aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
4/13/18 12:40 p.m.

I sure someone here has a suggestion.  I am looking to run power into the back of the back yard.  I can run conduit up the wall, under the patio cover, and down to the lawn, but I am unsure what the best way to get the power out of the wall box is.

I do have an exterior box (thankfully). If the box was on the outside of the wall it would be easy but I really don't want to put a hole in the exterior wall.  Is there a box, or a way to "stack" an external box on top of an internal one? (I suspect I could hack something up of course, I have tools...)

Also, it looks like running PVC shielded wire for the underground portion is the way to go?  I guess there is no worry about water intrusion if the conduit exit straight down.

Thanks

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
4/13/18 1:03 p.m.

Metal box extension with knockouts is your friend 

wait, that’s a picture of an exterior outlet?

you can get a surface mount exterior box or extension to install over that outlet that will have a knockout or plug to install your conduit to that will also accept a gfci receptacle (required for outside unless that outlet is protected off another) and have a cover to protect the outlet from the elements.  Also have to verify that the circuit can handle any additional loads or receptacles.  

This dude is what I think you need in addition to a weatherproof cover 

https://www.homedepot.com/p/BELL-1-Gang-6-Outlets-1-2-in-Threaded-Weatherproof-Extension-Adapter-Gray-5400-0B/204208030

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
4/13/18 1:11 p.m.

Yes, that's an exterior outlet.

An extender, OK.  Looked it up and yes, a gang box extender appears to be what I need.   I just didn't know what it was called.

Now, to see if Home Despot carries one...

Thanks

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
4/13/18 1:13 p.m.
aircooled said:

Yes, that's an exterior outlet.

An extender, OK.  Looked it up and yes, a gang box extender appears to be what I need.   I just didn't know what it was called.

Now, to see if Home Despot carries one...

Thanks

Edited above with the link

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
4/13/18 1:16 p.m.

This looks like what I need to look for:

imgon
imgon Reader
4/13/18 7:24 p.m.

As Patrick mentioned,  make sure the circuit can handle the load you want to add. It is likely that is on a 15 amp circuit.  That extension ring is the best option, however because of the stucco you will want to add some additional means to help seal the gaps. The ring will come with a foam gasket, I would run a bead of silicone around the existing box and then install the gasket and ring. Otherwise the old box will.fill.up.with water everything every time it rains. Use a piece of 1/2" PVC pipe to get into the ground to protect the wire. (This will just be a protective sleeve) You can use UF cable directly  buried in the ground. It will need to be 18" below grade, or you can run PVC all the way and bury it 12" and use THWN single conductors, either #14 or #12 depending on amperage of circuit. If going  all the way with PVC, use expansion fittings where it comes out of the ground for settling/shifting so the pipe doesn't pull out of the box.

rustyvw
rustyvw Dork
4/13/18 7:34 p.m.
Our Preferred Partners
PCjTXjilGkmSh7glCZlguz5SJcOKBjQW