Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/14/19 11:51 p.m.

Since the hive knows everything.....anyone have a recommendation for a battery powered bass heavy Bluetooth speaker? 

Heavy emphasis on bass heavy, size doesn't really matter and price depends on how awesome it is

RossD
RossD MegaDork
8/15/19 8:36 a.m.

I think you will find big bass needs big diameter speakers. Those need a lot of power. Batteries arent great when you get big enough for great bass.

Want good bass? Drag some deep cycle 12v batteries and use a car sub and amp around with you.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UltraDork
8/15/19 8:56 a.m.

SWMBO and I were Elton and "Tiny Dancer" for Halloween a couple years ago.  I needed a cheap bluetooth speaker to play "Tiny Dancer," for our grand entrance at the party.

I bought this thing.  It advertises having " bone-shaking bass," well I think that's some marketing hyperbole, it uses passive radiators for bass, but I was surprised at how much sound, and bass can come out of such a small speaker.  The battery lasts a long time too.

Well worth the $20 investment.

Meidong Portable Bluetooth Speaker

Antihero
8/15/19 9:42 a.m.
RossD said:

I think you will find big bass needs big diameter speakers. Those need a lot of power. Batteries arent great when you get big enough for great bass.

Want good bass? Drag some deep cycle 12v batteries and use a car sub and amp around with you.

The speaker just needs a lot of xmax really, diameter is secondary.

I'm just looking for the best bass I can get in a battery powered speaker, not compared to something else. I'd drag out the 3k watt subwoofer section of our PA otherwise lol

Antihero
8/15/19 9:48 a.m.
bigdaddylee82 said:

SWMBO and I were Elton and "Tiny Dancer" for Halloween a couple years ago.  I needed a cheap bluetooth speaker to play "Tiny Dancer," for our grand entrance at the party.

I bought this thing.  It advertises having " bone-shaking bass," well I think that's some marketing hyperbole, it uses passive radiators for bass, but I was surprised at how much sound, and bass can come out of such a small speaker.  The battery lasts a long time too.

Well worth the $20 investment.

Meidong Portable Bluetooth Speaker

That does look interesting, thanks!

barefootskater
barefootskater Dork
8/15/19 9:49 a.m.

My brother has a Sony BT speaker that is overly bass-y. It's big though, two 8" speakers IIRC and takes a few hours to charge up, but seems pretty robust. We used it to do music at his wedding (outdoors, under a pavilion). I'll see if I can get the model number.

A quick google shows me this which I believe is the exact unit. Not exactly cheap, but I'd buy one.

Antihero
8/15/19 10:04 a.m.
barefootskater said:

My brother has a Sony BT speaker that is overly bass-y. It's big though, two 8" speakers IIRC and takes a few hours to charge up, but seems pretty robust. We used it to do music at his wedding (outdoors, under a pavilion). I'll see if I can get the model number.

A quick google shows me this which I believe is the exact unit. Not exactly cheap, but I'd buy one.

That does look pretty cool.

The reason I ask is it's gonna be a gift for my bass playing dad, there can never be enough bass and it needs to be portable battery powered for jobsites wherethere isn't power yet. He bought one off Amazon which crapped out in a week or 2, 2bass was the name I think?

barefootskater
barefootskater Dork
8/15/19 10:12 a.m.

In reply to Antihero :

For a job site I would for sure grab one. Probably catch it on sale somewhere or find a coupon and save a few dollars for beverages.

the_machina
the_machina New Reader
8/19/19 12:33 p.m.

Most of the power tool brands have either a jobsite radio or a jobsite bluetooth speaker that's powered by the same batteries as his drill/saw/light/etc. Grab whichever one matches his brand of tools so that he never has to remember to charge his speaker, just swap in a fresh battery whenever it dies. He's already used to charging his tool batteries, this makes his life much easier.

Those are also generally built ruggedly enough to survive on a construction site.

Of course, the other option would be a battery-powered PA system like:

https://www.amazon.com/ION-Audio-Block-Rocker-Plus/dp/B07C32XSH1/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=battery+pa+system&qid=1566236530&s=gateway&sr=8-3

But those are going to be heavy, have shorter battery life, and probably louder than he really needs.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/19/19 6:24 p.m.

Klipsch KMC3 

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
8/19/19 6:43 p.m.

A buddy of mine has one of these. I was pretty impressed. 

HFmaxi
HFmaxi Reader
8/20/19 12:40 p.m.

My wife has a JBL Xtreme 2 she uses for fitness instruction. It's pretty good on bass and will actually fill a room (better if against a wall or in a corner). JBL also has the boombox which is suppose to have moar bass. Both are on the pricy side but make lots of noise and have batteries that last.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GwOCGRfPH2mISaWmNYs2i8FD4xEJUNjOtDvrI5SxyJoWJiFOqL6YinSQVzOY9gbu