They are YOUR kids not ours and we shouldn't have to suffer because you can't control them.

Same thing in a restaurant, show, music venue, etc. If you can't control your kids then simply don't go. None of the rest of us "signed on" for the kids.

With that said, I've had 3 kids and 4 grandkids and all of them were well behaved because we trained them to be before we let them out in public. Even the 4 month old and the 1 year old grandkids are looked after and if they begin to create an issue then WE get up and more or leave. It's our problem not yours.

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock UltimaDork
2/24/17 1:43 p.m.

I second the get a haircut part (looking at you Curtis )

Klayfish
Klayfish UberDork
2/24/17 1:48 p.m.
carguy123 wrote: With that said, I've had 3 kids and 4 grandkids and all of them were well behaved because we trained them to be before we let them out in public. Even the 4 month old and the 1 year old grandkids are looked after and if they begin to create an issue then WE get up and more or leave. It's our problem not yours.

Yes, I'll keep that in mind. Next time a little baby is crying on an airplane no matter how hard the parents are trying to control him or her, I'll let them know that they should get up and leave the plane...at 35,000 feet. Clearly you are such a better parent than everyone else, because I'm sure your children NEVER cried at an inopportune time.

What was the line Keanu Reeves said in the Parenthood movie? "You need a license to own a gun...you need a license to go fishing...put they'll let any shiny happy person, a-hole be a parent".

As I said before, I'm a damn good parent, and I don't mind saying so. I feel I have done incredibly well in raising my kids. I also agree that if my kids are crying uncontrollably in a public setting, I will be the one to get up and move, out of consideration for others. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt (and had the kid puke on the t-shirt). But on an airplane, what precisely is it I can do if all control methods fail?

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
2/24/17 1:53 p.m.

I fly a lot. Babies on planes don't bother me, because I use earphones. I use earphones because I fly a lot, and I don't like to hear babies screaming. (or conversations others are having)

I'd much rather have a baby screaming in the seat next to me, than someone inhaling McDonalds. That E36 M3 stinks--- and I don't have earplugs for my nose. Seriously....you can't go an hour and a 1/2 without shoveling garbage down your throat? I don't have a problem with folks bringing food on a plane for longer flights, but please bring something that won't stink up the entire plane.

I was recently on a flight where two very large folks poured themselves into the seats next to me. They were big enough that I had flesh pressing up against me for the entire flight--- as the one next to me was overfilling her seat. As soon as we're up in the air, the tray tables come down, and they each open a big box of fried chicken. It reeked, stunk up the whole plane. Now that is inconsiderate.

pres589
pres589 PowerDork
2/24/17 1:54 p.m.

In reply to Klayfish:

You grin and bear it, like anything else that goes sideways, despite your best efforts. Sometimes people are going to yell at you for situations you created. You brought a kid into a place that you believe will make them miserable and screaming, apparently, you're going to get berated for it most likely. It's that responsibility thing I mentioned earlier.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/24/17 1:58 p.m.

You guys realize that babies cry for any reason. It is their primary form of communication.

There are many things you can try to quiet them down, it doesn't always work.

We have flown with our baby 3 times as an infant.

People fall into 2 categories... those that realize they were babies and those that dont.

Just like everything else in life, a little patience and understanding goes a long way.

Let me add this.... if the parents are doing nothing to settle the child, they are shiny happy people.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/24/17 2:22 p.m.

Nelson from The Simpsons:

Racing: "Haha - you lost."
Video Games: "Haha - you died."
Work: "Haha - you got passed over for promotion again."
Golf: "Haha - you shanked it."
Relationships: "Haha - she dumped you."
Babies on planes: "Haha - you can't even comfort one of the most important people in your life. I could literally spend 30 seconds on google and send you a link to tell you what you are doing wrong. You're the most miserable parent I have ever seen. Why did you decide to have kids? (Did you EVEN decide to have kids? You know HOW kids are made right?) Didn't you know that taking a kid on an airplane is pure torture for them? I should report you to CPS, child torturer. Everyone else on this plane is staring at you because they all feel the same way."

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
2/24/17 2:22 p.m.
02Pilot wrote: Perhaps, but not by much (assuming you're defining "weirdo" as "minority"). US Census Bureau indicates that, as of 2014, 47.6% of US women between 15-44 have never had children.

Nice statistic. If the age range were 22-44, I would give it some credence. I'd like to think most females choose to forgo reproduction until they have graduated from high school, at least.

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
2/24/17 2:31 p.m.

Never get on a plane without headphones and if there are babies about, hope that they either remain asleep or happy for the duration of the flight.

EDIT: Also keep in mind that whatever irritation a crying baby may cause you, it is harder for the parent trying to calm the baby.

The0retical
The0retical Dork
2/24/17 2:34 p.m.

Man I was going to add something about "If reclining my seat was an issue the feature would be disabled." but you guys are doing a pretty good job with just babies.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
2/24/17 2:40 p.m.

After 20+ years of working in an open office environment, I've become pretty good at blocking out random crying and nonsensical conversations.

1 2 3 4

This topic is locked. No further posts are being accepted.

Our Preferred Partners
BVALi9ZfuWdhtRmUzbrrM8UPShPmwsVUPLdOjEMM3SPl5UUxNTLXRz3DvmhWPI0V