Nugi
Nugi New Reader
12/8/18 10:32 p.m.

Found a local guy with an engineless sw20 (1991 mr2) for a decent price, and I have always wanted to swap one. Its a bit rough, but looks otherwise complete. From the pics it appears to be an t-top NA car, but hard to tell. Says it has the trans, but no engine. 

Has anyone done a swap? Not picky, but was looking at the camary v6, or maybe a 2zz or 2zr, even a k-series. What are my options inside a tight budget? Am I jumping into a money pit?  What, besides the rocker rust, do I look for? Do I really just want a miata? Whats the deal with airline food?

My goal is a rwd mountain road burner with decent power, nothing wild, but not boring either. Figure some konis, urethane, and swaybars should sort the suspension. Really just worried about powerplants and parts availability. Open to any and all advice.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/8/18 10:35 p.m.

Well, If it's an NA then it coupe be a money pit. There are some build threads here about the swap. Look in there first to get an idea. I'd pass personally but my time is tight.  

Nugi
Nugi New Reader
12/8/18 10:42 p.m.

Time is not tight here, and I plan on a extended build if I go for it. 

What about the N/A might lead to higher cost? I know the trans isnt as stout, is that it? 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
12/9/18 12:17 p.m.

The answer lies in the first word of the topic title.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Reader
12/9/18 12:29 p.m.

Not worth it 

Nugi
Nugi New Reader
12/9/18 2:51 p.m.

Well, I went to go see it at the goading and disgust of various friends.

Short answer, I think I am gonna pass. 

Long story:

Flat black rattlecan 1991 mr2 na was revealed after a few miles of windy mountain dirt roads. LOTS of quarter rust under door, and including swingarm mounts. But no rust whatsoever anywhere else. Engine and trans were suprisingly present, but with some 'custom crankcase ventilation' lol. T tops were not leaking at all. Not so basketcase, but cursed by the red devil. Guy was looking for 500, and its a bit too much of a project for me. 

Thanks for all the input. Looks like I should have googled longer as I eventually found: https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/everyone-is-doing-it-1mz-swapped-sw20-mr2/131313/page1/ and hes just down the mtn, started with something way nicer, and still way over my planned budget. Although, I am jealous regardless.

Can supply contact info and pics if you are braver than I. 

BTD
BTD Reader
12/11/18 12:24 a.m.
Nugi said:

Well, I went to go see it at the goading and disgust of various friends.

Short answer, I think I am gonna pass. 

Long story:

Flat black rattlecan 1991 mr2 na was revealed after a few miles of windy mountain dirt roads. LOTS of quarter rust under door, and including swingarm mounts. But no rust whatsoever anywhere else. Engine and trans were suprisingly present, but with some 'custom crankcase ventilation' lol. T tops were not leaking at all. Not so basketcase, but cursed by the red devil. Guy was looking for 500, and its a bit too much of a project for me. 

Thanks for all the input. Looks like I should have googled longer as I eventually found: https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/everyone-is-doing-it-1mz-swapped-sw20-mr2/131313/page1/ and hes just down the mtn, started with something way nicer, and still way over my planned budget. Although, I am jealous regardless.

Can supply contact info and pics if you are braver than I. 

Hey, that's my thread!

You can do a V6 swap for cheap, but you need to very handy with a wrench and comfortable doing your own fab work. I'm not, so I paid a shop, which is why I went over budget. In either case, starting with a clean car should be priority #1. My body was decent, but not great, and it will never be perfect. Buy the cleanest donor you can, it's worth it. 

Happy to chat with anyone about the swap, and doubly so if you're local. Let me know if you ever come by Longmont and I would be happy to show you my car!

Fladiver64
Fladiver64 New Reader
12/11/18 7:39 p.m.

We are doing the same swap as a challenge car build thread here https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/1991-mr2-1mz-fe-swap-challenge-build/144188/page1/.

We started with a $400 shell, has some rust in rockers but well within our ability to fix. At challenge pricing, I was not seeing much better. Our engine donor is a 1999 Solara 5 speed 1mz-fe. Our plan is stock engine swap, stock na transmission, which should be fine as long as you can resist dropping the clutch too much. Clearly, we are budget limited so we have to do the fabrication ourselves, with 4 high school kids to help, what can go wrong.

The total budget for us is $2000 follow alone and see how we do.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2NGHTY8KKcj2gxrZ1y3bog5eRs9cZ6onWMz1BPiHIsLm0Jv83MAgZq4ekH3iJttI